Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jun 16th 2012, 12:21 pm
  #166  
BE Enthusiast
 
NessieOggy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 903
NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I still find it interesting, just in a different more colonial way. Victoria and Seattle have some really lovely old buildings. There's a bit in Vancouver in Gastown and New Westminster's Columbia St but most of the old buildings have been knocked down in the rest of the city.
Good point. Unfortunately many of the interesting old buildings in the Lower Mainland were lost to make way for new nondescript high rises.
NessieOggy is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2012, 6:31 pm
  #167  
Beep
 
el_richo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 8,311
el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by Boy d
Canada has provided me with the financial security to retire in my early 50's which is not too far around the corner. Sadly, the UK would not have provided me with this security.
You don't know that. Had you stayed in the UK you may have taken a different, extremely financial rewarding, path. I've said before, we can't map out our future based on the past, whether for ourselves or children.

Since the main question of this thread is pointless, maybe we need to ask ourselves, which country will make me a better person?

I still maintain both countries can make or break families and their dreams. Both countries have excellent opportunities although some are different. Both countries have lovely affordable areas, both have shit holes, nice people, arseholes, good weather, and bad weather.

All in all it's just the same with a different background. Yes lifestyles can be slightly different but most of the daily life such as sleeping, working, paying bills, shopping, commuting, and watching Telly isn't.

As for wildlife: wildlife doesn't have to be bears or eagles or cougars. It can be hedgehogs, deer, certain birds like those ****ing parrots that wake you up at 5am in SW London, etc. To many, the latter are just as exciting.

Both countries have been equally as good to me and I'm very happy I've experienced both. The main difference I thnk I have against the OP is the move to Canada felt like the perfect timing. It felt like the right thing to do, with no hesitation. Had there been any concerns or the old analysis paralysis, I'd have continued enjoying life, with certainty, in the UK with family and friends.

There would have been no regret and certainly no "what ifs" because, especially the latter, they're stupid and anybody who uses those terms outside of this post are ****ing idiots.

Final answer; it might be better, it might not. Come live in Canada and see for yourself or wipe it from your mind and make the most of what you have now.

Take a roll of the dice of life. Shit or get off the pot.
el_richo is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2012, 6:36 pm
  #168  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,088
Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
Good point. Unfortunately many of the interesting old buildings in the Lower Mainland were lost to make way for new nondescript high rises.
I doubt that's really true. I dont think they ever really existed in the first place. Outside of some areas (as already noted), most buildings were temp frame buildings in areas that had very low density, and were largely farming communities .take Fort Langley for instance or areas of white rock and south surrey.

Some gems were lost in Vancouver though, such as the second Hotel Vancouver and the Birks building and a number of buildings along Granville such as the Lyric Theatre etc.

Many great forms can still be found on the east side of the city though, lots of Edwardian and some Victorian (many are finally gettting the love they deserve) and a decent number of art deco buildings too. I love art deco and collect art deco antiques. I have an impressive collection of clocks, lamps, bookends, statues, art work and some furniture. Certainly nothing to rival Europe, but interesting none the less.

The marine building is considered one of the best examples of the art deco period on the west coast....lovely building.

Last edited by Boy d; Jun 16th 2012 at 6:48 pm.
Boy d is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2012, 6:46 pm
  #169  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,088
Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by el_richo
You don't know that. Had you stayed in the UK you may have taken a different, extremely financial rewarding, path. I've said before, we can't map out our future based on the past, whether for ourselves or children.

Since the main question of this thread is pointless, maybe we need to ask ourselves, which country will make me a better person?

I still maintain both countries can make or break families and their dreams. Both countries have excellent opportunities although some are different. Both countries have lovely affordable areas, both have shit holes, nice people, arseholes, good weather, and bad weather.

All in all it's just the same with a different background. Yes lifestyles can be slightly different but most of the daily life such as sleeping, working, paying bills, shopping, commuting, and watching Telly isn't.

As for wildlife: wildlife doesn't have to be bears or eagles or cougars. It can be hedgehogs, deer, certain birds like those ****ing parrots that wake you up at 5am in SW London, etc. To many, the latter are just as exciting.

