Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jul 13th 2012, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

rdashmore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by dbd33
It may have opportunity, depending on what opportunity you seek, certainly there are more positions in the field of lumberjacking in Canada, but life in Toronto offers less access to the outdoors than life in London. Neither offer wilderness nearby (and neither does London Ont). If you're starting in central London you can enjoy a number of parks or take the tube to one of a couple of forests or take the train to a National Park. If you're starting in Toronto you must first rent a car and then drive to the nearest non-privately owned patch of grass; Algonquin perhaps. Nice enough but it's like going to the Lake District, not something you can do on a Wednesday evening.
Your lumberjacking comment is blatant stereotypical
and rude.

Opportunities are plentiful in all major growth
industries, oil and gas, financials, and technology.
Our resources and banking system are the envy of the
world. We can compare statistical data and happiness
indexes to the Nth degree, and the end result
favours Canada now and forever.

Like London UK, there is 'city parks' in all major
Canadian cities, both being full of lakes, rocks,
and trees, and both have people walking with their
dogs.

To visit the 'wilderness' from London UK, it also
takes at least an hour or two of travel. It is all
relative, thats part of living in a vast country, if
someone doesn't like to purchase a car and drive
long distances that's their choice. There are more
areas to choose from in Canada with much greater
quality and that is why British folks and other
immigrants have chosen to move here in the 1st
place; choice, space, and opportunity.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:12 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rdashmore
and rude.

dogs.

quality
and that is why British folks and other
So please tell me what opportunities the average person in Toronto has in oil & gas; or what opportunities the average person in Retard, MB has in finance?

Or are you suggesting that, because Canada is so vast, and that there are pockets of opportunity dotted here and there, that ALL of Canada must be credited as a Land Of Opportunity? That's nonsense, and exactly the same argument could be applied to the UK, or Europe, or Africa.

I've highlighted a piece of gibberish in your post, completely unsupportable. Incidentally, did you know, for example that 30% of Canadians use the Food Bank? One in three Canadian families can't afford to enrol their children in organised sport?

I still maintain my position that, for many British families, emigrating to Canada allows (allowed?) a one-time standard of living upgrade financed by relative differences in property prices & exchange rates. For all the arguments about "quality of life", that's entirely subjective and frankly, if you need to move continents to improve your quality of life, then something is wrong in your life anyway.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:14 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

and rude.

dogs.

quality and that is why British folks and other
How do you explain my work opportunities being better in the UK? And my new car being cheaper to buy and run in the UK? Or that i was happier with my banking in the UK?

Or why are the immigration figures similar for both countries (not including those moving from within the EU)?

Finally, my wifes uncle is a Lumberjack. Why is it rude to suggest he would have more work opportunities in Canada than in the UK?

Finally finally, do you think a person working in Insurance would have better opportunities in Kimberley BC, or Leeds? Or a person living Missisauga would have better access to the countryside than if they lived in Harpenden?

Last edited by el_richo; Jul 13th 2012 at 5:19 am.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Out of pure curiousity, other than a larger living space, what is the difference in actual fundamental lifestyle?

In your daily work life, on an evening, or at the weekend. What's so different?
Work hours are easier, everyone is much more relaxed here, you can take a sick day, with no Drs Note, they are very easy going, at least where I work, over working overtime, or taking personal time. On the weekends, I also find there is many more affordable things to do, I often go browse the mall, which is nicely no filled with Chavs / Neds, or I go a bike ride or picnic in the park which is not filled with dog crap or litter, or junkies needles. I can go to the cinema here. I go out to the bars for a casual drink, and lunch as i find going out for food much more affordable here compared to the UK, and the bars are not filled with creepy old men.

I find the people are much more friendly, and relaxed which makes life here (except when driving for some reason) much more pleasant. Everyone says, Have a Nice day. How are you? and things like this. I find this very different from being in the UK.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

rdashmore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Of course I've been here. I suspect you haven't been here for very long if you disagree with what I said.

Please tell exactly how/what you mean by "Canada has much greater opportunity"??

As far as wilderness goes, naturally Canada has more of it, but it's not exactly accessible for the vast majority of the Canadian population. As dbd33 correctly says, it mainly requires access to, and considerable time spent in, a vehicle. Conversely, in the UK I can walk out of my front door with my dog and walk for miles and miles in open countryside without needing a car.

But please, do explain in what way Canada has "much greater opportunity" than the UK.

world.

One simple statistic that would confirm if their is more opportunity, by comparison is; how many Brits moved to Canada versus the opposite direction?

2010 UK to Canada, 9499 permanent residents admitted.
2010 Canada to UK, can't seem to find this number online, if you find it let me know.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:52 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

world.

