Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:58 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Phhtttt! My post was not meant to insult anyone ..... well maybe just a little

There is nothing wrong with quantity so long as there is some semblance of quality.... of anything.

... of life? Well I won't drag you down by explaining exactly the type of people I mean, (working in Seniors Healthcare).

re Sense of humour differences: When we went to pick up our super-dooper new whirlpool bath-tub this week, and it was eventually brought to the front with some difficulty by two large Canadian male types, it was in a box about 8 foot by 5 foot, 30' or so deep, on a big trolley.

I looked at this, scratched my head, and muttered "I wonder how that is going to fit in my Smart car.......
The bigger guy stared at me, looking worried: "Are you serious??" he asked.

"err, no." said I. "I'm not serious"

We hung around waiting for my builder-guy who'd got distracted by some paint. (Never take a man into Home Depot and expect him to remain focussed).

Then after a while the guy said to me, "So what's it going into then?"
I stared at him .... "Well, a bathroom, of course!"

I then had to excuse myself, for being English!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:04 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Phhtttt! My post was not meant to insult anyone ..... well maybe just a little

There is nothing wrong with quantity so long as there is some semblance of quality.... of anything.

... of life? Well I won't drag you down by explaining exactly the type of people I mean, (working in Seniors Healthcare).

re Sense of humour differences: When we went to pick up our super-dooper new whirlpool bath-tub this week, and it was eventually brought to the front with some difficulty by two large Canadian male types, it was in a box about 8 foot by 5 foot, 30' or so deep, on a big trolley.

I looked at this, scratched my head, and muttered "I wonder how that is going to fit in my Smart car.......
The bigger guy stared at me, looking worried: "Are you serious??" he asked.

"err, no." said I. "I'm not serious"

We hung around waiting for my builder-guy who'd got distracted by some paint. (Never take a man into Home Depot and expect him to remain focussed).

Then after a while the guy said to me, "So what's it going into then?"
I stared at him .... "Well, a bathroom, of course!"

I then had to excuse myself, for being English!
Oh no! The horrors of DIY + men... I'm sure its one of those compounding equations like trying to figure out the final number of Pi!

*looks around* nope, no quality here, just us wannabe members *nudges Printer* right mate?

The nice part is, every so often you meet a Canadian who might actually know the meaning of "dry/sarcastic" humour, it isn't every day, but it happens a whole hell of alot more then it ever happened with me with Yanks! (apologies to any Yanks reading this as I know how PC they all are... or the other extreme )
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:07 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

And while you all are reading this thread... can anyone tell me why my blue boxes outnumber my little yellow (orange?) stars and wtf it means?

Oh and also... why the hell it is that I see what LOOK to me like mosquitoes flying around, I sure as hell have bumps on my skin from insect bites every year... but my Northern English partner swears up and down that there are no mossies in our area?! WTF is that all about?! No mossies in North West England?? Why oh WHY do I see them and have big red bumps on my skin every year then?!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:11 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

The blue boxes are "karma" that folks have sent you (sign of approbation), and I think the gold stars are to do with the number of posts you have made.

Obviously your quality is FAR greater than your quantity. Well done!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:17 am
Senile Member

The blue boxes are "karma" that folks have sent you (sign of approbation), and I think the gold stars are to do with the number of posts you have made.

Obviously your quality is FAR greater than your quantity. Well done!
Fan bloomin tastic!! Finally an answer after my weeks of pondering... THANK YOU MO.. gonna try & send you some Karma now for that!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:42 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
dont throw tar and feathers on a pig and call it turkey, it's still a hog at the end of the day.
Call it a hurkey and be done with the foul critter.

Rich.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:44 am
Senile Member

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Call it a hurkey and be done with the foul critter.

Rich.
LOL!!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

tom5sk is on a distinguished road

And while you all are reading this thread... can anyone tell me why my blue boxes outnumber my little yellow (orange?) stars and wtf it means?

Oh and also... why the hell it is that I see what LOOK to me like mosquitoes flying around, I sure as hell have bumps on my skin from insect bites every year... but my Northern English partner swears up and down that there are no mossies in our area?! WTF is that all about?! No mossies in North West England?? Why oh WHY do I see them and have big red bumps on my skin every year then?!
Think of the little blighters (I am not sure they what they- i noticed a nice category system on the weather network for canada showing lots of different types of biting insects) as discerning eaters. i am tough old boot so when they have a choice i.e. me or the the other half she gets it. It may be the way we all smell different to insects.

I find the only time i get it is during the feeding frenzy on the south coast at dusk in summer when you get up with large welts of bumps

Last edited by tom5sk; Nov 25th 2006 at 6:43 am.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 12:23 pm
Senile Member

Originally Posted by tom5sk
Think of the little blighters (I am not sure they what they- i noticed a nice category system on the weather network for canada showing lots of different types of biting insects) as discerning eaters. i am tough old boot so when they have a choice i.e. me or the the other half she gets it. It may be the way we all smell different to insects.

I find the only time i get it is during the feeding frenzy on the south coast at dusk in summer when you get up with large welts of bumps
Think it has something to do with the perfumed products women wear too.. men are more sweaty/smelly au naturale, mossies prefer a floraly fragrant chomp over that... or thats what I was told by many an ex who escaped with not a bite after I'd recieved a nice colection of itchy bumps... also something to do with the carbon-monoxide we (and animals) exhale is a signal/lure to the mossies.. so if we stopped breathing and dont put on perfume we should be safe *lol*
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

As another Canadian living in the UK on a Visa I can relate to what she's saying... BUT, I happen to like the UK, lots of positives to living here.. the fabulously dry and sarcastic sense of humour so few Canadians (especially Torontonians judging from my in-laws there) seem to 'get'... the fabulous nightlife and social attitude people have here to one another. The fact that your a £100 return flight ticket away from most all of Europe you might possibly want to visit. OK and the amazing Indian food too... had to mention that as my OH was looking over my shoulder and said "What about our kebabs!"... yes granted the curries here are far more readily avaidable & tasty then those back in Montreal.

