Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:00 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by iaink
But is it really necessary to move as far as Canada to escape the UK ratrace? Surely there are closer places? Its mostly a state of mind anyway I suspect.
People put up with the cold and the boredom because they speak English in Canada, it is nearer than Australia and easier to get into than the US. Plus, France, Italy, Asia or Africa might take some effort.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Impala
No, it is not that much better here! Canada is a nice country, but one cannot save any money unless they are earning $100,000 per year. Taxes are high as well. The cost of gas is high. Their are few available jobs unless you are in health care or specialize in technological fields.
Taxes aren't high here, they're generally lower if not much lower than in the UK although you are right that the saving is more likely to happen at higher income levels. In Alberta if you earn more than $75,000 you are pretty much certainly going to be better off than if you were in the UK. The reason being we have a flat tax of 10% at the provincial level, so you would be paying 25% income tax as opposed to being in the 20% bracket in the UK. However we also only have GST at 5%.

Remember taxes in the UK have gone up significantly lately, as there is now banding for capital gains tax, and in Canada once again the capital gains taxes are much lower at the higher levels.

Alberta is the only one with this real problem for people on lower income levels because of our stupid flat tax. In BC for example the lower rate is 20.06% and in Ontario 20.05% up to the high 30,000s so you're no worse off really than in the UK. Also bear in mind that payroll taxes are MUCH lower than in the UK, you'll be paying somewhere around £5,500 at least for NI which is far higher than the maximum CPP/EI rate is around $3,100.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
But is it really necessary to move as far as Canada to escape the UK ratrace? Surely there are closer places? Its mostly a state of mind anyway I suspect.
Oink pointed out some of the reasons but really if you're going to move, MOVE. If you move to say, Ireland, what's the point?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:05 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Oink
As was noted, income taxes are high here.
Incorrectly. Honestly one of the main reasons I moved to Canada was so that I didn't pay as much tax, and I don't. No question about it.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Impala
if you have a mortage, income tax, 15% tax on goods/services, car payments, insurance payments, pension payments, union dues (depending on your profession), EI payments....need I continue
All of which will cost you more on average in the UK (yes I'm sure you can all quote me exceptions, which is why I said "on average"). Except maybe the car insurance.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Incorrectly. Honestly one of the main reasons I moved to Canada was so that I didn't pay as much tax, and I don't. No question about it.
Booze is more and thats a de facto tax in my book.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

sarah_m will become famous soon enoughsarah_m will become famous soon enough

I've been thinking about this a lot recently..whether living in Canada is really *that* much better than living in England. I think it depends on the person, your age, your expectations, your goals.. For me, I would be living in London if I was staying in the UK. However, I'm moving back to Toronto when I get the chance and my PR comes through. Why? Because it's cheaper, there are more job opportunities, the weather is great and it's just more of an adventure really!

I find that a city like Toronto can provide me with a much better lifestyle than living in London can. I can easily make the equivalent of £25,000 + and rent isn't as expensive as in London either. I'd be lucky to get a job paying that much in London and I'd probably not be able to save any money after rent, bills, council tax, transport costs.. Yes, there are some things that are more expensive, but I think that financially, I'm better off living in Canada.

Not to say that there aren't other issues about not having family around and finding it quite difficult to connect with people over in a foreign country.. but all in all, I see a brighter future for myself in Canada.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:34 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

People put up with the cold and the boredom because they speak English in Canada, it is nearer than Australia and easier to get into than the US. Plus, France, Italy, Asia or Africa might take some effort.
For me this is bang on..if English was the first language of every nation in Europe i would have moved there in the first instance..primarily Holland or Germany/Denmark..that kind of area.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

That's not a de facto tax, that is a tax, booze is taxed. Fair enough, I don't drink enough to notice that one.

Personally I like the fact booze is more expensive and harder to get here, I'm sure it's why there is less vandalism here, but yes that is a tax.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_
That's not a de facto tax, that is a tax, booze is taxed. Fair enough, I don't drink enough to notice that one.

Personally I like the fact booze is more expensive and harder to get here, I'm sure it's why there is less vandalism here, but yes that is a tax.
Yes it is. They have tax on the booze and then the provincial liquor board adds a massive whack on top. Liquor board markups are essentially large fees that are applied to booze at the wholesale level as it goes through the monopoly system and which provides the provincial government with a lucrative source of revenue which in my book are de facto taxes.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:06 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Just wail till min charge per unit comes ino effect in the uk.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boy d
Just wail till min charge per unit comes ino effect in the uk.
I know. Hopefully it'll pursaude people to frequent pubs more often.

Last edited by Oink; Jun 18th 2012 at 8:14 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If it wasn't for the markup the Liquor Distribution Branch put on alcohol then $50,000 a year would be a perfectly adequate income.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If it wasn't for the markup the Liquor Distribution Branch put on alcohol then $50,000 a year would be a perfectly adequate income.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:34 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Minimum price per unit will have hardly any effect in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.