Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The main day-to-day differences between Canada and The US

The main day-to-day differences between Canada and The US

Old Feb 27th 2011, 1:01 am
Reagent

lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice
Default Re: The main day-to-day differences between Canada and The US

Originally Posted by JB0591
@lgspoke, that made me laugh....I read it out to my wife and said bet they are Ontario based
Old Feb 27th 2011, 2:34 am
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Doesn't the first half of this post contradict the second?
No, it doesn't..
Old Feb 27th 2011, 2:51 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
I know of two totally unrelated American couples who always traveled with Canadian patches on their luggage & jackets..

They both explained they felt safer if any potential terrorists thought they were Canadian.

Perhaps that tells us more than you thought?

How many Canadians, or other folk who live here, worry about meeting "potential terrorists" on their travels abroad?

Except of course those Canadians traveling to America.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 2:57 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

No, it doesn't..
I think you'll find it does. If they didn't think that people hated them why would they want to hide their citizenship?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I think you'll find it does. If they didn't think that people hated them why would they want to hide their citizenship?
No, they do it because they are afraid of their own shadows. They believe everything the govt tells them.

Another difference is that here you have neighbours, in the US everyone outside family is a stranger.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 3:48 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobthedog
They believe everything the govt tells them.
You would seriously posit that as a difference between the US and Canada?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

Yes. Canadians tend to question it more, while the US accept it at face value.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:02 am
Banned

stealthninja is a jewel in the roughstealthninja is a jewel in the roughstealthninja is a jewel in the roughstealthninja is a jewel in the roughstealthninja is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I believe that that is a myth that Canadians spout to make themselves feel better.

I have never met an American that does not feel proud of their country or their flag. To suggest that they would swap it for the flag of a country they believe is inferior is ludicrous.
Actually it's not a myth, I got to know several Americans in London who had a maple leaf on their backpacks, back in the 80's and 90's. Likely because in general the Brits were not too fond of Americans, whereas Canadians were quite popular.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by bobthedog
Yes. Canadians tend to question it more, while the US accept it at face value.
hahaha,

no really.

hahahaha
Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:31 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

translated into various Arabic languages...
Now that is something I would expect an American to say.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 12:52 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any axe to grind & I certainly don't have "Let's bash the U.S. agenda"...

The vast majority of U.S. citizens do not travel abroad, or even own passports.. It stands to reason that the tiny percentage that do are likely to be less insular & more aware of the international mood with regards to the U.S....

I believed it was common knowledge that some U.S. travelers sewed (or at least used to sew) maple leaves onto their luggage.. I'll allow that working in Trafalgar Square for a number of years may have exposed me to more U.S. tourists that many..

Googling U.S Tourist + Maple Leaf, it seems the debate is still there. My examples are historic but they still happened nonetheless..

I care little enough as I am neither Canadian nor American.. I can't unknow these people for the sake of someone else's skewed world view..

As for the dig about "Arabic languages" I realise my comment would have been less likely to inflame the Interpedants had I initially written "In various languages employing the Arabic alphabet" but I thought my meaning was clear enough, if not as anal as some would prefer..
Well caught kimilseung, although "Now that is something I would expect an American to say." is an actual example of the very thing you are mistakenly accusing me of..
Old Feb 27th 2011, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

In the olden days before the USA worried about terrorists the Maple Leaf was worn on backpacks by Canadians who wanted people to know that they were Canadian and not American. If Americans wore it it was because they wanted people to think they were Canadian and so not offer the inflated prices usually offered to Amercians.

In my opinion and experience, no generalisation intended of course.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ctraveler
Canadians have a higher percentage of citizens with passports then Americans (and they use them)
Originally Posted by dbd33
Got a link for that? It seems extremely improbable.
I'm surprised you think that "extremely improbable." Those figures have been fairly common knowledge for years. The percentage of Americans with passports is relatively low for a developed country - although it used to be a lot lower.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 1:43 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Originally Posted by dbd33

Got a link for that? It seems extremely improbable.
http://www.theexpeditioner.com/2010/...-a-passport-2/
Old Feb 27th 2011, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave2009
Hi there,

This may seem like a bit of a silly question and i'm not sure that this is the right place to post it but what are the main day-to-day differences between life in the US and Canada?

The two both seem very similar in terms of landscape and infrastructure but so many Brits seems to be moving to Canada, is it that much better than the US?

Thanks
You need to be more specific since, as someone has already pointed out, life Vancouver is quite likely to be closer to life in Seattle than it is to, say, life in Halifax NS. The direct comparison I have is Toronto vs. New York and the things I'd pick out are:

1. healthcare - dealing with the US medical insurance industry is a nightmare. Seeing a doctor in Toronto is more or less the same experience as it is in the UK by comparison.
2. Toronto isn't quiet exactly but New York is busier by quite a margin.
3. It snows a lot more in Toronto than New York (although not more than in, say, Minneapolis, I expect).
4. Some, but not all, stuff is more expensive in Toronto.
5. Housing is way cheaper though (e.g. for the price of decent sized apartment in Manhattan you can buy a decent sized house in downtown Toronto). It's still not exactly cheap in an absolute sense though (and is lot pricier than many other American cities from what I can see).
6. There's much less rabid patriotism in Toronto - I suspect this is something that applies more generally across Canada.
7. On the whole there's less seggregation between different races, income groups and so on in Toronto than there is in New York. I'm not saying there isn't any (e.g. take a look at Rosedale) but it's nothing like as stark.
8. Employment conditions on the whole seem to be better in Canada. By that, there's a bit more employee protection, a bit more holiday and less insane working hours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.