Both countries have been equally as good to me and I'm very happy I've experienced both. The main difference I thnk I have against the OP is the move to Canada felt like the perfect timing. It felt like the right thing to do, with no hesitation. Had there been any concerns or the old analysis paralysis, I'd have continued enjoying life, with certainty, in the UK with family and friends.

There would have been no regret and certainly no "what ifs" because, especially the latter, they're stupid and anybody who uses those terms outside of this post are ****ing idiots.

Final answer; it might be better, it might not. Come live in Canada and see for yourself or wipe it from your mind and make the most of what you have now.

Take a roll of the dice of life. Shit or get off the pot.
Great post...agree 100 percent. Life is a crap shoot....who knows where it will come together...Teddington on Thames, Vancouver or God knows where.

Yes you are right, maybe i'd have made a decent wedge, who knows. But had i gone into policing in the UK, which i was pursuing at one time, i most certainly would have been broke. The UK just had nothing to offer when I came out of the Navy. Had it been a different time, i'd have likely not left. I really felt i had no choice...i'm a bit bitter about that.

I'm astonished what they pay me here to do what i do....which certainly puts a positive spin on my experiences of the place. Had i been flipping burgers or digging ditches.......

As noted, if one is relatively happy with their lot in life, kids are doing fine, and cheese is plentiful....stay put. Theirs too much uncertainty in the world right now...
Boy d is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2012, 7:19 pm
  #170  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: glasgow
Posts: 326
alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

The thread has kinda turned into a "uk v canada" debate..
It wasnt my intention to do this. I suppose I chose the wrong wording by asking "is it better"..

I wasnt looking for an answer on what to decide.. I know that no-one can make that decision for anyone..

When I wrote the post, I was and suppose still am having a rare moment of what some might say clarity.

I have realised that ever since my wife and I first thought of emigrating, back in 2007/8 I was keen for the adventure, the "change", the chance to experience new opportunities in a big ass country compared to Scotland.
Ive always felt there is better out there to what can be offered in terms of overall lifetyle and opportunties.. (Im pretty certain most people from every walk of life wants to travel, fly the nest so to speak and experience new surroundings)
If im honest it is still a bit of a battle to stop thinking "anything else is better"...
So all me me me.

When the kids came along, my thought process wasnt / isnt as gung-ho but still wanted "to go", and threw in the reason "better for kids".. whatever the fek that REALLY means...

I DO realise both countries have good and bad points, always known this but maybe now more than ever..
I could give a quick example of when my wife and I were in a small town called Leduc/Alberta as part of our recce trip. Popped into a bar during the day for some lunch.. was some old tadger sitting at the bar.. after hearing me order my drinks he decided to play the drunken, mumbling local role.. didnt actually catch what he said but iv had my fare share of experiences with knobs in pubs so knew he was itching for confrontation through the body language and looks given... anyway, being there with my wife I wasnt going to start trading punches on my holiday!

Point of the story, is we or anyone can emigrate thousand of miles, possibly to "get away from certain things" naively forgetting life is life. And people are people. Good and bad experiences will dictate what you think of a place..

Maybe because weve been messed around / knocked back for so long and im fed up puting things off / not able to plan things because of the distant and uncertain immigration idea, my desire and determination has wained a little...

Maybe its a realisation (original reason for the post) that everything I want for my kids and myself I suppose IS and CAN BE right here in drizzly / damp old west of Scotland. (apart from decent friggin summers!)

But even after all this deep thinking bull ... we are still going to send in our FSW application in July. My wifes IELTS runs out this year so we figured "one last try"... "leave it up to fate"...

And IF we eventually get PR then we will see what happens, but we still won't be going anywhere unless we secure jobs that provides us with the lifestyle that would be at least on a par or better than what we could have..
So... to be continued....

