Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jul 23rd 2020, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

avjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Hi!
I had a question which I thought I had found the answer to on this thread, however I have been unable to find it again. So apologies if I am asking the same question that some of you may have answered a couple of times already.
I am now a permanent resident of Canada (still feels a bit surreal). I had to return to Ireland in May for family reasons but in early August I am due to fly back to Canada to return to my apartment etc. Aware of all the quarantine restrictions and I have actually rented a place to stay for 14 days, solo, so as not to quarantine with family and to ensure no one is at risk.
I am flying via Vancouver to Victoria and have my ''quarantine plan'' ready to go - because Vancouver is my first arrival airport, am I expected to isolate in Vancouver for the 14 days before flying onward to Victoria (currently I land in Vancouver with an onward flight to Victoria 2 hours later) - I think it is fine to continue my onward journey?
On arrival in Victoria I did not want to use public transport, given my flight, but can i get a taxi to my rental, using PPE etc? I clearly want to do this in the safest manner possible so would welcome anyone's experience on this over recent weeks?
Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 5:40 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avjoy
Hi!
I had a question which I thought I had found the answer to on this thread, however I have been unable to find it again. So apologies if I am asking the same question that some of you may have answered a couple of times already.
I am now a permanent resident of Canada (still feels a bit surreal). I had to return to Ireland in May for family reasons but in early August I am due to fly back to Canada to return to my apartment etc. Aware of all the quarantine restrictions and I have actually rented a place to stay for 14 days, solo, so as not to quarantine with family and to ensure no one is at risk.
I am flying via Vancouver to Victoria and have my ''quarantine plan'' ready to go - because Vancouver is my first arrival airport, am I expected to isolate in Vancouver for the 14 days before flying onward to Victoria (currently I land in Vancouver with an onward flight to Victoria 2 hours later) - I think it is fine to continue my onward journey?
On arrival in Victoria I did not want to use public transport, given my flight, but can i get a taxi to my rental, using PPE etc? I clearly want to do this in the safest manner possible so would welcome anyone's experience on this over recent weeks?
Thanks!
As long as you are asymptomatic then you can continue to your final destination. You just have to go straight there without stopping along the way for shopping etc.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 6:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avjoy
Hi!
Thanks!
Hello I think the post you mentioned might have been in another thread..

You might want to book your taxi in advance - or perhaps contact them
Here''s a couple of links for ones that work the airport

Yellow Cab of Victoria - Yellow Cab of Victoria
https://uptowntaxi.ca/

You might find this of use once you get there- links within anyway
https://www.victoria.ca/EN/main/resi...bourhoods.html
https://www.instacart.ca/grocery-del...in-victoria-bc
https://www.saveonfoods.com/shop-online-how-it-works/
https://www.spud.ca/index.cfm?login=0&goto=/index.cfm
(there's others.. plus restaurants that deliver)

Good luck with your move over

Old Jul 23rd 2020, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Even in Vancouver? Wouldn't that be like earning £12-13 per hour in London?

Good luck with the application though Jsmith321. I hope everything works out for you.

While I have left Vancouver, $25/hr would be sufficient for a single person renting, but not owning. That comes to just about 41,000 a year after taxes and such, and can expect to pay 15,000-20,000 a year in rent.

Old Jul 23rd 2020, 9:15 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
While I have left Vancouver, $25/hr would be sufficient for a single person renting, but not owning. That comes to just about 41,000 a year after taxes and such, and can expect to pay 15,000-20,000 a year in rent.
Just out of curiosity, what would you be renting in Vancouver for $1k-1300 pm? I'm intrigued because I've never been to Vancouver but I've often heard it's insanely expensive.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 10:44 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Back on Topic...Avjoy, what a nice post, you aren't seeking to sidestep, endanger or do anything obnoxious to anyone and wanting to protect your family. Well done...and welcome back to Canada. Canada NEEDS you!
Old Jul 24th 2020, 2:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of curiosity, what would you be renting in Vancouver for $1k-1300 pm? I'm intrigued because I've never been to Vancouver but I've often heard it's insanely expensive.
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...164738941.html

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...163110796.html

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...164543968.html

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...164677974.html

A couple of examples.

Old Jul 24th 2020, 3:36 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Could you please keep on topic.. . Thank you. You do have a tendency to take things off on a tangent

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 24th 2020 at 3:48 am.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

avjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hello I think the post you mentioned might have been in another thread..

You might want to book your taxi in advance - or perhaps contact them
Here''s a couple of links for ones that work the airport

Yellow Cab of Victoria - Yellow Cab of Victoria
https://uptowntaxi.ca/

You might find this of use once you get there- links within anyway
https://www.victoria.ca/EN/main/resi...bourhoods.html
https://www.instacart.ca/grocery-del...in-victoria-bc
https://www.saveonfoods.com/shop-online-how-it-works/
https://www.spud.ca/index.cfm?login=0&goto=/index.cfm
(there's others.. plus restaurants that deliver)

Good luck with your move over
Thank you so much for these links - very helpful
Old Jul 29th 2020, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the UK government agrees that airport testing does NOT take tge place of quarantine on arrival!

http://BBC News - Airport coronaviru...iness-53578102
Old Jul 29th 2020, 12:31 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Looks like the UK government agrees that airport testing does NOT take tge place of quarantine on arrival!

http://BBC News - Airport coronaviru...iness-53578102
The UK government only stopped using Backscatter machines in airports and forcing people to go through them or face a no-fly ban because the EU introduced laws to prevent the UK from doing that.

I wouldn't trust the UK on these matters anymore than I'd trust the government of a Central African or South American banana republic.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

I think this article is certainly worth reading:
https://financialpost.com/transporta...-0a72c4625fd1/
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

https://globalnews.ca/news/7229495/c...l-restriction/
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly my words: Executives pointed out that the EU and Switzerland are “safe jurisdictions” with many countries having lower infection rates than Canada.

“Canada has made tremendous strides during the pandemic but it cannot remain isolated forever.”
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:34 pm
Banned

Economics or death rate..............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.