Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jun 19th 2012, 4:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by Steve_
most of those reasons are underpinned by the fact the country is just too crowded.
population density map...

Old Jun 19th 2012, 4:57 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
North West of Scotland is fantastic, Isle of Skye in particular.
+1. Too hard for me to find a job there though but if you had a job and a choice what would you think of living on the east coast (Aberdeen)? I may also have an opportunity in Inverness.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:30 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Agreed. It was more pointing to your, perhaps not yours in particular in this case but, viewpoint that anyone criticising Canada should not let the door hit their arse on the way out.
I have absolutely no problem with anyone criticizing constructively anything in Canada. What I take issue with is the "it's cold in the winter" and "can't find Marmite or decent Fish&Chips" type comments. Of course it's cold in the winter. It has been for zillions of years and Fish&Chips/Marmite are not that important to Canadians. If something is wrong/missing in Canada then don't whine and moan about it. Offer an alternative solution or suck it up and don't comment.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I have absolutely no problem with anyone criticizing constructively anything in Canada. What I take issue with is the "it's cold in the winter" and "can't find Marmite or decent Fish&Chips" type comments. Of course it's cold in the winter. It has been for zillions of years and Fish&Chips/Marmite are not that important to Canadians. If something is wrong/missing in Canada then don't whine and moan about it. Offer an alternative solution or suck it up and don't comment.
Wheres the harm in venting? This is supposed to be a supportive community of people in broadly the same boat.

And if people dont express their frustration, how is someone else here going to potentially offer a solution???

Last edited by iaink; Jun 19th 2012 at 5:40 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

and Fish&Chips/Marmite are not that important to Canadians.
It's available in abundance here- you can get fish n chips pretty much anywhere. Decent quality too!

Too bad no one does mushy peas though...
Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:39 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Canadas population density is quite high in the liveable areas, obviously.

Personally, the areas where i'd happily live, can actually make a decent living, where my children can flourish, and where we're not debilitated through parts of the year due to weather, the population density is much less in those areas of the UK than they are in Canada.

If i wanted to find sparse population, i can easily find it in both countries. Using it as a reason to move countries is bullshit in the same vain as opportunities for the kids, to escape crime, for the outdoors, etc etc.

I believe there's always an underlying, emotional, and/or personal reason that is probably hidden within most people. Whether it's an uncontrollable urge to follow through with an idea (OCD-like scratching the itch), inability to see actual reality (generalised perception), the short sighted belief that our experience is replicated throughout the country for everybody (emotional roadblock), or just the inability to see the wood for the trees (seeing what you want to see).

I'm having leftover Thai food for lunch. I'm very excited
Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:40 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Wheres the harm in venting? This is supposed to be a supportive community of people in broadly the same boat.
Exactly. POUTINE !! What is it with putting cheese curd on a perfectly goo chips and gravy !
Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:40 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
It's available in abundance here- you can get fish n chips pretty much anywhere. Decent quality too!

I wholeheartedly agree.

We really are two peas in a pod you and I Jericho
Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:42 pm
Beep

I have absolutely no problem with anyone criticizing constructively...
Oooh, if i go through your posting history, will i find anything in there showing critisism without construct?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by el_richo
(OCD-like scratching the itch)
You mean "CDO" right? With the letters in alphabetical order, like they should be.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Animal
Exactly. POUTINE !! What is it with putting cheese curd on a perfectly goo chips and gravy !
goo. if thats not a freudian slip I dont know what is!

Originally Posted by jericho

Originally Posted by el_richo
I wholeheartedly agree.

We really are two peas in a pod you and I Jericho
Enough with the mushy peas, if you really want them "No Frills" has cans and dried batchelors ones. Cant stand them myself.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:48 pm
Beep

You mean "CDO" right? With the letters in alphabetical order, like they should be.
I karma'd that one
Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:49 pm
Beep

goo. if thats not a freudian slip I dont know what is!

Enough with the mushy peas, if you really want them "No Frills" has cans and dried batchelors ones. Cant stand them myself.
Like hairdressers, humour, and drivers, they're much better in the UK
Old Jun 19th 2012, 6:21 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
+1. Too hard for me to find a job there though but if you had a job and a choice what would you think of living on the east coast (Aberdeen)? I may also have an opportunity in Inverness.
I'd rather live in Inverness than Aberdeen.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 6:34 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I'd rather live in Inverness than Aberdeen.
Cheers - mind if I ask main reasons?

May have to start a separate thread if the phone interview goes well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.