Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Location advice

Location advice

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location advice

Originally Posted by dbd33
If it's anywhere half-way civilized, yes, if it's a camp out of Fort McMoney then maybe not.
Sorry, to clarify, are you saying that Alberta is pretty desirable except for Fort McMurray (I assume thats where you mean)

So is there decent cash to be had at McMurray? Is it Fly in Fly out?
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Aren't all of those places Canada's top holiday destinations?

I'd pick the place that pays the most amount of money, get there, work and then figure out where you would like to get transfered to.
I have to agree with those sentiments, step one is to find an opportunity to make some cash which will give me some options in the future, I`m at a point in my life where I can do that but in the future I expect my goals to shift as family (hopefully) comes along
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
One imagines that work in Labrador would be on one of the iron ore mines. Could be fly in fly out, or could be living in Wabush/Lab City. I believe they are favouring the latter these days. Anyway, cost of living very high, availability of accomodation poor, travel expensive, all the problems faced in a booming resource town. The same problems as one would encounter in Fort Mac I would imagine.

Labrador is starkly beautiful they tell me. So is Newfoundland (the Island portion of the province), but with more in the way of facilities and people, depending upon where you live.

Who is recruiting you?
Yep, Labrador is Iron Ore for Rio

It isnt fly in fly out (they seem to pride themselves on that point) which both myself and my wife are happy about even if it isnt the most desirable spot in the world

Hopefully I can put my head down and make some cash which will give us options in the future, it also cant hurt to be involved with a big player like Rio as they have operations all over

Can anyone quantify how expensive it is to live there? Obviously this needs to be factored in to any decision after all theres no point in earning extra cash just to have it eaten up by inflated cost of living
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Labrador property rentals...

http://labrador.kijiji.ca/f-real-est...cationZ1700046

Ft McMoney rentals
http://fortmcmurray.kijiji.ca/f-real...l-W0QQCatIdZ43
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
My guess is that anyone recruiting from the UK is offering work in the more remote parts of the country, where accomodation is expensive and mod cons few and far between.

Most people put up with it for the money.

Go far enough north and wet is not an issue. All humidity tends to fall out of the frozen air. The bugs on the otherhand when its not totally freezing
I would guess you are correct, any ideas on where I can find out costs of property to rent or purchase, which leads me on to my next question - what is the current state of the housing market in Canada (in general)

Is it going up or down? Ive just witnessed the rapid rise and fall of the housing market in the UK (Australia seems to be shaping up the same way) and would like to ensure that I make an informed choice when I do move

So does the north get any summer/sun/heat?
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
I would guess you are correct, any ideas on where I can find out costs of property to rent or purchase, which leads me on to my next question - what is the current state of the housing market in Canada (in general)

Is it going up or down? Ive just witnessed the rapid rise and fall of the housing market in the UK (Australia seems to be shaping up the same way) and would like to ensure that I make an informed choice when I do move

Canada is VAST, there is no such thing as a Canadian anything, even within provinces (which are also vast) there are hot spots and not spots.

Mining/ natural resource towns are boom and bust, when they are booming prices are high and get higher, but when they bust you cant give a property away.

To put provinces in perspective, Ontario is larger than France and Spain combined.

There are several threads active about the housing bubble and how likely it is to burst, but generally they are wrt Vancouver or Toronto.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hawk13
So is Regina, especially for sparks
Do you happen to know what type of work is on offer? ie oil/mining/construction

My understanding is that Canada is crying out for industrial electricians so thats why Ive been focussing on mining and resources, generally those areas pay well so thats a good start
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Not nearly as much as it has winter...

There is a reason the majority of residents are there for the money and nothing else.

In terms of somewhere you are likely to meet someone to settle down and start a family with goes, there are probably better places.

my bosses son works in FtMac, he flies home every two or three weeks to the house he bought in Ontario with cash earned in the last 4 or 5 years. She drives his new hemi truck around. I think he has another one out there too. I get the impression though that living independent of the work camps is hideously expensive. You put up with the camps in order to squirrel away some money.

The money is good, thats the bottom line.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 22nd 2012 at 7:59 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada is VAST, there is no such thing as a Canadian anything, even within provinces (which are also vast) there are hot spots and not spots.

Mining/ natural resource towns are boom and bust, when they are booming prices are high and get higher, but when they bust you cant give a property away.

To put provinces in perspective, Ontario is larger than France and Spain combined.

