Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Oh My God!!!!!!!

Oh My God!!!!!!!

Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:30 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oh My God!!!!!!!

Well folks,
Thats it we are committed (or need committing) Chris has signed contract with new employer, they have submitted LMO, and Chris has resigned from UK job. (GULP).

We are now wading through paperwork, what to do with pensions/state pensions/endowments.

As Chris is going alone for six months also have to fit in a crash course in washing/ironing/cooking/cleaning, might not bother with that actually, just leave him to it. He did mention something about an au pair, I just gave him a withering look, I think he got the message.....

Charlie
Old Dec 28th 2007, 6:28 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Well done charlie

New year party at yours then, wow this will be your last xmas and new year in the uk, so pleased for you, at least you can start planning

Your uk pension will freeze, but there is plenty who can pass you details of advisors etc, im sure he will be able to claim back tax if he goes before april 6th, do a search on here or im sure the wiki maybe of some use

Gill
Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:45 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

What can I say! Just read through the news It really will fly by - all those loooonnnnnggggg days of waiting for news will now fly by now you have stuff to do!!!
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:14 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done Charlie and Mr P80!! What a lovely New Year pressie

Forget about the crash course in domestic matters - he probably wont be listening to you anyway if he is anything like my OH.

On the pensions matter - I thought that if we kept paying NI contributions they weren't frozen - is this wrong?
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Alvic
Well done Charlie and Mr P80!! What a lovely New Year pressie

Forget about the crash course in domestic matters - he probably wont be listening to you anyway if he is anything like my OH.

On the pensions matter - I thought that if we kept paying NI contributions they weren't frozen - is this wrong?
Thank you all,
Thanksgiving at mine next year it will be my 40th birthday!

I thought state pensions froze the minute you left?? We intend to get a pension forecast done and then probably top them up to ensure that we get a half pension. If you were moving within the EU they would not be frozen, but commonwealth countries get frozen?? I think there is a court case going on at the moment, which could result in that changing. So we thought we would hedge our bets.

Then we have to get our heads around the endowment, it has been running for 9 years, so if we cash in now we would pay UK tax. We could leave it and keep paying into it, but then when it matures we would pay Canadian tax on it??? Looks like the tax man will benefit most, how unfair, thats the corvette out the window.

Don't think he will get any tax back as it will almost be the end of the tax year when he goes, will still put the P85 in though, better in our pocket than the taxmans!

Charlie

Like your wheels Mandy.....

Last edited by purple80; Dec 28th 2007 at 10:43 pm. Reason: Typing too fast brain can't cope.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:45 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by purple80
Thank you all,
Thanksgiving at mine next year it will be my 40th birthday!

I thought state pensions froze the minute you left?? We intend to get a pension forecast done and then probably top them up to ensure that we get a half pension. If you were moving within the EU they would not be frozen, but commonwealth countries get frozen?? I think there is a court case going on at the moment, which could result in that changing. So we thought we would hedge our bets.

Then we have to get our heads around the endowment, it has been running for 9 years, so if we cash in now we would pay UK tax. We could leave it and keep paying into it, but then when it matures we would pay Canadian tax on it??? Looks like the tax man will benefit most, how unfair, thats the corvette out the window.

Don't think he will get any tax back as it will almost be the end of the tax year when he goes, will still put the P85 in though, better in our pocket than the taxmans!

Charlie

Like your wheels Mandy.....
Are you going to continue paying NI contributions then or not...ohhhh..its too late at night for me to be figuring out pensions

The guy in the NI office told me that if we still paid our NI from Canada we still got our pension, that it was paid to you no matter where you lived in the world...is this crap then or what?
Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:54 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to continue paying NI contributions then or not...ohhhh..its too late at night for me to be figuring out pensions

The guy in the NI office told me that if we still paid our NI from Canada we still got our pension, that it was paid to you no matter where you lived in the world...is this crap then or what?
You can get your pension but unlike other commonwealth countries, in Canada it is frozen from the day you leave. Didn't know you could continue to pay NI contributions, will look that one up.

Counting down Al
Old Dec 29th 2007, 4:23 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
You can get your pension but unlike other commonwealth countries, in Canada it is frozen from the day you leave. Didn't know you could continue to pay NI contributions, will look that one up.

Counting down Al
Yes indeed you can continue paying your contributions, which will increase your UK pension at retirement. You can also make a lump sum payment to bring your contributions up to date. Hopefully in the near future the court case will have succeeded in overturning the inequities between countries. You can get all the info on the UK Pensions website http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ipc/country.asp
Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:30 pm

Yay babe, its crap, pension gets frozen the moment you leave the UK for a commonwealth country, if you were going to France you would be ok as that is part of the EU.