I think the point is, there will always be things that each individual finds "better" in each different country. You can take the same person, plop them in 5 different countries around the globe and they will find things 'worse' then home about all 5 different countries... some people sadly only discover the hard way that they were not meant to immigrate. They are not able to overcome the strange and unfamiliar, they are the ones who lament ever having left home (not talking about normal homesickness that 90% of immigrants get including myself!) and should remain in their home country surrounded by familar sights/sounds and things they DO 'get'.

I don't think its exclusive of British or Canadian people, I think it crosses all countries and age/sex/race boundaries, either you are an adventurer/pioneering spirit and you have the inner strength to overcome these obstacles, or you ain't... dont throw tar and feathers on a pig and call it turkey, it's still a hog at the end of the day.

So thats my peice and the soapbox is now free for the next in line

i couldnt agree more with you.... both countries have a lot to offer, like we've all said before the people who are happy in their new chosen country have no need to come on here and tell everyone about it, but my god the people who dont like their new country, the first thing they do is come on here and moan moan moan (opps sorry i mean whine whine whine )
Old Nov 25th 2006, 5:15 pm

ville303 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Calgal]Begin rant:

My brother's family are a perfect example. His wife's Father has 'had a bad back' ever since I was unfortunate enough to make his aquaintance some 20 odd years ago. So bad in fact; that he has been 'unable' to work a single day in all that time and god knows how long before that! He has always lived off of disability and whatever other benefits he can get his hands on (as do most other members of the family). I was stunned when he came to my house when I left England to help my brother relieve me of a few pieces of heavy furniture that I couldn't sell at such short notice; this included lifting and loading into a van, and driving back home, and unloading at the other end. Obviously not 'that' bad!

some sort of benefits/dole. Her mother is also (and always has been)

Great point Calgal!

A (rather too close relative of mine) has been claiming whatever they can off the UK system for years. Two of the kids (questionably) have been diagnosed with 'Autistic Spectrum disorder'...which enabled huge claims...Tax Credit for 3 kids (now 4 after boyfriends moved in), education maintenance allowance....both parents earning what i would question is over the threshold of the Child Tax Credit payments. So amounting to a whopping 30,000 GBP a year...and before you slate me...I have seen evidence...the result?..lots of lovely holidays, fancy cars, extension on house, entertainment systems,....and yes, I suppose this relative could have spent the money differently...and that's their issue...

I am not bitter in any way...because I am comfortable with myself
...My hubby and I emigrated to Canada..and are very happy...I agree with Rich that it's the system in Y(UK)...

We emigrated for many of the issues that have been covered in this thread already...and let's face it guys.. a lot of us are 'singing the same tune'...

It's not just immigrants flooding into the UK who are onto the system...The brits are at it too....
Old Nov 25th 2006, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann101
both parents earning what i would question is over the threshold of the Child Tax Credit payments.
If that's true then either the Revenue knows this and will claw the money back or else they are not declaring income to the Revenue, in which case you should shop them.

So amounting to a whopping 30,000 GBP a year...and before you slate me...I have seen evidence...the result?..lots of lovely holidays, fancy cars, extension on house, entertainment systems,....and yes, I suppose this relative could have spent the money differently...and that's their issue...
A £30K income doesn't get you that unless it's on credit. If some damn fool of a bank is prepared to give credit based on income from benefits then good luck to them. A foolish bank and someone else's money are easily parted..

It's not just immigrants flooding into the UK who are onto the system...The brits are at it too....
True. Except for the "just" bit: I bet you that the percentage of immigrants on benefits is a lot lower than the percentage of natives on benefits. You don't emigrate to another country to go on welfare, do you? (or are there people on this forum who waited years to get to Canada in order to swing the lead?).

K.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 5:07 am

ville303 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote from kt
A £30K income doesn't get you that unless it's on credit. If some damn fool of a bank is prepared to give credit based on income from benefits then good luck to them. A foolish bank and someone else's money are easily parted..

eh?
Read this carefully...as others have pointed out to you.....they are not on a 30 grand income...that's what they get on top...in benefits.... as well as their income...that's the whole point of this whole forum....!!!!...I am afraid you are incapable of reading the posts properly
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann101
I am afraid you are incapable of reading the posts properly
I do apologise. I made the assumption that you were telling something true, but in fact it seems it was yet more of the "free houses, cars, and holidays" rubbish we've come to expect.

K.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

lupo29 has a spectacular aura aboutlupo29 has a spectacular aura aboutlupo29 has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum, but this thread died a LOooooooong time ago.

The original post was a flamer, quoted from another forum, so the person responsible probably doesn't even read here. It was only kept going by artificial means by some folks who believe in quantity rather than quality of life!

However, we love Canada too!
I realize that the post I responded to was an oldie, but my bf showed me the post and thought I'd get a kick out of reading it...and I did, and I just had to respond, silly people and their
fantasies of moving to another country!..LMAO! Yeah and when I came to the UK I thought it was gonna look like Nottinghill, and everyone would talk like Hugh Grant!?..(right) I just don't get it when people complain and winge until their blue in the face but when it comes down to it, they stay anyway?..Hmmm, I'm confused. I wasn't trying to knock Britain either, I do like it here, it is just really different than what I am used to, but I can appreciate it. I'm waffling now, cause I'm new and loving this!..lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.