One simple statistic that would confirm if their is more opportunity, by comparison is; how many Brits moved to Canada versus the opposite direction?

2010 Canada to UK, can't seem to find this number online, if you find it let me know.
So Australia and Spain have better opportunities than Canada
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:57 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

so if you cant find the figures how do you know?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by scottyxx
Out of pure curiousity, other than a larger living space, what is the difference in actual fundamental lifestyle?

Work hours are easier, everyone is much more relaxed here, you can take a sick day, with no Drs Note, they are very easy going, at least where I work, over working overtime, or taking personal time. On the weekends, I also find there is many more affordable things to do, I often go browse the mall, which is nicely no filled with Chavs / Neds, or I go a bike ride or picnic in the park which is not filled with dog crap or litter, or junkies needles. I can go to the cinema here. I go out to the bars for a casual drink, and lunch as i find going out for food much more affordable here compared to the UK, and the bars are not filled with creepy old men.

I find the people are much more friendly, and relaxed which makes life here (except when driving for some reason) much more pleasant. Everyone says, Have a Nice day. How are you? and things like this. I find this very different from being in the UK.
I also wanted to add that I find the rent far cheaper here, I am renting an entire house, the same size as my parents house for $1100 here in the uk in an equivalent sized town, it would be at least double that cost.

I have also found that water, heat, electricity, etc are all much cheaper here. Back home we have to pay the old people extra money to put on their heating because its too expensive. My mum was paying at least 100 pounds per month to heat my house at home, and I am paying less than 10 pounds a month here.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:01 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of s***!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that Lorry. Im sorry my experience is so shit for you.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:04 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I have also found that water, heat, electricity, etc are all much cheaper here. Back home we have to pay the old people extra money to put on their heating because its too expensive. My mum was paying at least 100 pounds per month to heat my house at home, and I am paying less than 10 pounds a month here.
You are paying less than $16.50 a month to heat your house? Is that during the current heatwave or averaged throughout the year? My modest, by North American standards, 3 bedroom house in a place without extremes of temperatures, costs around $250 a month in oil to heat averaged throughout the year. If you have a way to heat a house for <25% of that then do share will you?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:08 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I like living in Canada, or at least my end of it. But then I liked living in UK. So bear that in mind when I say.....

Canada is going through a one time, inevitably limited resource boom. When the resource is gone, as it will be, then this place is in trouble. Area's will, IMHO become unsustainable as communities. In a microcosm this is already happening in Newfoundland where outport communities that rely on a fishery resource that is gone, struggle to survive.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:12 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
What a load of s***!

Work hours are easier, everyone is much more relaxed here, you can take a sick day, with no Drs Note, they are very easy going, at least where I work, over working overtime, or taking personal time. On the weekends, I also find there is many more affordable things to do, I often go browse the mall, which is nicely no filled with Chavs / Neds, or I go a bike ride or picnic in the park which is not filled with dog crap or litter, or junkies needles. I can go to the cinema here. I go out to the bars for a casual drink, and lunch as i find going out for food much more affordable here compared to the UK, and the bars are not filled with creepy old men.I find the people are much more friendly, and relaxed which makes life here (except when driving for some reason) much more pleasant. Everyone says, Have a Nice day. How are you? and things like this. I find this very different from being in the UK.
Thanks for that Lorry. Im sorry my experience is so shit for you.
I wasn't commenting on YOUR experience as yes I agree you possibly do have all this in Canada. But you can also have all this in England too.
All the things I have highlighted I do not agree that you can't have in England and the creepy old man in the bar thing is just rude. You don't have to speak to him

There are needles in plenty of parks here and certainly not in every park in England.
There are plenty of free and cheap things to do on a weekend in England too. My family and I use to bike ride a lot along cycle paths in the country stopping at a country pub for a nice lunch and then continuing. Or take a picnic and find a nice country park to sit in, for example.

Last edited by Lorry1; Jul 13th 2012 at 6:14 am.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:12 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Soooo, you want to use a statistic as proof of your claim, and then can't provide the statistic?

You're happy in Canada, we get that, I'm glad for you. But don't just invent facts.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:13 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You are paying less than $16.50 a month to heat your house? Is that during the current heatwave or averaged throughout the year? My modest, by North American standards, 3 bedroom house in a place without extremes of temperatures, costs around $250 a month in oil to heat averaged throughout the year. If you have a way to heat a house for <25% of that then do share will you?
Exactly my electricity bill for June was $117 for my 3 bed house bear in mind im only there for 3 hours in the evening and weekends using measurable supply as the rest of the time im at work or asleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.