Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

TheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to behold
Default Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

This is a post on the settlement.org webste by a member called Angie...interesting read

http://www.settlement.org/discuss/to...&TOPIC_ID=3766
Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:28 am
Over here

virion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant future
Default Re: Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Originally Posted by TheVickers
This is a post on the settlement.org webste by a member called Angie...interesting read

http://www.settlement.org/discuss/to...&TOPIC_ID=3766
Sounds like she didn't do her homework or make any recce trips. I have no sympathy for her fustrations at all. She hasn't raised any points that have not been raised here or on similar resources and she need not have been surprised by her experiences.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

TheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by virion
Sounds like she didn't do her homework or make any recce trips. I have no sympathy for her fustrations at all. She hasn't raised any points that have not been raised here or on similar resources and she need not have been surprised by her experiences.

this is her response in a reply further down the thread so I think she did a fair bit of research.

Dont get me wrong, I got my job eventually, I am determined thats why I made the move, but I dont think everyone is as resourceful and its wrong to portray one image of a place when there are so many pitfalls. Believe me I spent 5 long years researching and travelling from home to Canada every year trying to find everything out and even now living in Canada I dont know of anywhere I can find the detail that I posted.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:34 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I skimmed through the rant but one thing that did make me blink was her assertion that you pay into CPP for 30 yrs but if you have a company scheme or too high an income when you retire you don't get your Canadian Pension? Surely this bollox?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I skimmed through the rant but one thing that did make me blink was her assertion that you pay into CPP for 30 yrs but if you have a company scheme or too high an income when you retire you don't get your Canadian Pension? Surely this bollox?

Personally shes ranting about stuff that is exactly the same in England to be honest, and she obviously hasnt shopped around for better deals on her cable!!

and with $50,000 a year you would think she could pay her bills on time every month, you have to pay them in England every month too!

As someone else research research research
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:48 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheVickers
this is her response in a reply further down the thread so I think she did a fair bit of research.

Dont get me wrong, I got my job eventually, I am determined thats why I made the move, but I dont think everyone is as resourceful and its wrong to portray one image of a place when there are so many pitfalls. Believe me I spent 5 long years researching and travelling from home to Canada every year trying to find everything out and even now living in Canada I dont know of anywhere I can find the detail that I posted.
Yeah she did loads of research:-
"Yet when I came here I honestly thought a salary of $20,000 would see me keep the luxury I had become accustomed to."
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Wot a loada twaddle - she's earning $65K as a single girl and is just managing?????
Another Brit who's come here with expectations of living the high life, the big house, fancy car, blah, blah, blah and then realised that it all costs loadsa money!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB
Wot a loada twaddle - she's earning $65K as a single girl and is just managing?????
Another Brit who's come here with expectations of living the high life, the big house, fancy car, blah, blah, blah and then realised that it all costs loadsa money!
The post illustrates one of the key requirements for a successful move to any country and not just Canada. It's attitude and it becomes apparent in just talking to people including employers, work associates and strangers. If you exhibit a negative, complaining, self righteous, superior demeanour then you won't make it.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I only got halfway through that, couldn't be bothered with the rest. I gave up at this point:-

Because although you think the internet is free, you have to pay for a service provider here.

Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I only got halfway through that, couldn't be bothered with the rest. I gave up at this point:-

Because although you think the internet is free, you have to pay for a service provider here.

I came close with some of her questionable math, but gave up at the point where she said "TV - you have to have cable".

HAVE to?

You don't have to at all. You don't even have to have satellite.

I have an antenna in the back of my TV, and get three channels on a good day. 3 channels of imported US shite, rammed with commercials every 4 minutes. That's good enough for me - i'll be down the pub, having a social life and INTEGRATING into my new society!

Living in Hamilton she could get more than my three probably.

Maybe it's the living in Hamilton that's made her bitter

(just joking Hammies!)
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I stopped after skimming down to $50 for the phone service!!! It's patently bollox, I pay $37, and thats including being ex directory and a $8 service / maintainence agreement. If you are paying $50, then you are far from the basic minimum service.

Bloody whining Brits. I cant stand them.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 9th 2006 at 3:44 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of crap here...you don't pay tax rom dollar $1...theres a tax free allowance approx $8000 a year

2) Auto accident - no fault applies to accident benefits - YOU decide what level of income replacement coverage you want - and you don't pay tax on the income replacement. There are discounts for no claims - its called teh STAR rating system

3) Gas $200 and electric $250 a month - wow she pays alot !

4) cable starts at $24 or so a month

5) Never seen a person poor or otherwise walk around with no shoes - honest!

reading it now ..I wish SHE hadn't bothered
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I missed the shoes part... does she mean those people who buy flooring that's not actually suitable for walking on
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray1968

3) Gas $200 and electric $250 a month - wow she pays alot !
Its possible though, I pay $220 monthly for oil and about $150 for Hydro

reading it now ..I wish SHE hadn't bothered
LOL, me too. I wish I hadnt bother too (reading it that is)
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:45 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh another anti-canada band-wagon jumper. At the end of the day, its what you make of it. 33% tax? which tax form is she filling out, i thought it was all staggered

The real sad thing though is this womans ignorance seems to have made a few people think twice about moving to Canada in that thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.