Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The main day-to-day differences between Canada and The US

The main day-to-day differences between Canada and The US

Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:34 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The main day-to-day differences between Canada and The US

Originally Posted by Alan2005
ah, then carry on. You've got to feel sorry for him living, as he does, in the land of fox news. I suppose it must make him feel really special to think he's got something we "can't have", even though we don't want it and haven't tried to get it. Sort of like a reverse fox and the grapes.
I'm just honoured to share the same pixels as the likes of him.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Try software development with endless 'strokey beard' meetings.
I have a beard and I'm prone to stroking it during tedious meetings, mostly to prevent folk from noticing the stifled yawn.

Should I have been a software developer?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:08 am
Reagent

lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
True enough. But one gets a bit bored on a Sunday evening when all you have to look forward to is teaching ingrates about quantum spectroscopy in the morning.
Hey! I'm in your class tomorrow morning! Be sure of some disruption...
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:13 am
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Village of the Damned was the name of the film based on the Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham.

I've never understood why.
The sway of monotheism one would imagine..
Always preferred The Kraken Wakes personally...
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:17 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Can't anyone get a student visa in the US?
Yes. Pretty much. My friend did it for a real estate course FFS.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Weebie
I experienced it a lot in Calgary. They will be nice to you but no one wants to know you. It's like their comfortable with their inner circle and don't want it changed. although I'm sure the states has similar elements but this was the big thing I noticed abut Canada.
Well I have never noticed it here. People have been amazing.

Another day to day difference is that you will notice no Americans have any idea where Canada is, or what goes on here. They are totally unaware of anything outside of their own front door.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobthedog
Well I have never noticed it here. People have been amazing.

Another day to day difference is that you will notice no Americans have any idea where Canada is, or what goes on here. They are totally unaware of anything outside of their own front door.
Well, that's a generalization that has plenty of exceptions. I live in the US and I had a conversation yesterday with a neighbor who's going to Italy in April. She knew more than I did about the recent upheaval in Tunisia, Egypt and Lybia. I have an American friend whose son is going to university in Canada later this year. I have another American friend who just got back from a business trip to India. He also travels to Canada regularly.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

Maybe so, but remember that I am just a dumb truck driver and, as such, tend not to mix with the people who travel abroad on business or who think anywhere past Disneyworld is not worth the trip..

And when it comes to percentages of people in the know, it is a small percentage in the US who actually have any idea where India is on a globe.

Most of the people in the US only ever travel abroad as part of an invading military..
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

happy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud of

Whenever I hear the US/Canada debate I seem to always think of the Rick Mercer show when he visited a number of Ivy league Universities in the US to seek their views on the culling of seals on the Alberta/Sask border - Most of the Americans were outraged!

HH
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
You can get into Canada as a bus driver mate. You need to be at the top of your game in some advanced field to get into the states.

When did you get your visa for the states?
No doubt you can! All those new-Canadians driving for Calgary Transit can't all be brain-surgeons taking upgrading courses, can they?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:29 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I've done both. Neither was difficult.
Me too and me neither.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe so, but remember that I am just a dumb truck driver and, as such, tend not to mix with the people who travel abroad on business or who think anywhere past Disneyworld is not worth the trip..

And when it comes to percentages of people in the know, it is a small percentage in the US who actually have any idea where India is on a globe.

Most of the people in the US only ever travel abroad as part of an invading military..
Ah, I wonder how many Brits have been further afield than the Costa del Sun or Disneyworld? How many Brits can name their local MP?

Surely you can accept that there are ****wits and intelligensia in all parts of the world
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Ah, I wonder how many Brits have been further afield than the Costa del Sun or Disneyworld? How many Brits can name their local MP?

Surely you can accept that there are ****wits and intelligensia in all parts of the world
Very true.

Although I think most Canadians are aware of the goings on in at least one other country besides Canada - and that's the US. I'm not sure the same can be said for Americans. Most Canadians live within striking distance of the US border and the US is very important to Canada in terms of its economy, defense, etc.

I also think that Canadian TV news tends to have more foreign content - again including a big focus on anything going on in the US. In a big country with 300 million people there's a lot of stuff going on and I think the US media tends to focus on domestic issues more.

My daughter's US high school curriculum includes US History and World History. I really wish that it was North American History instead of US History because the histories of the US/Canada are interrelated. Understanding Canada gives you a better understanding of the US - and vice versa.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

.......Another day to day difference is that you will notice no Americans have any idea where Canada is, or what goes on here. They are totally unaware of anything outside of their own front door.
I call bollocks to this.....

Having said that, although it could be that you know so many Americans like this and as a result feel you can tar them all with the bullshit brush. Somehow, I think not.

I have a fair few American friends...who are nothing like the stereotype presented here.

And on the Rick Mercer note, taking a similar track, I would bet that such a show could be done anywhere, on the folks of any country about another.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
DBD you're wearing the wrong specs again:

Percentage of Canadians with passports versus Americans

That would be 30% of Americans versus 60% of Canadians.

Firearms deaths:
Approximately 70 percent of the total murders in the U.S. are committed with firearms, versus about 30 percent in Canada.[11]

Day to day differences: we have the Queen on the money, French on labelling, kilometres on the roads, and less flags flying!
Just in case you thought I was shot by a passing Canadian, I concede that a greater proportion of Canadians than Americans have passports and attribute this to Americans being able to get to Disney without one.

On the homicides, I think your article misrepresents the situation, it's the proportion of the population killed by shooting in any given period that matters, not the proportion of murder victims who are shot. I believe that lots of people get shot in parts of Detroit and parts of Toronto, almost no one gets shot in Vermont or New Brunswick. However, having been around this a hundred times before, I'm not compelled to dig up the numbers. In neither country is homicide by firearm, indeed firearms at all, a feature of day-to-day life.

The backpack thing I think is because Roots, a company founded by Americans, uses a Canadian flag as a logo. Americans wearing or carrying this brand of goods will be wearing Canadian flags; it doesn't imply that they know it's a national flag nor that they attach meaning to it. Is this a day-to-day concern? Only to Canadians.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.