Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Removal Companies in to Quote

Removal Companies in to Quote

Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice
Default Re: Removal Companies in to Quote

We've had Fox, John Mason and Whites in to quote. Fox is the cheapest so far and the most professional too. Think we may go with them.

I was also told not to pack any perfume in the container which i was so disappointed about. Will have to wear them all before we leave to get rid of them! You'll smell me about three days before you see me.......!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Beastie
I would recommend getting as many quotes as you can, even from companies that you don't particularly want to use but know will provide a low quote. Once you have all the quotes in you can then send all of the companies notification of the cheapest price you have been given in order to provide them with the 'oportunity' to revise their quote in line with the lowest received.

You will find that all of the companies will lower their quotes to secure your business. Once the revised prices are in you can then select the company that impressed you the most. Their revised price may not be the lowest but you will get their services cheaper than they originally quoted.

We have not moved yet, and are no longer planning on doing so for a couple of years. However, before our plans changed we went through the process of getting quotes ourselves. We used Fox who provided the lowest price but appeared completely innept as the benchmark for the other companies we contacted. The other companies all dropped their prices, some by a considerable amount.

The way all the prices suddenly lowered made us wonder why the original quotes were less competitive in the first place. We came to the conclusion that they all factor in the possibility that people will do what we did so they up their first price to give them room to lower it if necessary in order to get your business and still make a reasonable profit.

If you have the time to do this then it makes sense. Takes a little bit longer but why pay the first price they quote if you can get them to provide the same service cheaper?
I was going to say that!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:00 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Batfink
We've had Fox, John Mason and Whites in to quote. Fox is the cheapest so far and the most professional too. Think we may go with them.

I was also told not to pack any perfume in the container which i was so disappointed about. Will have to wear them all before we leave to get rid of them! You'll smell me about three days before you see me.......!
Thats interesting I was told to put them in a tupperware box?
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice

Interesting! Which company told you that...?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Fuchsiagirl - which company did you use.

Ruby
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by KJM
Quotes to date without checking the small print.

This is a sole 20ft container

Robinson £4095.00
GB Liners £4447.00
Fox £4130.00

then insurance on top.
Fox will negotiate on the cost of the container and the cost of the instance
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:27 pm
Arrived Calgary 28 Jan 09

thebakers4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KJM
I had the following 3 companies in today

GB Liners
Robinsons
Foxs

The longest time spent with me was GB liners and the shortest time spent with me was Foxs. The most professional company was GB Liners and the least professional company was Foxs.

Even before I get the quotes GB Liners came tops with information, professionalism, consideration, flexibility and thought into protecting your processions.

Robinson was a close 2nd and Foxs were last. Foxs didn't even provide all the information, show information on how they pack and he was in and out like a flash as if he somewhere else to go. He did provide one bit information that the other removal companies hadn't consider when I move. ( Thanks Foxs)

Overall at this GB liners all the way.

K
Hi there, we are off to Calgary in January and I too have done all the quote stuff. If you use co's like Fox, Robinsons etc it'll cost somewhere in the region of £5,000 (thats roughly the quotes we had from the big name co's about a year ago) for a 20ft container.

We are going to use a company called Maritime Cargo. You pack your own stuff ( or get someone into do it for you - costs approx £300-500) The truck n container arrive at your house and you load it yourself (or again can get someone into do it - prob costs about £300) Maritime then ship it and delivery to the door in Calgary (after customs) and the contents of the container are then emptied into your new home for you.

For this they have quoted me £2870 from South Wales to Calgary. This is for a 20ft container.

When the big name co's came round to price us up they were doubtful we'd get everything into a 20ft container! We had an average family size 4 bedroom house with kit for a family of 4 - we sold our house 18 months ago and rented for a while. We are now in a smaller 2 bed furnished flat and everything is packed and in a storage container ready to go - we got it all into a 20ft container and have room to spare - albeit not alot but yes we got it all in.

If you want to try this and get a quote, call Andy Booth at Maritime, his no is 01449 616100, tell him Jan Baker recommended you as I have been very impressed so far! Also, the big names state a 6-8 week wait for your belongings, with Maritime it will be there in approx 20 days - hows that for a difference!

Hope this helps
Jan
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:55 pm
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

GB Liners took our goods on the 27th Dec 2006

Cost: $2,225 we packed the boxes,

My goods where delivered on Monday the 16th of APRIL 2 days off of 16 WEEKS to ship from Scotland (Glasgow area) to Ontario Canada..

