Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Location advice

Location advice

Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:20 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location advice

Small towns don't have a couple of good restaurants. Normally they have a fast food place and a local cafe!!!!! you definitely need access to a city if you want that sort of thing.

Hmmm motorcross??? Lots of people i know have dirt bikes but they take them out into the boonies with friends for weekends and ride there (which means you will need a trailer!)

Get quads or sleds, you'll have more scope for that rush of adreniline!
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried using Google Street View at any of the communities you're researching?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Have you tried using Google Street View at any of the communities you're researching?
The fact that there is no streetview of Labrador City or FtMac probably illustrates their remoteness anyway
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The fact that there is no streetview of Labrador City or FtMac probably illustrates their remoteness anyway
Precisely.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
$100k is a comfortable salary in most of Canada. Well above average in most places.

International travel might eat a chunk of that though if and when you have a family, I cant afford to take family trips back to the UK nearly as often as I would like now there are 4 of us, but then we dont make $100k either and live fairly comfortably other than that.

Running cars is an expensive business here, insurance and high milages covered all add up, and living out of town two cars are close to essential.
Good points

So just how expensive is insurance? Where I live in the UK insurance has always been ridiculous - I once was quoted £7200 on a car worth £4000 after I wrote the previous car off

And what price is fuel over there?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Yeah, but as iaink has already pointed out its not possible to view all the areas
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

What way does health service work in Canada? Is it a state run effort or does each individual take out a private insurance policy?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Small towns don't have a couple of good restaurants. Normally they have a fast food place and a local cafe!!!!! you definitely need access to a city if you want that sort of thing.

Hmmm motorcross??? Lots of people i know have dirt bikes but they take them out into the boonies with friends for weekends and ride there (which means you will need a trailer!)

Get quads or sleds, you'll have more scope for that rush of adreniline!
Surely Labrador would have some restaurants? I understand that the smaller towns might be lacking

Can I ask what "boonies" are? In the UK I have a car (which wifey drives 95% of the time) and a van (which I use for everything including work) - I would probably hope to have a similar setup in Canada

I`ve been watching snowmobiles on you tube tonight and it looks cool - just as well if Labrador is as cold and snowy as some have suggested!
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Good points

So just how expensive is insurance? Where I live in the UK insurance has always been ridiculous - I once was quoted £7200 on a car worth £4000 after I wrote the previous car off

And what price is fuel over there?
What way does health service work in Canada? Is it a state run effort or does each individual take out a private insurance policy?
Healthcare has a wiki and numerous threads on it out there, so probably best not to sidetrack this thread. Basically each province has its own mandatory insurance that covers the basics, but not generally prescription drugs or dental. Many (not all) employers offer insurace benefits to fill the gaps. Each province is a little different, and there is basically nothing like BUPA to go around the provincial care, unless you are wealthy enough to go to the States and pay your way there (insurance to cover that is not permitted under Canadian law)

Many threads on car insurance too.

Gas in civilisation is about $1.20-$1.30 a litre. You can probably google sites that have prices in the back of beyond.

Car insurance here is a total rip off. Ive 14 years of no claims here and still pay over a grand a year. New drivers with no track record (and no claims) routinely pay three or four times that. I was reading a Cdn driving magasine that had insurance quotes for the cars it was reviewing for 3 types of drivers... the cheapest quote for the 19year old with 2 clean years was about $7k on some entry level Kia! At the high end they were being quoited $37k a year for insurance on a $50k mercedes!

Most newcomers are happy to get change out of $4k it seems...

I dont get snowmobiling myself, just looks like a way to go deaf and get accelerated frostbite at the same time. Here in SE Ontario the snowfall coverage has become so unpredictable many years my neighbours only get out a couple of times locally anyway, the rest of the time that have to tow north to find trails. They all have ATVs now, fun regardless of whats on the ground, and usefull to plow the driveway too when it does snow.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 23rd 2012 at 8:14 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Surely Labrador would have some restaurants? I understand that the smaller towns might be lacking
http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/...brador+City+NL
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here's a blog post (published mere weeks ago) about the road to Labrador City (including petrol prices):

http://cesarabeid.com/footage-labrador-city-drive/

Here's another person's first impression of Labrador City (published this past June):

http://www.notyouraverageroadtrip.co...rans-labrador/
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

On the subject of the trans labrador highway, thats where this pic was originally taken...

Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:03 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Should IOC offer you a job, I strongly urge you to visit Lab City prior to signing on the dotted line. It is very much small town Canada, with the added pressure of a resource boom. I imagine it is isolated (although, unlike the island portion of Newfoundland and Labrador, one can at least drive to the rest of Canada/US) and expensive to travel to and from. Summers will be hot but short, winters will be long and cold.

A few useful websites:
http://www.labradorwest.com/default....angeSite&sid=1
http://www.theaurora.ca/
http://www.newlabrealty.com/

AX
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:49 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Boonies - out in the bush in the middle of nowehere! In Canada if you want toys such as bikes / sleds / quads you will likely be swapping your van for a pick up, and the wife will decide she might want an SUV!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:26 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to take into consideration how far from a hospital these towns are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.