Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Location advice

Location advice

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location advice

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Ill try PMing him, its worth a whirl

Does anyone know what line of work he was in?
You can look at his previous posts, which may say. He hasn't been on the forum since early August, so may not see your PM btw.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:30 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I can see them fine - thanks for that

How far is what would be considered a "large" town? ie something with a cinema?
Stettler has a cinema and a population of around 5000. I'd still strictly speaking call Camrose a large town with a population of I believe around 17000.

Drumheller and all the other 'small' towns are about the same in size and looks as Stettler.

Anything smaller than 5000 I think you'd be struggling with a family for 'nipping' to the shops for stuff etc. Though I will add it is absolutely doable as long as you are within driving distance (an hour maybe) of something bigger)
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ill try PMing him, its worth a whirl

Does anyone know what line of work he was in?
Sorry, I don't recall. As I said he moved there for family reasons.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
If you don't mind travelling then the wages in the industry afford you the best of both worlds.

Somewhere like fort Mac is a law unto itself anyway.

A lot of people certainly that i know - travel / fly in to job sites and live somewhere central. BUT all that said the big money is in the remote sites - there's really only Fort Mac that I know of that has the money living and working there. Hence why the prices are stupid.

It all seems very dauning to weigh up what the best course of action to take is - for both family and standard of living, but that's what we're here for
I could not agree more and the help thus far has been outstanding

I could/would do fly in/fly out although I would prefer not to - its all a question of whether or not its worth it financially and unfortunately I havent got to the point where either company are talking salary figures

For me though I doubt it'll be long term for when my family starts to grow I dont wanna miss out on my kids growing up
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can look at his previous posts, which may say. He hasn't been on the forum since early August, so may not see your PM btw.
I`m working my way through them - great minds eh?
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stettler has a cinema and a population of around 5000. I'd still strictly speaking call Camrose a large town with a population of I believe around 17000.

Drumheller and all the other 'small' towns are about the same in size and looks as Stettler.

Anything smaller than 5000 I think you'd be struggling with a family for 'nipping' to the shops for stuff etc. Though I will add it is absolutely doable as long as you are within driving distance (an hour maybe) of something bigger)
Where I currently live has 3 towns within 10 minutes - one has ~9000 people, one has ~1500 people and the last one is ~26,000 so that would be fine
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 10:29 pm
Collector of Junk!

missieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud of

Unfortunately I`m not (wifey in tow)

Doesnt oil and gas wages offset the premium prices or is that a myth?

I mean theres no point in taking an oil/gas job which pays say $20K more per year than a normal job if it costs $30K more to live per year
sometimes, you've just got to work out how much you'll have after provincial and federal taxes are taken out, cost of living in the specific area or if you going to do an in/out 2/3 weeks, will accom. be provided and if so, can you live somewhere where your wife will be happy living while your stuck underground?? Dont forget to take into consideration the cost of utilities into your budget, which I think are a lot more expensive, averaging approx 400/600 per month (for 10 months), 2 cars, car insurance seems to be expensive everywhere apart from Saskatchewan, possibilities of getting permanent residency through PNP programs as every Province is different and has different educational and settlement requirements... a lot to take in before you make the big "Decision".. Then, I guess there's the important things that you haven't asked....

1. What kind of a life do you lead?
2. What kind of a life do you want to live?
3. Do you want to be a city or small town?
4. Do you want to get involved in outdoor activities?
5. Do you like to drive 100kms to your nearest Walmart?
6. Do you want to drive or want to walk/bus/train everywhere?

These, I think, are what should guide you in your decision to choose where to go, if possible. Obviously, if you're being offered oddles of money to go somewhere that on Yeti's live, then that's fine if it suits you, but just make sure you dont turn into one of them!! :-)
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by missieleah
sometimes, you've just got to work out how much you'll have after provincial and federal taxes are taken out, cost of living in the specific area or if you going to do an in/out 2/3 weeks, will accom. be provided and if so, can you live somewhere where your wife will be happy living while your stuck underground?? Dont forget to take into consideration the cost of utilities into your budget, which I think are a lot more expensive, averaging approx 400/600 per month (for 10 months), 2 cars, car insurance seems to be expensive everywhere apart from Saskatchewan, possibilities of getting permanent residency through PNP programs as every Province is different and has different educational and settlement requirements... a lot to take in before you make the big "Decision".. Then, I guess there's the important things that you haven't asked....