Their reason: Our goods where on a short consignment.

Apart from that, every thing was good. No damage or anything, just a sore back from sleeping on a air bed from the 27th Dec.

I think shipping out around the xmas time was a mistake for us as there is less shipping so I was told.

Last edited by Sutherlands; Nov 6th 2008 at 10:56 pm. Reason: Added more information
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RubyRose
Fuchsiagirl - which company did you use.

Ruby
We used Burke Bros - but I wouldn't recommend them The actual packing and delivery times were dreadful
Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Sharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant future

this thread is so helpful!
Thanks all for sharing all this info!

RE:
Originally Posted by thebakers4

We are going to use a company called Maritime Cargo. You pack your own stuff ( or get someone into do it for you - costs approx £300-500) The truck n container arrive at your house and you load it yourself (or again can get someone into do it - prob costs about £300) Maritime then ship it and delivery to the door in Calgary (after customs) and the contents of the container are then emptied into your new home for you.
Am I right in thinking this DIY method means you can't get insurance?
Or was it that it creates problems with Customs?

I can't remember what it was, but there's a good reason why the shipping company also does the packing, right? Something about the contents having to be listed and signed off for customs, right?

Otherwise wouldn't most people pack their own?

Thanks,
Anna
Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:04 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharonanana

RE:

I can't remember what it was, but there's a good reason why the shipping company also does the packing, right? Something about the contents having to be listed and signed off for customs, right?

Thanks,
Anna

If you pack it yourself it USUALLY means you have to clear customs yourself.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:58 pm
Arrived Calgary 28 Jan 09

thebakers4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
If you pack it yourself it USUALLY means you have to clear customs yourself.
I have been told customs clearance takes 15-20 mins, you go there with you packing list, they have a quick look at it and then have a nose in your container - which if it is full they arent going to see alot, they then stamp your papers and the container is released for delivery.

If you meet a broker at customs (having paid approx £300) pretty much the same happens and they just stand there - maybe someone who has been through it already can confirm whether I am right or wrong??

If there are any questions about the bits you have in the container only you can answer them, but yes for a few of approx £300 you can get the customs clearance done for you but you still have to be there.

Cheers Jan
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute

We used PSS and were pleased with packing / office work etc. However, not all our goods arrived safely They too said no food or things made of wicker / natural materials, and clean all outdoor equipment of dirt and mud - unless you want customs to see your dirty things and then charge you for cleaning!
Yes, you can get marmite here and lots of other 'British' foods. We had monster munch crisps yesterday from the local store and custard creams.

I thin perhaps all shippers are much of muchness really and there will always be a tale to tell about each company.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:44 pm
Banned

paul090971 is an unknown quantity at this point

£1734 is the price I can get a 20ft container from Liverpool to delivered Biggar in Canada. Dont think you are getting a good deal, removal companies make tonnnes of cash, doing it yourself is cheaper, getting me to arrange the shipping for you is even cheaper!!!

Paul

Originally Posted by thebakers4
Hi there, we are off to Calgary in January and I too have done all the quote stuff. If you use co's like Fox, Robinsons etc it'll cost somewhere in the region of £5,000 (thats roughly the quotes we had from the big name co's about a year ago) for a 20ft container.

For this they have quoted me £2870 from South Wales to Calgary. This is for a 20ft container.

When the big name co's came round to price us up they were doubtful we'd get everything into a 20ft container! We had an average family size 4 bedroom house with kit for a family of 4 - we sold our house 18 months ago and rented for a while. We are now in a smaller 2 bed furnished flat and everything is packed and in a storage container ready to go - we got it all into a 20ft container and have room to spare - albeit not alot but yes we got it all in.

If you want to try this and get a quote, call Andy Booth at Maritime, his no is 01449 616100, tell him Jan Baker recommended you as I have been very impressed so far! Also, the big names state a 6-8 week wait for your belongings, with Maritime it will be there in approx 20 days - hows that for a difference!

Hope this helps
Jan
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:47 pm
Banned

paul090971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wrong, you can still get insurance but not as good as if its been proffesionally packed. But tell me what they can do that you cannot!!!

Paul

Originally Posted by Sharonanana

RE:

Thanks,
Anna

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.