Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Location advice

Location advice

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location advice

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
here are my opinions based on what I know - any left blank are because I don't know the area
Sorry but all I can see is my original list with NO opinions - am I missing something or dont you know any of the areas?
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:42 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Sorry but all I can see is my original list with NO opinions - am I missing something or dont you know any of the areas?
hahaha just edited it - for some reason I tabbed and it posted!!!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:43 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes - I was expecting them to be expensive and they didn`t disappoint!

How do these prices compare to the rest of Canada, particularly non mining/oil areas that are susceptible to the boom/bust phenomenon?

I still haven`t talked money with any of the potential employers but with rents so high the remuneration would need to be pretty good
By way of comparison...
My area is pretty average, maybe on the cheap side for inhabited parts of Ontario
http://belleville.kijiji.ca/f-real-e...l-W0QQCatIdZ43

Average household income around here is maybe $70-75k

Thats crazy, I cant see how that can work - when the relationship between income and property prices becomes so distorted a "correction" to some degree seems inevitable
So people keep saying, but its not happened yet...
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:46 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Stettler is a small town, the people who live in it are not well off (think "people of Walmart" website). The money people out here are the farmers or those that have acreages out of town. (The only reason I'm saying that is that I presume you don't want to move your family to what is in essence a big trailer park lol) so the families that aren't hooked on alcohol / drugs tend to be the ones that can buy land outside of town - but that is an issue for integrating because you will have no neighbours or community to hang out with!. Theres a very small new subdivision but I don't think it would offer a family what they would want.

I've said it before that if I had the absolute choice should I ever have to move to a town / city - then it would be Camrose absolutely hands down.

Clean city, great facilities, nice houses and within driving distance of Edmonton / The Rockies and everything you could ever want.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Ah, I get it.

There have been occasional posts from people living in Ft Mac that say its not that bad, but the majority opinion seems to be that the effect of lots of single men (or at least lots of men working away from home), plus lots of money, plus limited time off the camp makes for a wild west frontier feel, fueled by alcohol and other stimulants, so maybe not the most family friendly place in Canada.

I dont recall anyone posting about Labrador... it seems smaller scale?
Luckily I dont drink (well as close as makes no difference) - by other stimulants I assume you mean drugs? (Not my bag at all I`m glad to say)

Rio lead me to believe that I would be living in Labrador and its a family orientated place with around 10,000 people - the guy I was speaking with actually grew up there and spoke very highly of it

If thats true then the only question mark is how expensive is it to live there and do the wages justify the expense
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

hahaha just edited it - for some reason I tabbed and it posted!!!!!

You had me confused there.....!

I shall be consulting that list when making my decisions - thanks for that
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

By way of comparison...
My area is pretty average, maybe on the cheap side for inhabited parts of Ontario
http://belleville.kijiji.ca/f-real-e...l-W0QQCatIdZ43

Average household income around here is maybe $70-75k

So people keep saying, but its not happened yet...
That was a real eye opener - perhaps I`m reading it wrong but rents are around a third of the price - question is are wages three times higher in the resources rich areas?
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stettler is a small town, the people who live in it are not well off (think "people of Walmart" website). The money people out here are the farmers or those that have acreages out of town. (The only reason I'm saying that is that I presume you don't want to move your family to what is in essence a big trailer park lol) so the families that aren't hooked on alcohol / drugs tend to be the ones that can buy land outside of town - but that is an issue for integrating because you will have no neighbours or community to hang out with!. Theres a very small new subdivision but I don't think it would offer a family what they would want.

I've said it before that if I had the absolute choice should I ever have to move to a town / city - then it would be Camrose absolutely hands down.

Clean city, great facilities, nice houses and within driving distance of Edmonton / The Rockies and everything you could ever want.
Good points, I lived in the country most of my life and would prefer that but would consider a small town

I`m gonna have a look at Camrose - thanks for the pointer
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:08 pm
Sawdust making harpy

I don't know if you will be able to see this but a few years back I took a drive into town and took photos along the way

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=9f9b916fc3

pictures 8 and 10 are where I presume the company is that you could be working for.

It will gove you a good idea of what 'small' town Alberta looks like
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:10 pm
Collector of Junk!

missieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud of

Ok, heres the choice:

Fort Nelson
Rainbow lake
Fort ST John
Dawson Creek
Peace River
Fort McMurray
Grande Prairie
Valleyview
Athabasca
Barrhead
Bonnyville
Whitecourt
Edson
Edmonton
Nisku
Camrose
Hinton
Drayton Valley
Lloydminster
Stettler
Rocky MTN House
Red Deer
Provost
Drumheller
Kindersley
Calgary
Brooks
Medicine hat
Swift Current
Taber
Shaunavon
Estevan

Not sure if they`re all on offer but this is where the offices are located - the company is Tarpon energy
From my limited experience... Kindersley approx rent for a 3 bed SMALL House is 2k per month, Estevan is not much better (and is pretty racey!!!). When the oil and gas moves in, prices to up! If you're going on your own ul be ok, but if not, ul find it VERY hard to find somewhere to live in these two!
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I dont recall anyone posting about Labrador... it seems smaller scale?

There was one, petesdragon IIRC. He moved there with his wife to be near her family in Labrador City.

Checking, he hasn't posted since January when I delicately suggested he was off his head. Either he took umbrage or he froze to death soon after. But if it wasn't the latter and he still lurks now and again, a PM from the OP might get a response.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by missieleah
From my limited experience... Kindersley approx rent for a 3 bed SMALL House is 2k per month, Estevan is not much better (and is pretty racey!!!). When the oil and gas moves in, prices to up! If you're going on your own ul be ok, but if not, ul find it VERY hard to find somewhere to live in these two!
Unfortunately I`m not (wifey in tow)

Doesnt oil and gas wages offset the premium prices or is that a myth?

I mean theres no point in taking an oil/gas job which pays say $20K more per year than a normal job if it costs $30K more to live per year
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
There was one, petesdragon IIRC. He moved there with his wife to be near her family in Labrador City.

Checking, he hasn't posted since January when I delicately suggested he was off his head. Either he took umbrage or he froze to death soon after. But if it wasn't the latter and he still lurks now and again, a PM from the OP might get a response.
Ill try PMing him, its worth a whirl

Does anyone know what line of work he was in?
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't know if you will be able to see this but a few years back I took a drive into town and took photos along the way

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=9f9b916fc3

pictures 8 and 10 are where I presume the company is that you could be working for.

It will gove you a good idea of what 'small' town Alberta looks like
I can see them fine - thanks for that

How far is what would be considered a "large" town? ie something with a cinema?
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:25 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Unfortunately I`m not (wifey in tow)

Doesnt oil and gas wages offset the premium prices or is that a myth?

I mean theres no point in taking an oil/gas job which pays say $20K more per year than a normal job if it costs $30K more to live per year
If you don't mind travelling then the wages in the industry afford you the best of both worlds.

Somewhere like fort Mac is a law unto itself anyway.

A lot of people certainly that i know - travel / fly in to job sites and live somewhere central. BUT all that said the big money is in the remote sites - there's really only Fort Mac that I know of that has the money living and working there. Hence why the prices are stupid.

It all seems very dauning to weigh up what the best course of action to take is - for both family and standard of living, but that's what we're here for

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.