1. What kind of a life do you lead?
2. What kind of a life do you want to live?
3. Do you want to be a city or small town?
4. Do you want to get involved in outdoor activities?
5. Do you like to drive 100kms to your nearest Walmart?
6. Do you want to drive or want to walk/bus/train everywhere?

These, I think, are what should guide you in your decision to choose where to go, if possible. Obviously, if you're being offered oddles of money to go somewhere that on Yeti's live, then that's fine if it suits you, but just make sure you dont turn into one of them!! :-)
Indeed, I`m trying to build an accurate picture of the day to day costs so I can do just that, really I need to find out what potential incomes may be from each offer although its generally frowned upon to ask such questions as this stage, or is it different in Canada?

To answer your questions:

1) I`m unsure what you are referring to, we dont live "big" in the UK (just as well because the economy here wouldnt allow it right now), I enjoy sports (particularly motorsports) and like the outdoors and enjoy the company of friends (which will be the hardest part of the move)

2) I`m happy to put my head down and earn some cash for a bit, I would like some summer sun which would offset a cold winter (skiing would be nice), basically I dont expect to live like a king but I dont wanna live in a total wilderness

3) Small town - so long as I can get what I require from the shops then I`m happy (even if it means driving a hour to a bigger town or city every once in a while to get some stuff). A good restaurant or two and a cinema would be nice (the usual stuff)

4) Very much so - any form of water sports (provided it gets warm enough to do it properly) or motorsports would be wonderful and skiing in the winter would be sweet

5) Could probably suffer it provided the more local towns had enough choice to only have to make the trip for more obscure items once a week or so. We live around 100 KMs from our main city now

6) Drive - definitely
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 11:27 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Where I currently live has 3 towns within 10 minutes - one has ~9000 people, one has ~1500 people and the last one is ~26,000 so that would be fine
Just so you know, there is not anywhere in Alberta (aside from the big cities) where you get three large towns within a ten minute drive and if you think the amenities would be on par with a UK city/town then think again. What motorsports is it you like as that is rare here too.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Just so you know, there is not anywhere in Alberta (aside from the big cities) where you get three large towns within a ten minute drive and if you think the amenities would be on par with a UK city/town then think again. What motorsports is it you like as that is rare here too.
Motorcycles of all types but motocross in particular - I imagine theres lots of scope in Canada
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 1:03 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

In Canada the distances between places run you a lot longer than 10 mins away! It is normal to 'nip' somewhere which is a couple hours away!
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 1:30 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Motorcycles of all types but motocross in particular - I imagine theres lots of scope in Canada
I don't think so. I suspect that if you end up in Labrador City the best you could hope for is snowmobiling 11 and a half months a year.

But seriously though. Until you find out what your pay might be, this is all academic. $100K sounds a lot to many on here but I'd be thinking twice to three times that to make it worthwhile.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Canada the distances between places run you a lot longer than 10 mins away! It is normal to 'nip' somewhere which is a couple hours away!
Yeah, good point - I imagine I`ll adjust
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't think so. I suspect that if you end up in Labrador City the best you could hope for is snowmobiling 11 and a half months a year.

But seriously though. Until you find out what your pay might be, this is all academic. $100K sounds a lot to many on here but I'd be thinking twice to three times that to make it worthwhile.
Snowmobiling sounds like fun! Does Labrador not get any summer? Or does summer just mean less snow?

Good point about the pay - it really is all academic until I find out what they`re offering and weight that up against the cost of living in whatever locality I will be living

So, for "normal" non boomtown areas would $100,000/year (for example) allow a decent standard of living? (ie pay mortgage/rent, run a car, pay the usual bills and save a bit)

Whats typical/acceptable?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:09 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Snowmobiling sounds like fun! Does Labrador not get any summer? Or does summer just mean less snow?

Good point about the pay - it really is all academic until I find out what they`re offering and weight that up against the cost of living in whatever locality I will be living

So, for "normal" non boomtown areas would $100,000/year (for example) allow a decent standard of living? (ie pay mortgage/rent, run a car, pay the usual bills and save a bit)

Whats typical/acceptable?
$100k is a comfortable salary in most of Canada. Well above average in most places.

International travel might eat a chunk of that though if and when you have a family, I cant afford to take family trips back to the UK nearly as often as I would like now there are 4 of us, but then we dont make $100k either and live fairly comfortably other than that.

We would have a lot more disposable income if we rented rather than owned I suppose, although home ownership is an investment of sorts... maybe, maybe not...

Running cars is an expensive business here, insurance and high milages covered all add up, and living out of town two cars are close to essential.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 23rd 2012 at 7:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.