Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The main day-to-day differences between Canada and The US

The main day-to-day differences between Canada and The US

Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:44 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The main day-to-day differences between Canada and The US

Originally Posted by Tangram
You must be living in the village of the damned. I have lived in Moncton/Riverview and now Fredericton and have never experienced that.
Well French is the first language here, so yep 'village of the damned' pretty much describes it!! Have spoken to non-local Canadians in the area and they find it grim here too!!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:29 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The backpack thing I think is because Roots, a company founded by Americans, uses a Canadian flag as a logo. Americans wearing or carrying this brand of goods will be wearing Canadian flags; it doesn't imply that they know it's a national flag nor that they attach meaning to it. Is this a day-to-day concern? Only to Canadians.
Absolute nonsense & not borne out by many people's actual real life experience (including mine)..

As for Canadian's being bothered by it, I can't imagine any country being totally unconcerned by another countries members masquerading in such a flippant manner..

Guns....
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...rms-per-capita
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

When I was still living in the UK in the seventies various American cousins from Seattle - I have about 50 of them - would stay with us on the way to their year long hike round Europe. And ALL of them wore Canadian Flags stitched to their backpacks, because they thought that they would avoid being mistaken for nosy/rude Americans in Paris etc. This was 20 years or so before Roots: though "Roots" might have been on TV at the time!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:36 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
When I was still living in the UK in the seventies various American cousins from Seattle - I have about 50 of them - would stay with us on the way to their year long hike round Europe. And ALL of them wore Canadian Flags stitched to their backpacks, because they thought that they would avoid being mistaken for nosy/rude Americans in Paris etc. This was 20 years or so before Roots: though "Roots" might have been on TV at the time!
I agree that the Roots thing is a red (maple leaf coloured) herring.

But in the seventies traveling US youth in Europe should have been serving their country in Vietnam.

The lilly-livered preverts pretended to be Canadian to avoid the righteous scorn of the upstanding Europeans at the time.

Oh it's just like yesterday!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Roots was around long before that - the company was founded in 1973. When I arrived in Canada in 1989, my first job was as a software developer for a company who had Roots as one of their largest clients.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Vietnam was winding down by then. And these big lunks would come and stay in Wythenshawe after living on the West Coast of the US of A. Dumb as a bag of hammers all of them. Dumb, but nice and polite. They are all in their fifties now!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Roots was around long before that - the company was founded in 1973. When I arrived in Canada in 1989, my first job was as a software developer for a company who had Roots as one of their largest clients.
Eee by gum! I never knew that. I thought they were an 80's thing!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Vietnam was winding down by then. And these big lunks would come and stay in Wythenshawe after living on the West Coast of the US of A. Dumb as a bag of hammers all of them. Dumb, but nice and polite. They are all in their fifties now!
In terms of the perception of the USA abroad, do you think Vietnam will ever die down? I don't.

Then, of course, they keep making the same cock up elsewhere.

Ah, the joys of being a self important superpower!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 2:15 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
In terms of the perception of the USA abroad, do you think Vietnam will ever die down? I don't.

Then, of course, they keep making the same cock up elsewhere.

Ah, the joys of being a self important superpower!
Funnily enough I got treated badly in Vietnam when I wore a t-shirt with some french on it. They don't like the french there - they should wear belgian flags when they visit.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 2:50 am
Reagent

lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Funnily enough I got treated badly in Vietnam when I wore a t-shirt with some french on it. They don't like the french there - they should wear belgian flags when they visit.
But don't do that if visiting the Congo.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 9:05 pm
Born again atheist

Perhaps the French on your t-shirt said something like "allez a l'enfer, batards communiste"?
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

jeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the rough

The day-to-day differences between Canada and The US is different for everyone. it depends on what you want out of life and life style. For me Canada comes top for me on some things and last in some things.
1. The average house Price here starts from $600,000.00 for most areas
2. Upscale area in Seattle is $450.000.00
3. Food way cheaper in the US
4. Good public transport system in BC
5. Some public transport system in US, However, they don't like it.

Like everything else in life, You win some, You loose some.

Thanks
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:38 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Perhaps the French on your t-shirt said something like "allez a l'enfer, batards communiste"?
alas no, but I would love a t-shirt that said something like that or variations on a theme.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:39 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

alas no, but I would love a t-shirt that said something like that or variations on a theme.
There are several websites that would cater to your desire for said garment.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Americans do not want to be Canadian, most Canadians want to be American but won't admit it.

Canadians compare everything they do to how it is done in the US, Americans view Canadians as poorer, less competent versions of Americans.

I suspect that a much higher percentage of Canadians vacation in the US than Americans vacationing in Canada; ditto for those that "live" in both countries.

Day to day, there is not a huge amount of difference between the two except the distinct lack of competition in every aspect of life in Canada.
Not that this changes what you wrote in any way about Americans perspective on Canada but as an outsider (Aussie) I always perceive Canada and Canadians to be, on average, in a better situation than America and a more desirable place to live. On a lot of the international surveys that are released Canada is often right up there slightly in front of, or slightly behind Australia, while the states is often well behind. Obviously just talking in broad averages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.