Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:57 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I disagree. People in the UK don't seem to define their lifestyles by a couple of stores as much as Canadians seem to do.
sure they don't....
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:11 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I was remarkably lucky on my recce trip to NB, I enjoyed a couple of days a magical autumn colours and then what the weather man enthusiastically called a 'good nor'easter' - the rose tints froze and dropped off....I have been profoundly rural for the last ten years and I don't want rural anymore, but I don't want vast metrololis (which can be fun) either. It's finding what's right for you that's important.

So many people want change, but they don't need another country to get it, half of them would probably be just as happy with a change of job or a loft conversion.
I doubt most people move for a 'change' ...most likely for a better life (rightly or wrongly), career opportunties, or to be with a loved one (as was the case with me).

Life is a crap shoot....sometimes it works out, sometimes it don't....my life in the UK was terrible and i spent most of my adult working life there during the 80's recession, struggling to find work, let alone decent paying work....it was grim and has left me with a bad taste in my mouth...i see my family there still struggling.

Canada on the other hand has been great to me. Was always able to find decent paying work and career advancement in a job that pays a lot more than the same position in the UK, in a city that has given me a much better way of life than anywhere in the UK ever did....but life turns on a dime. Had the UK been more kind, i likely would not have felt the need to flee.

I guess it's down to luck.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:24 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
I doubt most people move for a 'change' ...most likely for a better life (rightly or wrongly), career opportunties, or to be with a loved one (as was the case with me).

Life is a crap shoot....sometimes it works out, sometimes it don't....my life in the UK was terrible and i spent most of my adult working life there during the 80's recession, struggling to find work, let alone decent paying work....it was grim and has left me with a bad taste in my mouth...i see my family there still struggling.

Canada on the other hand has been great to me. Was always able to find decent paying work and career advancement in a job that pays a lot more than the same position in the UK, in a city that has given me a much better way of life than anywhere in the UK ever did....but life turns on a dime. Had the UK been more kind, i likely would not have felt the need to flee.

I guess it's down to luck.
So, FOR YOU, life was shit in the UK and it's better in Canada.

That does not mean that Canada is better than the UK.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Adverts: english country side, thatched cottages, castles, the royal family, the pub...., fine cusine, Chaucer and Emily Bronte.

Reality: Run down industrial cities, council estates and small crappy houses, pubs closing left and right, hanging out whetherspoons, crap service, fish and chips and kebabs, violence, congestion, and driving to a massive asda with a 30 acre parking lot that fulfills all of one's consumer desires....
Your reality maybe. But for some of us, the first bit is a more apt description. And yes, I know I'm lucky, but don't generalise and tar all of the UK with the same brush - none of what you've described in the 'reality' bit here, apart from an Asda 15 mins away!

Old Jun 16th 2012, 4:10 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Reality: Run down industrial cities, council estates and small crappy houses, pubs closing left and right, hanging out whetherspoons, crap service, fish and chips and kebabs, violence, congestion, and driving to a massive asda with a 30 acre parking lot that fulfills all of one's consumer desires....
Quite a big generalisation really

I moved from a village quite a distance north of the watford gap (Shropshire) you mention that has a small cricket club, primary school and a church. There is no pub (never has been) & no take away. There is an Asda 15 drive away and other restaurants that have fantastic service and are very welcoming. The closest big town has a Wetherspoons that I have been in and enjoyed and again had great service and the staff have always been friendly.

Birmningham is 30 minutes drive away and I can get there if required with no congestion.

The street I lived in (my wife is still currently there) had a street party for the Jubilee and everyone had a great time. We quite often leave our back door unlocked when we go out and have never known any trouble in any form on that side.

Does that fit in with your thoughts and beliefs ?

Granted - it may not be like that everywhere in the UK - as it isn't in Canada.

Last edited by Animal; Jun 16th 2012 at 4:43 am.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 4:41 am
Banned

So, FOR YOU, life was shit in the UK and it's better in Canada.

That does not mean that Canada is better than the UK.
No you are of course right. That was my point. Similarly your experience of teh UK vs Canada does not mean that the UK is better than Canada.

You are falling on generalizations based on your limited experiences of either place. We judge what is around us based on our experiences.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 4:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Your reality maybe. But for some of us, the first bit is a more apt description. And yes, I know I'm lucky, but don't generalise and tar all of the UK with the same brush - none of what you've described in the 'reality' bit here, apart from an Asda 15 mins away!

