Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:38 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by alcat2010
So, having one of those moments...

What my wife and I have/could potentially have here in the uk, in the cold light of day is.... pretty ok

We are pursuing a life in Canada. (for all the reasons most people emigrate for....) i.e. "cos its better!"

But will it really be that much better and worth all the years of stress... and money ??

What we want from Canada is to secure good careers, give ourselves and our kids a nice house, in a nice part of town, access to the outdoors and to a city etc...

But we actually have that HERE ! And its just not 'enough'...

So why are we not satisfied? Is it because we have been villifying this place so much over the years we rarely see the good?
Am I the only one in the history of immigration that is chasing something that doesnt exist?

To the people with the experience and hindsight....

HOW do I get these rose tinted glasses off and dampen the adventurous feeling that 'something out there is better' ?!
Wow I just tried to read this whole thread from page 1-19. I can't believe what I have missed.

I definitely think you don't see the good in the UK and the sad thing is that if you move to Canada that'll be all you think about.

People tend to only remember the good stuff.

The reality is that either way you are taking a gamble. My advice is make the decision and stick with it. The Canada thing is definitely the bigger gamble and it will need a lot of work. You will be massively tested by lots of things that you have not considered.

I doubt very much that you'll be happy right of the plane and you will have to work at things.

Anyway just my two pence.

As for Canada being an outdoorsy place I seldom leave my block these days. The outdoors would be nice if it wasn't a good hour, hour and a half away.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:45 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
Exactly. POUTINE !! What is it with putting cheese curd on a perfectly goo chips and gravy !
Although, it is yummy
Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:46 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I have absolutely no problem with anyone criticizing constructively anything in Canada. What I take issue with is the "it's cold in the winter" and "can't find Marmite or decent Fish&Chips" type comments. Of course it's cold in the winter. It has been for zillions of years and Fish&Chips/Marmite are not that important to Canadians. If something is wrong/missing in Canada then don't whine and moan about it. Offer an alternative solution or suck it up and don't comment.
It's not Fish and Chips in Canada it is Fish and Fries. I can accept it is different so why can't the Yocals just name it correctly.

It's important to point out to anyone moving here that with the lack of competition in retail shopping and banking that there will be lots of things missing and lots of things overpriced. You also have to get used to the whole 5 to 10 years behind thing..........

Other than that it is a good life. Low crime, proper summer, proper winter, sweet potato fries and service in bars. No other benefits over the UK than these. Certainly not in Toronto anyway.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:47 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by dollface
Although, it is yummy
And ripped off. I remember plenty of places doing cheese, chips and gravy in the UK. They just gave it a fancy name.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:32 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

It's not Fish and Chips in Canada it is Fish and Fries. I can accept it is different so why can't the Yocals just name it correctly.

What absolute nonsense. I know of many places in the GTA where Fish and Chips is displayed on the store sign. I know of none saying Fish and Fries.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:39 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Auld Yin

What absolute nonsense. I know of many places in the GTA where Fish and Chips is displayed on the store sign. I know of none saying Fish and Fries.
Exactly. If I could sue for misdescription I'd be an exceptionally wealthy man.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 4:35 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Exactly. If I could sue for misdescription I'd be an exceptionally wealthy man.
The Blue Moon in Sidney on Vancouver Island does proper chips and a cracking batter on their huge portions of fish. It's the best of the bunch for me so far, but too far away to make it a regular.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:57 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

This is an innocent query, what is the matter with Canadian fish and chips? What's the difference between a chip and a fry? I have either been remarkably lucky in my, Admitedly rare, sorties into Canada's F&C, but I really am wondering what I'm missing?
Old Jun 20th 2012, 11:35 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MillieF
This is an innocent query, what is the matter with Canadian fish and chips? What's the difference between a chip and a fry? I have either been remarkably lucky in my, Admitedly rare, sorties into Canada's F&C, but I really am wondering what I'm missing?
It's weird, because if you asked for chips with anything else (eg/ steak & chips) you'd get a steak and a bag of crisps.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:44 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

They only tend to cook fries in one style in Toronto. You don't get the nice big thick ones that ooze potato that you get back in the old country. You'll find the chips you get in Jack Astor's are almost the same as the one in the "Fish and Chip" shop.

I don't have a bad word to say about the fish. Infact I probably prefer the fish in Canada.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:48 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
They only tend to cook fries in one style in Toronto. You don't get the nice big thick ones that ooze potato that you get back in the old country. You'll find the chips you get in Jack Astor's are almost the same as the one in the "Fish and Chip" shop.

I don't have a bad word to say about the fish. Infact I probably prefer the fish in Canada.
I find the fried fish all tastes the same in both countries. It's the batter that counts. I've had some good ones here.

The chips are generally shit. Mostly is like what I imagine McDonald's fries to be like. They look similar anyhow.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I find the fried fish all tastes the same in both countries. It's the batter that counts. I've had some good ones here.

The chips are generally shit. Mostly is like what I imagine McDonald's fries to be like. They look similar anyhow.
You need to look for "steak cut" chips. They are comparable in size and shape to English chips. I have to admit that I haven't found anywhere that cooks them to the same result that one can find in most seaside towns in the UK: greasy, soggy, half cooked, expensive, but then I accept that I am not an expert in such things.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:16 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You need to look for "steak cut" chips. They are comparable in size and shape to English chips. I have to admit that I haven't found anywhere that cooks them to the same result that one can find in most seaside towns in the UK: greasy, soggy, half cooked, expensive, but then I accept that I am not an expert in such things.
I buy the steak cut variety, not the same as from a UK chippy, as in not as good. However, they will do for a chip buttie with lashings of brown sauce YUM!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

They don't do proper cod.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:23 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
They don't do proper cod.
Whats not proper about it
Cod, Haddock, Hallibut are all readily available around here.

My local chippy does soggy english style chips, even served in newspaper.

My favourite chips though are the ones at swiss chalet. It seems I've "gone native"...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.