You can top up state pension before you leave...Which is when??
Charlie
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:12 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
Yes indeed you can continue paying your contributions, which will increase your UK pension at retirement. You can also make a lump sum payment to bring your contributions up to date. Hopefully in the near future the court case will have succeeded in overturning the inequities between countries. You can get all the info on the UK Pensions website http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ipc/country.asp
Thank you you're a treasure, you can see how organised we've been
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:25 am

Just thought I would update this.....

Had update off new employer the other day to say that they are expecting LMO soon....Not worried about that yet!

Leaving party being arranged for the 15th March, which is something else to organise. House about to go on the market, just need to get a few more things done, like sell 3 of the 5 cars and remove 20 tyres and various car parts out of the back garden, need to empty shed of car parts as well.

Chris leaves on the 25th March, starts new job on the 31st March. That gives him almost a week to find his bearings, rent an apartment, buy a Corvette (not sure when that got agreed????). Sort out driving licence, insurance, and sin card. He will also be visiting his new employer, learning about his new job and probably wondering what the hell he has done!

Anything else we have forgotten??

I plan to visit at the beginning of June, we need to pick an area to live in so that I can sort schools ready for September. We are not really sure of any areas, we visited Orangville and Shelburne when we were out in October, but I wasn't too sure. Chris will be spending his weekends looking at different areas, I have looked at different places on the internet, quite like Erin and Aurora, but it is very hard to do that, you can't really tell if you would actually want to live there.

Chris will arrange rented house for when the children and I arrive at the beginning of August. By which time I will have sold the house and shipped all our worldly goods. Sorted, ha ha....There's positive mental attitude for you!

My father who lives in France is interested in our Morris Minor, which adds another interesting twist as he/we would need to get that to the Mid Pyrenees!

We have friends visiting this weekend that we have not seen for two years, we spoke on the phone last night and they are hoping to move to SK, we had no idea about their plans and they had no idea about ours!

Guess what we will be talking about over a few drinks this weekend!
Charlie
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:54 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

Congratulations!! Tell your friends (who are looking at Saskatchewan) to contact me for info or help.
Good luck
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple80
Just thought I would update this.....

Had update off new employer the other day to say that they are expecting LMO soon....Not worried about that yet!

Leaving party being arranged for the 15th March, which is something else to organise. House about to go on the market, just need to get a few more things done, like sell 3 of the 5 cars and remove 20 tyres and various car parts out of the back garden, need to empty shed of car parts as well.

Chris leaves on the 25th March, starts new job on the 31st March. That gives him almost a week to find his bearings, rent an apartment, buy a Corvette (not sure when that got agreed????). Sort out driving licence, insurance, and sin card. He will also be visiting his new employer, learning about his new job and probably wondering what the hell he has done!

Anything else we have forgotten??

I plan to visit at the beginning of June, we need to pick an area to live in so that I can sort schools ready for September. We are not really sure of any areas, we visited Orangville and Shelburne when we were out in October, but I wasn't too sure. Chris will be spending his weekends looking at different areas, I have looked at different places on the internet, quite like Erin and Aurora, but it is very hard to do that, you can't really tell if you would actually want to live there.

Chris will arrange rented house for when the children and I arrive at the beginning of August. By which time I will have sold the house and shipped all our worldly goods. Sorted, ha ha....There's positive mental attitude for you!

My father who lives in France is interested in our Morris Minor, which adds another interesting twist as he/we would need to get that to the Mid Pyrenees!

We have friends visiting this weekend that we have not seen for two years, we spoke on the phone last night and they are hoping to move to SK, we had no idea about their plans and they had no idea about ours!

Guess what we will be talking about over a few drinks this weekend!
Charlie
Hi Charlie could you organise our life as well as yours is sorted, A house, 3 cars the sorting and packing as well as container, 3 dogs and a new house would do, hope you have a great weekend, hope the house sells quickly for you
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:01 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

congrats charlie

look forward to seeing you over here in august

regards

steve
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by roanin
Congratulations!! Tell your friends (who are looking at Saskatchewan) to contact me for info or help.
Good luck
Will do, thanks.....

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Hi Charlie could you organise our life as well as yours is sorted, A house, 3 cars the sorting and packing as well as container, 3 dogs and a new house would do, hope you have a great weekend, hope the house sells quickly for you
Sure, no problem coffeepot, err pass the valium someone!

Originally Posted by steved61
congrats charlie

look forward to seeing you over here in august

regards

steve
Hi Steve,
I'm sure you will see Chris before then and I am over in June, will come and see you and Cj.

Charlie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.