Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The main day-to-day differences between Canada and The US

The main day-to-day differences between Canada and The US

Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:07 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The main day-to-day differences between Canada and The US

Originally Posted by cxx
Have to disagree - 10 years after leaving the US we are still close friends with our old neighbours, have been to their family weddings, etc. whilst in here NB we try to speak to people in the street etc. and they just ignore us (and each other, so we don't think it's personal!!) - it's the first place we've lived where we haven't got to know our neighbours.
You're an outsider to Canadians always are and always will be. They are very private of their housing circle and circle of friends.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:08 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A lot of people on this forum won't get into Canada either. Although I'm not sure why that's relevant to the topic.
You can get into Canada as a bus driver mate. You need to be at the top of your game in some advanced field to get into the states.

When did you get your visa for the states?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
You can get into Canada as a bus driver mate. You need to be at the top of your game in some advanced field to get into the states.

When did you get your visa for the states?
Some time ago. And I'm not a bus driver, I'm at the top of my game.

Moreover I think you'll find bus drivers anyway aren't on the list of occupations in demand.

You?
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

You're an outsider to Canadians always are and always will be. They are very private of their housing circle and circle of friends.
In other words they didn't like you............
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
whilst in here NB we try to speak to people in the street etc. and they just ignore us (and each other, so we don't think it's personal!!) - it's the first place we've lived where we haven't got to know our neighbours.
You must be living in the village of the damned. I have lived in Moncton/Riverview and now Fredericton and have never experienced that.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Tangram
You must be living in the village of the damned. I have lived in Moncton/Riverview and now Fredericton and have never experienced that.
I experienced it a lot in Calgary. They will be nice to you but no one wants to know you. It's like their comfortable with their inner circle and don't want it changed. although I'm sure the states has similar elements but this was the big thing I noticed abut Canada.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:14 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Village of the Damned was the name of the film based on the Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham.

I've never understood why.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:15 am
Born again atheist

I experienced it a lot in Calgary. They will be nice to you but no one wants to know you. It's like their comfortable with their inner circle and don't want it changed. although I'm sure the states has similar elements but this was the big thing I noticed abut Canada.
Perhaps it's just you?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:18 am
Banned

Perhaps it was I don't know.

I'm studying mate.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:22 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it's just you?
Do not feed the trolls - it means that they win.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:24 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Alan2005
True enough. But one gets a bit bored on a Sunday evening when all you have to look forward to is teaching ingrates about quantum spectroscopy in the morning.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:27 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

True enough. But one gets a bit bored on a Sunday evening when all you have to look forward to is teaching ingrates about quantum spectroscopy in the morning.
Try software development with endless 'strokey beard' meetings.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:28 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

ah, then carry on. You've got to feel sorry for him living, as he does, in the land of fox news. I suppose it must make him feel really special to think he's got something we "can't have", even though we don't want it and haven't tried to get it. Sort of like a reverse fox and the grapes.

Last edited by Alan2005; Feb 28th 2011 at 1:31 am.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:30 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah, nobody can beat my Novo.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:32 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

ah, then carry on. You've got to feel sorry for him living, as he does, in the land of fox news. I suppose it must make him feel really special to think he's got something we "can't have", even though we don't want it and haven't tried to get it. Sort of like a reverse fox and the grapes.
Can't anyone get a student visa in the US?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.