Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mail on Sunday

Mail on Sunday

Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:05 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mail on Sunday

Originally Posted by Caitilin

I think our firemen, ambulance personel, police and soldiers are all undervalued. We need them. I may not agree with where the politicians care to send them, but the men and women who serve, kudos to you. My hats off.
Where do you stand on teachers, nurses, doctors?

What about lollipop persons, street sweepers, garbage collectors?

They all serve thanks to the public purse.

And, statistically, the most dangerous job in the world must have something to do with interacting with the driving public. Street cleaner, in downtown TO, or Vancouver, perhaps?

R.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

Blessed are the Meek for they shall inherit the earth!!

Respect and karma to all those who serve their fellow man in whatever capacity.
It is always easier to sit and criticise than walk in another mans shoes.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Where do you stand on teachers, nurses, doctors?

What about lollipop persons, street sweepers, garbage collectors?

They all serve thanks to the public purse.

And, statistically, the most dangerous job in the world must have something to do with interacting with the driving public. Street cleaner, in downtown TO, or Vancouver, perhaps?

R.
yes but as a rule they dont' get shot at or stabbed. Armed forces do. Police do. I've seen paramedics almost stabbed and I owe the firebrigade my life.

Even if you don't respect them - I do, so feel free to go mock someone else.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hydro lineman, offshore fisherman, independent logger, innit?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:10 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think I could have taken photos similar to these in London.

The first is DND HQ. The second is a Support the Troops fun run/walk. An awful lot of those people were not in the military. There were about 5,000, as I recall.
Attached Thumbnails Mail on Sunday-dscn0160.jpg   Mail on Sunday-dscn0167.jpg  
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir;
I don't think I could have taken photos similar to these in London.

The first is DND HQ. The second is a Support the Troops fun run/walk. An awful lot of those people were not in the military. There were about 5,000, as I recall.
When were those taken souv?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
When were those taken souv?
Last June. It was all part of a do put on to recognise the role of military families. It was a Friday. You see lots of red shirts in Ottawa on Fridays.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir;
Last June. It was all part of a do put on to recognise the role of military families. It was a Friday. You see lots of red shirts in Ottawa on Fridays.
Thanks. I only asked because several posters have suggested that support for the afghan mission has eroded between then and now. You think not, I take it?

On edit: there is of course a difference between support for the mission and support for the poor blighters stuck with carrying it out.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkG
While I agree with your opinion of Cameron, Brown is a sleaze-ball who will be lucky to last another month now his own party have realised what a liability he is. Amongst other things, this is the man who promised 'no more boom and bust' while presiding over the biggest credit bubble the UK has ever seen.

Back on the original topic, I think the big difference is that Canadians are allowed to proud of their country (and, by extension, the people who fight for it), whereas in Britain that's practically a 'hate crime'.
well said i feel proud of my counrty but dare not show it!!, its seems that you will offend some part of sociaty somehow!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:40 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

yes but as a rule they dont' get shot at or stabbed. Armed forces do. Police do. I've seen paramedics almost stabbed and I owe the firebrigade my life.

Oh purleease! It's a job/career thing isn't it, the military life. Most sign up for the adrenalin rush and the machismo (ever see a US marines recruitment ad ? Rad hardcore testosterone pumping "travel the world, play with big guns, shoot dusky faced peasants to death" stuff).

How many complain about being shot at AFTER they took the Kings Shilling.

And I'm not talking about conscripts in WW1 / WW2 BTW before you get all touchy and sanctimonious. Dying old boys who protected the Empire from evil is a bit different than the new way of the world. Unless, you believe that there were WMD's and that war's not all about oil and the NWO.

Respect the dead soldiers - but not war, in and of, itself.

R.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Thanks. I only asked because several posters have suggested that support for the afghan mission has eroded between then and now. You think not, I take it?

On edit: there is of course a difference between support for the mission and support for the poor blighters stuck with carrying it out.
You rightly make the distinction between support for the mission and support for the troops. I don't support the mission and never have. That probably puts me in the large majority. I do believe that, if you send people overseas to get shot at or blown up in order to maintain a country's foreign policy objectives, you should at least treat them with respect, or at least show some recognition. Canada seems to be more inclined to show such respect than does the UK. Public sentiment here is probably waning. That's probably normal because the novelty has worn off a bit. The cops and firefighters will likely remain staunch supporters (lots of them are in the reserves).

FYI, Harper tried to put a stop to the in-depth media coverage of repatriations. He was forced to back off by heavy pressure from the families and perhaps threats from Rick Mercer.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:00 pm

Oh purleease! It's a job/career thing isn't it, the military life. Most sign up for the adrenalin rush and the machismo (ever see a US marines recruitment ad ? Rad hardcore testosterone pumping "travel the world, play with big guns, shoot dusky faced peasants to death" stuff).

How many complain about being shot at AFTER they took the Kings Shilling.

And I'm not talking about conscripts in WW1 / WW2 BTW before you get all touchy and sanctimonious. Dying old boys who protected the Empire from evil is a bit different than the new way of the world. Unless, you believe that there were WMD's and that war's not all about oil and the NWO.

Respect the dead soldiers - but not war, in and of, itself.

R.

When Canada agreed to send troops to Afghanistan it was still a UN mission, something the CF had been doing for decades (ie stopping dusky faced peasants from killing each other). Most of the Canadian Forces probably joined up when that was Canada's role. It's not their fault someone moved the goalposts.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Well hope it never happens but after a day of abuse from some of the kids today, i do worry about the future........and what was i doing that was annoying them? ...........chasing coursework!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:08 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Souv!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:10 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Souvenir

FYI, Harper tried to put a stop to the in-depth media coverage of repatriations. He was forced to back off by heavy pressure from the families and perhaps threats from Rick Mercer.
Yes. Nasty piece of work Harper.

I see Rick Hillier has announced he's quitting as boss in July. Nothing to do wth the fact that he said last week that it was clear in 2006 that more NATO troops were needed in Khandahar, I suppose. That was before Harper blackmailed Parliament into extending the mission until 2009.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Apr 15th 2008 at 10:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.