Last edited by alcat2010; Jun 16th 2012 at 9:18 pm.
alcat2010 is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2012, 12:33 am
  #171  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Impala is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

No, it is not that much better here! Canada is a nice country, but one cannot save any money unless they are earning $100,000 per year. Taxes are high as well. The cost of gas is high. Their are few available jobs unless you are in health care or specialize in technological fields.
Impala is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2012, 12:42 am
  #172  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 256
Lvh76 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by el_richo
You don't know that. Had you stayed in the UK you may have taken a different, extremely financial rewarding, path. I've said before, we can't map out our future based on the past, whether for ourselves or children.

Since the main question of this thread is pointless, maybe we need to ask ourselves, which country will make me a better person?

I still maintain both countries can make or break families and their dreams. Both countries have excellent opportunities although some are different. Both countries have lovely affordable areas, both have shit holes, nice people, arseholes, good weather, and bad weather.

All in all it's just the same with a different background. Yes lifestyles can be slightly different but most of the daily life such as sleeping, working, paying bills, shopping, commuting, and watching Telly isn't.

As for wildlife: wildlife doesn't have to be bears or eagles or cougars. It can be hedgehogs, deer, certain birds like those ****ing parrots that wake you up at 5am in SW London, etc. To many, the latter are just as exciting.

Both countries have been equally as good to me and I'm very happy I've experienced both. The main difference I thnk I have against the OP is the move to Canada felt like the perfect timing. It felt like the right thing to do, with no hesitation. Had there been any concerns or the old analysis paralysis, I'd have continued enjoying life, with certainty, in the UK with family and friends.

There would have been no regret and certainly no "what ifs" because, especially the latter, they're stupid and anybody who uses those terms outside of this post are ****ing idiots.

Final answer; it might be better, it might not. Come live in Canada and see for yourself or wipe it from your mind and make the most of what you have now.

Take a roll of the dice of life. Shit or get off the pot.
Very wise words. Totally agree with pretty much everything you've said. You're like the Yoda of BE
Lvh76 is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2012, 12:49 am
  #173  
I said what ?!
 
Animal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Peterborough, Ontario.
Posts: 1,079
Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by Impala
The cost of gas is high.
Have you seen the cost of gas (petrol) in the UK ?
Animal is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2012, 1:25 am
  #174  
Up Your Kilt
 
Hawk13's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Mockingbird Heights
Posts: 1,621
Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by Impala
Canada is a nice country, but one cannot save any money unless they are earning $100,000 per year.
You must have a very expensive drug habit.

Originally Posted by Impala
Taxes are high as well. Their are few available jobs unless you are in health care or specialize in technological fields.
With your drug habit I suggest you get into the "underground" economy of the Kootenays - that will help you out with taxes and the need to specialize in technological fields - hydroponics.
Hawk13 is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2012, 1:28 am
  #175  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Impala is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or silly.
Impala is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2012, 1:30 am
  #176  
Up Your Kilt
 
Hawk13's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Mockingbird Heights
Posts: 1,621
Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by Impala
I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or silly.
I was wondering the same thing if you can't make a go of it on a $100k a year

Last edited by Hawk13; Jun 17th 2012 at 1:36 am.
Hawk13 is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2012, 1:55 am
  #177  
I said what ?!
 
Animal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Peterborough, Ontario.
Posts: 1,079
Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by Impala
...one cannot save any money unless they are earning $100,000 per year.
I'd have thought $100k was a fairly good wedge for a salary. I suppose if your living in the centre of Vancouver or similar with an expensive lifestyle it may not be but don't you think $100k is acceptable for a 'normal' family?

I really am intrigued
Animal is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2012, 3:13 am
  #178  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,088
Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by alcat2010
The thread has kinda turned into a "uk v canada" debate..
It wasnt my intention to do this. I suppose I chose the wrong wording by asking "is it better"..

I wasnt looking for an answer on what to decide.. I know that no-one can make that decision for anyone..

When I wrote the post, I was and suppose still am having a rare moment of what some might say clarity.

I have realised that ever since my wife and I first thought of emigrating, back in 2007/8 I was keen for the adventure, the "change", the chance to experience new opportunities in a big ass country compared to Scotland.
Ive always felt there is better out there to what can be offered in terms of overall lifetyle and opportunties.. (Im pretty certain most people from every walk of life wants to travel, fly the nest so to speak and experience new surroundings)
If im honest it is still a bit of a battle to stop thinking "anything else is better"...
So all me me me.

