Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jun 16th 2012, 8:23 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I don't think I have ever said that "the UK is better than Canada."

That's why this is a stupid post. Canada is not "better than the UK", despite what many people - yourself included - tend to suggest in your knee-jerk reactions to any post criticising Canada. Conversely, the UK is not "better than Canada".

It depends what you want. In my opinion, if you want a rather sterile life where not much ever happens, then Canada is probably better. If you want a life with great opportunities for the kids, an outdoor lifestyle, and access to mountains and wilderness, then the UK is probably better.
great opportunites for the kids and access to mountains and wildlerness the UK is better? You either are drunk or did a typo....
Old Jun 16th 2012, 8:34 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Nor where I lived in the UK either so I guess it depends with what hand you have been dealt!
exactly....as is the case in Canada. Some would call it luck.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 8:47 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
great opportunites for the kids and access to mountains and wildlerness the UK is better? You either are drunk or did a typo....
I bet that the majority of the Canadian population live nowhere near mountains, and have precious little access to wilderness. Not so in the UK.

Great opportunities for kids in the UK? You bet. Some of the best universities and employers in the world, unfettered access to live/study in all of Europe...

Still, if you INSIST on painting EVERYTHING in the UK negatively just because you had it shit, then that's your loss. If you refuse to accept that there are GREAT opportunities in the UK for those that have the gumption to go for them, then perhaps you did right by 'dropping down a division' to get an easier life.

And don't ever send me abusive PMs again.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 9:03 pm
Banned

I bet that the majority of the Canadian population live nowhere near mountains, and have precious little access to wilderness. Not so in the UK.

Great opportunities for kids in the UK? You bet. Some of the best universities and employers in the world, unfettered access to live/study in all of Europe...

Still, if you INSIST on painting EVERYTHING in the UK negatively just because you had it shit, then that's your loss. If you refuse to accept that there are GREAT opportunities in the UK for those that have the gumption to go for them, then perhaps you did right by 'dropping down a division' to get an easier life.

And don't ever send me abusive PMs again.
or.....?

guess you are saying that life is better in the UK then?

Dropped down a division....your having a laugh? Have you spent a lot of time in the North West?

I dont insist on painting everything in a negative light. if you were objective you would see that. i never said that...my point was life is shaped by experiences, good and bad. You seem to be the knee jerker.....and too thick to grasp the point.

now go and have lie down for FFS...
Old Jun 16th 2012, 9:13 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

or.....?

guess you are saying that life is better in the UK then?

Dropped down a division....your having a laugh? Have you spent a lot of time in the North West?

I dont insist on painting everything in a negative light. if you were objective you would see that. i never said that...my point was life is shaped by experiences, good and bad. You seem to be the knee jerker.....and too thick to grasp the point.

now go and have lie down for FFS...
I'm saying that "opportunities for the kids" is a lame excuse to move countries. If you don't think your kids have opportunities to do well in the UK, but do in Canada, then you're kidding yourself.

What's this? Oh, another PM. How mature.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 9:30 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

why are you banging on about this culture crap....funny that i have never once in 20 plus years, ever felt deprived leaving the UK's culture behind.
I think culture is probably the most important aspect of the human condition.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 9:51 pm
Banned

I'm saying that "opportunities for the kids" is a lame excuse to move countries. If you don't think your kids have opportunities to do well in the UK, but do in Canada, then you're kidding yourself.

What's this? Oh, another PM. How mature.
dont have kids....i have no idea where is better, i actually did think you had made a typo, hence my response.

Cant remember mountains or the widerness being this close to me in the UK Had to deal with cougars and bears in north burnaby when i worked there. Never had that in Manchester. Although those manu supporters got a bit pessky at closing time.

And i am a bit peeved that there are no crappy tires, or timmies within crawling distance where i live. I did see a couple of pick ups though. Only a couple mind, This isn't Abbotsford afterall.

i orginally choose to sling dirt in private. Can't say the same for you.

Last edited by Boy d; Jun 16th 2012 at 9:54 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:31 pm
Lowering the tone

i orginally choose to sling dirt in private. Can't say the same for you.
The difference is I'm not slinging any dirt. This is a Discussion Forum... if you've got something to say, say it. No need for juvenile PMs.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:06 pm
Banned

The difference is I'm not slinging any dirt. This is a Discussion Forum... if you've got something to say, say it. No need for juvenile PMs.
i thought i'd been very objective till you took issue with my noting your silly comments post. I think you actually used the word stupid....and failed completely to get the point.

