Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Aug 3rd 2020, 5:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Well for one it's essentially saying that everyone from the outside world is potentially diseased isn't it.
Yes. They are potentially
It's all a bit medieval when you think about it.
Not really. Somewhere around 95% of the cases in this province have been tracked to people bringing it in and most of that from outside Canada.

It sounds very sensible.

Old Aug 3rd 2020, 5:17 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes. They are potentially
Don't you think that's a bit of a sad and somewhat xenophobic attitude to take?

Not really. Somewhere around 95% of the cases in this province have been tracked to people bringing it in and most of that from outside Canada.

It sounds very sensible.
What, the recent cases? From which countries?
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 9:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

As of today - 14 consecutive days without a new case - we have ZERO active cases in the province so, no, I don't.
Remember it's everyone required to do the self isolating. Everyone and anyone arriving in Canada regardless of their nationality.
No idea. In true Canadian style - or at least NB style - they like be secretive about things.

Most of the more recent cases for here have been TFWs.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 9:06 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the more recent cases for here have been TFWs.
OK, so based on the assumption those are agricultural workers, would you advocate banning those people from Canada? Keeping in mind those are the people helping to keep others fed.

And I never said it was racism. I said it was xenophobia. By enacting a blanket quarantine on arrival process, they are essentially saying "well you're unfit to rejoin our society because you've been to the outside world and the outside world is dirty".
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 9:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so based on the assumption those are agricultural workers, would you advocate banning those people from Canada? Keeping in mind those are the people helping to keep others fed.
And I never said it was racism. I said it was xenophobia. By enacting a blanket quarantine on arrival process, they are essentially saying "well you're unfit to rejoin our society because you've been to the outside world and the outside world is dirty".
Oh dear. You really are exhibiting troll like behaviour of late...... NO, it's not xenophobic in the slightest, you are reading into it that which doesn't exist.. no matter where anyone comes from - even those who are Canadians have to undergo quarantine when they re-enter Canada. Give it a rest.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 9:13 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Oh dear. You really are exhibiting troll like behaviour of late...... NO, it's not xenophobic in the slightest, you are reading into it that which doesn't exist.. no matter where anyone comes from - even those who are Canadians have to undergo quarantine when they re-enter Canada
I'm not sure that's true, I think you just disagree with me. Anyway it looks like no side is going to change the other one's mind so I'm happy to leave it.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 3rd 2020 at 9:16 pm. Reason: included the rest of the quote.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 9:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that's true, I think you just disagree with me. Anyway it looks like no side is going to change the other one's mind so I'm happy to leave it.
Not just me, the majority disagree with you..

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 5th 2020 at 1:49 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 9:45 pm
Oscar nominated

Why would I do that? Initially the NB government did halt it but the businesses said they couldn't get workers any other way so the government relented.
That most of the recent positive results have been among TFWs shows the isolation is a good idea doesn't it? Imagine the community transmission otherwise.

And I never said it was racism.
Did anyone say you did?
I said it was xenophobia.
Fear of foreigners. Discrimination of people from other countries.
By enacting a blanket quarantine on arrival process,
Well there you go. It applies to all so it's not discriminatory.
The other day there was a debate where someone was suggesting that for certain countries with low infection rates, the rules should be relaxed. I believe you were in agreement. Favourable treatment for those from one country and not a different one; Now that would be discriminatory

Old Aug 3rd 2020, 10:01 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Well there you go. It applies to all so it's not discriminatory.
It's discriminatory because it implies that all other countries are dirty and infected while Canada is some sort of sterile bubble. It's not an attitude that's unique to Canada by any means and in fact some other countries have gone to much worse extremes but that still doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 10:04 pm
Sidecar Falcon

The other day there was a debate where someone was suggesting that for certain countries with low infection rates, the rules should be relaxed. I believe you were in agreement. Favourable treatment for those from one country and not a different one; Now that would be discriminatory
No, that would be common sense. You wouldn't be favouring people based on their ethnicity or nationality. You'd be assessing risk based on where they just arrived from and their recent travel movements. Some Asian countries have been doing that for years.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 10:51 pm
Banned

It's discriminatory because it implies that all other countries are dirty and infected while Canada is some sort of sterile bubble. It's not an attitude that's unique to Canada by any means and in fact some other countries have gone to much worse extremes but that still doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do.
YAWN
Old Aug 4th 2020, 12:14 am
Oscar nominated

No, that would be common sense. You wouldn't be favouring people based on their ethnicity or nationality. You'd be assessing risk based on where they just arrived from and their recent travel movements. Some Asian countries have been doing that for years.
So let me get this right. A country or a province in the example I referred to with a big fat zero level of active cases - your sterile bubble example - applying certain conditions to those who want to enter or return is not common sense but discrimination and xenophobic - even though it includes its own citizens - while discriminating in favour of those from one country and against those from a different one is apparently not discriminatory.

You're happily telling one group of people they come from a "dirty country" to use your words.

Old Aug 4th 2020, 9:24 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly enough Bristol and I both live in a pretty well Covid free zone our house prices have just shot through the roof because other people want to come and live here too.

I just hope that NB can stay in splendid isolation...I don't want anybody here for the foreseeable future...
Old Aug 4th 2020, 9:27 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by MillieF
Interestingly enough Bristol and I both live in a pretty well Covid free zone our house prices have just shot through the roof because other people want to come and live here too.

I just hope that NB can stay in splendid isolation...I don't want anybody here for the foreseeable future...
What a delightfully cosmopolitan and welcoming attitude.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 9:37 am
Sidecar Falcon

So let me get this right. A country or a province in the example I referred to with a big fat zero level of active cases - your sterile bubble example - applying certain conditions to those who want to enter or return is not common sense but discrimination and xenophobic - even though it includes its own citizens - while discriminating in favour of those from one country and against those from a different one is apparently not discriminatory.

You're happily telling one group of people they come from a "dirty country" to use your words.

Well thought out and reasoned protocols based on country/region can be based upon fact. Blanket protocols tend to be based on fear and general xenophobia. I'm not sure how I can be any more clear than that really.

The latter is also far more likely to cause extreme economic problems than the first. The first still allows limited business to continue in industries that rely on travel, hospitality and tourism.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.