When the kids came along, my thought process wasnt / isnt as gung-ho but still wanted "to go", and threw in the reason "better for kids".. whatever the fek that REALLY means...

I DO realise both countries have good and bad points, always known this but maybe now more than ever..
I could give a quick example of when my wife and I were in a small town called Leduc/Alberta as part of our recce trip. Popped into a bar during the day for some lunch.. was some old tadger sitting at the bar.. after hearing me order my drinks he decided to play the drunken, mumbling local role.. didnt actually catch what he said but iv had my fare share of experiences with knobs in pubs so knew he was itching for confrontation through the body language and looks given... anyway, being there with my wife I wasnt going to start trading punches on my holiday!

Point of the story, is we or anyone can emigrate thousand of miles, possibly to "get away from certain things" naively forgetting life is life. And people are people. Good and bad experiences will dictate what you think of a place..

Maybe because weve been messed around / knocked back for so long and im fed up puting things off / not able to plan things because of the distant and uncertain immigration idea, my desire and determination has wained a little...

Maybe its a realisation (original reason for the post) that everything I want for my kids and myself I suppose IS and CAN BE right here in drizzly / damp old west of Scotland. (apart from decent friggin summers!)

But even after all this deep thinking bull ... we are still going to send in our FSW application in July. My wifes IELTS runs out this year so we figured "one last try"... "leave it up to fate"...

And IF we eventually get PR then we will see what happens, but we still won't be going anywhere unless we secure jobs that provides us with the lifestyle that would be at least on a par or better than what we could have..
So... to be continued....
Moving overseas is not for the faint of heart and the exchange rate is not favourable these days, which just adds to the stress.

If you have the ability to move elsewhere in the UK, it might provide the 'there's something better out there" fix you are looking for. I think we all wonder the same sometimes, me incuded. I've moved 3 times (locally) in the last 5 years.

The Euro crisis as not played out yet, and canada has been largely immune. But i think there may be some tough times ahead.
Boy d is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2012, 3:48 am
  #179  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Impala is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by Animal
I'd have thought $100k was a fairly good wedge for a salary. I suppose if your living in the centre of Vancouver or similar with an expensive lifestyle it may not be but don't you think $100k is acceptable for a 'normal' family?

I really am intrigued
Hi.

Look at it this way. Out of the $100,000 you are in a fairly high income tax bracket. Depending on which of the 13 provinces/territories you decide to live in, the average income tax rate is about 24%. The higher income you make per year, the more tax you pay. Also, their is up to 15% service/sales taxes in some of the Canadian provinces like Nova Scotia. In western Canada, the price of housing in Vancouver and Calgary is very high. Some average homes in these cities cost over $350,000. The price of gas in some provinces runs up to $1.30 per litre. Electricity rates are constantly increasing. There is little room for savings for a family earning $100,000. People rely on their work place pensions and RRSPs. But, in terms of putting money in a savings account, I am doubtful if many people can do this.
Impala is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2012, 4:05 am
  #180  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,088
Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by Impala
Hi.

Look at it this way. Out of the $100,000 you are in a fairly high income tax bracket. Depending on which of the 13 provinces/territories you decide to live in, the average income tax rate is about 24%. The higher income you make per year, the more tax you pay. Also, their is up to 15% service/sales taxes in some of the Canadian provinces like Nova Scotia. In western Canada, the price of housing in Vancouver and Calgary is very high. Some average homes in these cities cost over $350,000. The price of gas in some provinces runs up to $1.30 per litre. Electricity rates are constantly increasing. There is little room for savings for a family earning $100,000. People rely on their work place pensions and RRSPs. But, in terms of putting money in a savings account, I am doubtful if many people can do this.
Where is this 350 k home in Vancouver? I'd double that and add 10 percent...yes you are right, if one is servicing a high mortgage, things could be tight. Certainly an average wage won't cut it here, and I suspect an average household income is likely less than 100 k.

Outside of that though, I don't think taxes etc are any worse than the uk and general cost of living is similar.
Boy d is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.