Anyhow. Just a thick Manc me. No culture to speak of, never went to uni, or lived in a thatched cottage, or hob knobbed with the vicar...a bit like a good number of the other 6 million sods in the North West...(other than those from cheshire of course)

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 16th 2012 at 11:14 pm. Reason: Rule 1. Personal abuse will NOT be tolerated, either on the forum or sent via PM.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Oink
I think culture is probably the most important aspect of the human condition.

is it? And what is this Britsh culture that one can't live without?
Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:11 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcat2010
So, having one of those moments...

What my wife and I have/could potentially have here in the uk, in the cold light of day is.... pretty ok

We are pursuing a life in Canada. (for all the reasons most people emigrate for....) i.e. "cos its better!"

But will it really be that much better and worth all the years of stress... and money ??

What we want from Canada is to secure good careers, give ourselves and our kids a nice house, in a nice part of town, access to the outdoors and to a city etc...

But we actually have that HERE ! And its just not 'enough'...

So why are we not satisfied? Is it because we have been villifying this place so much over the years we rarely see the good?
Am I the only one in the history of immigration that is chasing something that doesnt exist?

To the people with the experience and hindsight....

HOW do I get these rose tinted glasses off and dampen the adventurous feeling that 'something out there is better' ?!
It has to be up to you to decide at the end of the day.

However I would trade places to be back in Scotland in a heart beat. The only things I would miss here (i'm just outside Toronto but was also in Ottawa) is the summer weather - hands down miss that, friends i've made, outdoor splash pads and beautifully kept parks for the kids. Not a whole lot else tbh.

In UK you're close to Europe where architecture etc is 2nd to none - North America is pretty much very samey.

Have you visited Canada much? alot of people seem to think that ALL of Canada is beautiful, like The Rockies, The Ocean, Banff National Park, Lake Louise etc - it isn't. There are lovely bits to most areas here but the same can be said of UK.

All in all, it has to feel right for you and your family - perhaps a month/ 2 month if possible, long trip to see how you really feel. Perhaps you also need to visit in the winter and see how that works for you too.

Good Luck with our decision, it's a toughie that's for sure
Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:14 pm
Lowering the tone

But your a bit of a knob. I cant help myself...keeping thinking about some of your previous comments on here. There's an arrogance about Brits i don't miss....thanks for reminding me.

i thought i'd been very objective till you took issue with my noting your silly comments post. I think you actually used the word stupid....and failed completely to get the point.

Anyhow. Just a thick Manc me. No culture to speak of, never went to uni, or lived in a thatched cottage, or hob knobbed with the vicar...a bit like a good number of the other 6 million sods in the North West...(other than those from cheshire of course)
Your inferiority complex would almost be embarrassing to observe, were it not justified.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:55 pm
Banned

Your inferiority complex would almost be embarrassing to observe, were it not justified.
inferior....not really thought of that way. Left the UK 25 years ago...not sure what there is to be inferior about. I defend here as much as others defend the UK. Someone has to. This is my home. <snip>

I actually miss aspects of the UK, other aspects not so much so. i should imagine i could live quite happily in bits of it....i may well return..who knows. Aging parents is something that looms ever large.

Canada has provided me with the financial security to retire in my early 50's which is not too far around the corner. Sadly, the UK would not have provided me with this security.

I have nothing to be inferior about....I just say it as it is. Besides it's pissing down here (again) have to find something to pass the time.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 17th 2012 at 8:02 am. Reason: Then put them on ignore, instead of resorting to childish name calling.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
In UK you're close to Europe where architecture etc is 2nd to none - North America is pretty much very samey.

Agree about the architecture in Europe! I have a love of old architecture and felt like a kid in a sweets shop in many areas of Scotland & England!

I personally find the architecture in Mexico quite different from most of Canada & the US.

Last edited by NessieOggy; Jun 17th 2012 at 12:18 am. Reason: clarification
Old Jun 17th 2012, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
I still find it interesting, just in a different more colonial way. Victoria and Seattle have some really lovely old buildings. There's a bit in Vancouver in Gastown and New Westminster's Columbia St but most of the old buildings have been knocked down in the rest of the city.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.