There are several threads active about the housing bubble and how likely it is to burst, but generally they are wrt Vancouver or Toronto.
Point taken, I guess living in the UK doesnt give you a good perspective of such vastness

So is Vancouver at risk of a housing crash? Am I correct in saying it doesnt have resources to prop it up like Alberta/Labrador etc? Strangely from what Ive heard Vancouver or somewhere in that area of BC would be my choice to live if I werent chasing the cash as it sounds nice and I imagine would have a good climate (hot summers for outdoors stuff and snowy winters for skiing etc)
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not nearly as much as it has winter...

There is a reason the majority of residents are there for the money and nothing else.

In terms of somewhere you are likely to meet someone to settle down and start a family with goes, there are probably better places.

my bosses son works in FtMac, he flies home every two or three weeks to the house he bought in Ontario with cash earned in the last 4 or 5 years. She drives his new hemi truck around. I think he has another one out there too. I get the impression though that living independent of the work camps is hideously expensive. You put up with the camps in order to squirrel away some money.

The money is good, thats the bottom line.
Sorry if I was unclear, I`m already married and my wife will be making the move with me, thats why I would prefer to be based locally and be home every night

I`m determined to aim high - I`ve been living through the UK recession since 2007 and I`ve had enough

Thanks for the help BTW
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Point taken, I guess living in the UK doesnt give you a good perspective of such vastness

So is Vancouver at risk of a housing crash? Am I correct in saying it doesnt have resources to prop it up like Alberta/Labrador etc? Strangely from what Ive heard Vancouver or somewhere in that area of BC would be my choice to live if I werent chasing the cash as it sounds nice and I imagine would have a good climate (hot summers for outdoors stuff and snowy winters for skiing etc)
Vancouvers natural resource is wealthy Chinese immigrants.... property prices there are something like 10 times the average working stiffs income
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Sorry if I was unclear, I`m already married and my wife will be making the move with me, thats why I would prefer to be based locally and be home every night

I`m determined to aim high - I`ve been living through the UK recession since 2007 and I`ve had enough

Thanks for the help BTW
Ah, I get it.

There have been occasional posts from people living in Ft Mac that say its not that bad, but the majority opinion seems to be that the effect of lots of single men (or at least lots of men working away from home), plus lots of money, plus limited time off the camp makes for a wild west frontier feel, fueled by alcohol and other stimulants, so maybe not the most family friendly place in Canada.

I dont recall anyone posting about Labrador... it seems smaller scale?
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yikes - I was expecting them to be expensive and they didn`t disappoint!

How do these prices compare to the rest of Canada, particularly non mining/oil areas that are susceptible to the boom/bust phenomenon?

I still haven`t talked money with any of the potential employers but with rents so high the remuneration would need to be pretty good
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:36 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, heres the choice:

Fort Nelson
Rainbow lake
Fort ST John
Dawson Creek
Peace River REMOTE
Fort McMurray NOT NICE APPARENTLY AND EXPENSIVE
Grande Prairie REMOTE
Valleyview
Athabasca LOTS OF OIL WORK
Barrhead
Bonnyville REMOTE
Whitecourt DOABLE
Edson DOABLE
Edmonton GOOD BET
Nisku OIL COMPANY CENTRAL
Camrose LOOOOVE CAMROSE
Hinton DOABLE
Drayton Valley DOABLE
Lloydminster HORRIBLE
Stettler I LIVE HERE
Rocky MTN House PRETTY SCENERY NOT MUCH FOR FAMILIES
Red Deer GOOD CHOICE
Provost A WAYS OUT NEAR THE SASK BORDER AND VERY SMALL TOWN
Drumheller DOABLE
Kindersley
Calgary A SAFE BET
Brooks NOT MY FAVE CHOICE BIG MEAT PACKING PLANT AND SEASONAL IMMIGRANT WORKERS
Medicine hat DOABLE
Swift Current
Taber
Shaunavon
Estevan

Not sure if they`re all on offer but this is where the offices are located - the company is Tarpon energy
here are my opinions based on what I know - any left blank are because I don't know the area

Last edited by mandymoochops; Oct 22nd 2012 at 8:41 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vancouvers natural resource is wealthy Chinese immigrants.... property prices there are something like 10 times the average working stiffs income
Thats crazy, I cant see how that can work - when the relationship between income and property prices becomes so distorted a "correction" to some degree seems inevitable

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.