Reload this Page >

McCartney / Seal Cull

McCartney / Seal Cull

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Balzac will become famous soon enoughBalzac will become famous soon enough
Default Re: McCartney / Seal Cull

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh, they've thought of that, Newfoundland might be one of the world's most subsidised places. It's problematic though, in rural communities there is no politically correct form of employment, seals get whacked, trees get cut down, the earth gets dug up, people in big cities in far countries tut about it all but, except for London7, they carry on eating cod and they keep building with wood. The Newfoundland government even forced collectivisation, rather like Stalin (google Smallwood Outports) in the interests of economic change but to no great effect. The only thing that's moved the Newfies from depending on natural resources is the diaspora.

Personally, I used to feel for the seals but really I'd rather see a thousand seals clubbed and a thousand dogs skinned alive than a happy Paul McCartney. Perhaps a deal could be brokered whereby Caanda would stop seal culling and he'd agree to destroy his entire back catalogue.
Sounds like a deal! You think Stephen Harper will go along with that?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 12:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Balzac
Sounds like a deal! You think Stephen Harper will go along with that?
Stephen Who ?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Balzac will become famous soon enoughBalzac will become famous soon enough

Stephen Who ?
I thought not, though I did hear the Conservatives are the only major political party not supporting the hunt.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 1:18 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London7
Do we need fur coats? i dont think so.................................
Of course the rich and famous need fur coats, more than one each in fact.

How else would they differentiate themselves from the scruffy masses....by bling, and fur, and poor taste, and wanton expenditure, and gated communities, and chauffered limousines. Optional is bizarre sexual experimentation (not an exclusive of the rich and famous).

It is of the world, of how it has been and always will be.

Rich.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 2:22 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps a deal could be brokered whereby Caanda would stop seal culling and he'd agree to destroy his entire back catalogue.
Seems harsh if thats to include all Lennon/McCartney too

"Maybe Im Amazed" or whatever it was was OK in its own way too, but perhaps is the exception that prooves the "sucks as a solo artist" rule.

Not entirely sure how fisheries canada was responsible for every bloody nation under the sun coming to international waters and hauling in the Cod

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 3rd 2006 at 2:27 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

love_it_here will become famous soon enoughlove_it_here will become famous soon enough

I agree with you regarding the ineptidude of the Canadian fisheries dept.
With the melting ice there is a now a problem with the harp seals breeding grounds shrinking. Also the krull (not sure of spelling!) which is linked to the welfare of many marine animals is in drastic decline probably due to global warming the end result of which means the delicate food chain that exists in the arctic and indeed the antarctic is at risk. Back to the seals;" In 2002, a poor ice year, Canadian government scientists assume that three-quarters (75 percent) of the pups died as a consequence of bad ice conditions. In 1998 and 2000, they estimated that one-quarter of the pups died due to lack of ice before the hunt began"...seems to me that they are adjusting the numbers to suit the needs of the fishermen.
“Harp seals depend on a stable ice platform to give birth to their pups and successfully nurse them. When ice fails to form, or is unusually thin, normal pupping and nursing is drastically affected and large numbers of newborn pups die,” said Dr. David Lavigne, IFAW’s Science Advisor and internationally renowned marine mammal expert who has studied harp seals for the past 30 years. “The combination of a lack of ice and a seal hunt could result in the loss of almost all of this year’s pups born in the Gulf and, possibly, on the Front, as well.”
Dr David Lavigne- marine biologist.

There is no plan to account for the effects of climate change and the melting ice thus we could reach a stage whereby the numbers reach a dangerous low as has happened with cod...we cannot just "hope for the best" . ...oh and unfortunately not all the cubs are shot and then humanely skinned. I saw some footage of it last year.
It is difficult to get this stuff filmed as it is illegal to film the cull courtesy of the canadian government.... I have no opinion on Paul Mcartney but if it gets some much needed coverage for this issue then kudos.

Last edited by love_it_here; Mar 3rd 2006 at 4:18 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 4:07 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by London7
maybe you would enjoy being skinned alive by these brutal morons?
and before you even ask do i eat meat or wear leather, thats a no!
if you educated yourself you might read that independent reports have confirmed the seals actually HELP the fish population.
sorry, but it makes me sick. and something that really irritates me about canadians, their apathy.
they should be deeply ashamed of this cull.
Do we need fur coats? i dont think so.................................

What a total moron!!

.... as though it's legal to skin the seals alive.

.... as though you could possibly totally avoid consuming or using animal products.

..... as though the seals in the Gulf are increasing fish populations.

..... walk into any bar in Atlantic Canada then spout off your rubbish and see just how apathic Canadians are.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 3rd 2006 at 4:45 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 4:16 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Addy
The only reason, McCartney's in Canada, is because no-one in the UK will listen to him anymore

If McCartney's really got a conscience, he should get his arse over to Iraq to highlight the plight of innocent humans getting slaughtered everyday in the name of oil.

If he feels so bad about the plight of the seals, he should donate some of his considerable wealth, to investing some diversity of employment in the areas that the seal hunters live and work, everybody needs money to live and support their families, what choice would you make between a cute seal cub and feeding/supporting your family if there was no other choice available?

Economics pure and simple, that is how western consumer society exists.

If you don't like it, i've heard North Korea is nice this time of year!!!!
Bingo.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 4:43 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Bingo.
Wonders will never cease. I will have to slit my throat. I actually agree with you on something.... :scared:
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 4:48 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by dingbat
Wonders will never cease. I will have to slit my throat. I actually agree with you on something.... :scared:
Does that mean you think that engine block heaters are to be used at any temperature below 0 degrees C?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 4:49 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Does that mean you think that engine block heaters are to be used at any temperature below 0 degrees C?
PMSL...
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dingbat
PMSL...

oceanmdx,
hummm interesting post...........
walk into any bar???? thats says it all!!!!!!!!
hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Seems harsh if thats to include all Lennon/McCartney too
Everything post Lennon. It seems to me that McCartney's solo efforts have caused as much suffering to humanity as the hunt has to sealdom.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

HELLO PEEPS` - nearly missed out on this thread.

We live in a world that is yet to arrive at a point of "shan-gra-la" dom!

Whilst one must respect (as millions died in two world wars for them) the PC brigade.

I have just one thing to say to those people.

When you people are next out on a street or sat around a dinner table, protesting your de-stain regarding "animal cruelty", consider this -

Some time during that day you all would have used a soap or makeup product on ya body.

How do ya think it was decided that it was safe FOR YOU to use.

.........................Yes that`s right ya hypocrite - on animals that were restrained / held captive and even chemically burnt, so that yours and my modesty - could be satisfied.

So unless you animal rights people want to be filth for life - SHUT IT NOW!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 12:56 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Actually I think most of them are shot rather than clubbed.
That is also my understanding. Clubbing makes for better TV though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.