Less than 20 percent apparently...
Old Jun 16th 2012, 4:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Animal
Quite a big generalisation really

I moved from a village quite a distance north of the watford gap (Shropshire) you mention that has a small cricket club, primary school and a church. There is no pub (never has been) & no take away. There is an Asda 15 drive away and other restaurants that have fantastic service and are very welcoming. The closest big town has a Wetherspoons that I have been in and enjoyed and again had great service and the staff have always been friendly.

Birmningham is 30 minutes drive away and I can get there if required in 30-40 minutes with no congestion.

The street I lived in (my wife is still currently there) had a street party for the Jubilee and everyone had a great time. We quite often leave our back door unlocked when we go out and have never known any trouble in any form on that side.

Does that fit in with your thoughts and beliefs ?

Granted - it may not be like that everywhere in the UK - as it isn't in Canada.
my post was of course meant to be tongue in cheek to hightlight how silly that jinngy fella's post was.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 5:20 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

No you are of course right. That was my point. Similarly your experience of teh UK vs Canada does not mean that the UK is better than Canada.

You are falling on generalizations based on your limited experiences of either place. We judge what is around us based on our experiences.
I don't think I have ever said that "the UK is better than Canada."

That's why this is a stupid post. Canada is not "better than the UK", despite what many people - yourself included - tend to suggest in your knee-jerk reactions to any post criticising Canada. Conversely, the UK is not "better than Canada".

It depends what you want. In my opinion, if you want a rather sterile life where not much ever happens, then Canada is probably better. If you want a life with great opportunities for the kids, an outdoor lifestyle, and access to mountains and wilderness, then the UK is probably better.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I love threads like these Slag off Canada, slag off the UK etc etc.
Oh look this site promotes a forum for ex pats who basically no longer live in the UK or are thinking of moving here and a few having lived all over the world moving back to the UK or even other countries.
If there was a gold medal for moaning at the Olympics then the Brits would win hands down.
Only you can decide which is better regardless of what others say and sometimes shit happens which can leave you with negatives of any country.
Good post. This should not be turned into a "slagging" match of which country is the worse! Only OP can make up their minds. They say they are happy, but that is a relative term.

By coming on here, they are asking advice and it seems the majority of people here are telling you to stay put! Enjoy holidays in Canada! If it is not something you want to hear, then sorry but reality can be hard!

Something not mentioned is the obvious "exchange rates" You have to be very unhappy to exchange pounds for dollars now! A pound still buys you quite a lot even if it is Tesco brand bread or baked beans! A dollar and half buys you nothing here! (nice to take your dollars back now with the profit of your house that has increased three fold

Forget about Canadian government telling you they need you! they just want a bigger tax base, when you eventually find that job or start a business but that is only after Canadians born here are employed first, and you can't say you blame them! UK don't like immigrants taking their jobs either!
Old Jun 16th 2012, 6:14 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If you like (ice) hockey then Canada REALLY is much better. If you like warm beer with twigs in then it is less so. You just have to decide whether hockey or warm twiggy beer contributes most to your quality of life.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

ADVERTS - pristine lakes, snow-capped mountains, log cabins, handsome rosy-cheeked families, laughter, Tim Hortons, Canadian Tire barbecues etc. etc. etc.

REALITY - living in a dull North America city, driving in an oversized vehicle from the Tim Horton's drive-thru to the Canadian Tire 30-acre parking lot.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Nor where I lived in the UK either so I guess it depends with what hand you have been dealt!
Old Jun 16th 2012, 7:47 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
That's certainly an interesting perspective....

Although I never really understood this view that the press are responsible for the whole "England has gone to the dogs" mentality. You do realise they dont simply make those stories up, dont you?

Here's a story, dated today, taken from the BBC website:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-18446611

By not reporting it, what would the advantage be?
Is it not newsworthy that a 14yr old is up for murder?? Or are you just of the opinion that ignorance is bliss?

Here's another one, also from today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-18443690

I'm not quite what you feel it would achieve by the press ignoring incidents like these....
http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/home/th..._case/862168aa

The kids are so great here.

As others have said, not necessarily better, just different.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 7:50 am
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think I have ever said that "the UK is better than Canada."

That's why this is a stupid post. Canada is not "better than the UK", despite what many people - yourself included - tend to suggest in your knee-jerk reactions to any post criticising Canada. Conversely, the UK is not "better than Canada".

It depends what you want. In my opinion, if you want a rather sterile life where not much ever happens, then Canada is probably better. If you want a life with great opportunities for the kids, an outdoor lifestyle, and access to mountains and wilderness, then the UK is probably better.
+1
Think the UK could do with the same PR spin that Canada has. Although it really doesn't need any more people whereas Canada is desperate for people to join its happy throng.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.