homesickness

Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:58 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: homesickness

I'm sorry to say this, BUT the longer this thread goes on the more convinced I become that JTP is either

a) Looking for sympathy
b) Wallowing in self-pity
c) a Low level Troll
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:04 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I'm sorry to say this, BUT the longer this thread goes on the more convinced I become that JTP is either

a) Looking for sympathy
c) a Low level Troll
For once I have to agree with you Butch.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:08 pm

Peterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jan the piglet
Fraggle, I hear that all the time, so perhaps a trip back could be the "fix" I need
I agree that a trip home will be enough to make you realize why you came here in the first place . What you say is true , we have wide open spaces here in Ontario on one hand , and big overpopulated cities like Toronto in the other ,we also have smaller Municipalities too . I think in your case it is your family that is the biggie , and we all had to deal with this . So take a trip back home stay with your mom and her Husband, maybe an extended trip alone , and I am sure you will be so excited to come back and make this wonderful country your home again.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I went back one summer for two weeks and ended up staying for 4 and half months. Luckily, due to my students apathy and some helpful colleagues missing a month from work was barely noticed.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:40 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I went back one summer for two weeks and ended up staying for 4 and half months. Luckily, due to my students apathy and some helpful colleagues missing a month from work was barely noticed.
Are you the old 'Bazzz'? there are striking similarities between him and you.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

fledermaus, roughly where do you live? the rolling hills and sheep etc sound so British it sounds lovely, Jan
Peterborough County, south east of the city
Old Nov 14th 2009, 4:23 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Nobody will truly understand what essentially amounts to abandoning one life to take up another on the other side of the world...
For whatever reason, this sort of phraseology irks me - it sounds so negative. You don't abandon a life by emigrating, you change your lifestyle, hopefully for the better.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 4:36 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
For whatever reason, this sort of phraseology irks me - it sounds so negative. You don't abandon a life by emigrating, you change your lifestyle, hopefully for the better.
Yep, very true, but one's perception may view it that way, especially if they never wanted to emigrate in the first place. But for someone who has moved and having a tough go of it, this is how it feels, which was my point. Someone who not having the same, persistent feelings, just simply wont understand.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

jan the piglet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Hi Jan

I moved to Van last dec 2008 - full of the joys - or not as I already was worried on the plane - came for hubbys job and to give the kids a better opportunity - 10 and 14 -

any way - I have not settled at all - feel totally disjointed -went back for a visit in Oct - worse thing to do - now an v depressed - hubb not happy with job - and now looking to return to Uk in April full time! heyho!
we were advised not to go back so soon for those obvious reasons
Old Nov 14th 2009, 5:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Peterfrombournemouth
I agree that a trip home will be enough to make you realize why you came here in the first place . What you say is true , we have wide open spaces here in Ontario on one hand , and big overpopulated cities like Toronto in the other ,we also have smaller Municipalities too . I think in your case it is your family that is the biggie , and we all had to deal with this . So take a trip back home stay with your mom and her Husband, maybe an extended trip alone , and I am sure you will be so excited to come back and make this wonderful country your home again.
thank you Peter
Old Nov 14th 2009, 5:10 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

we were advised not to go back so soon for those obvious reasons
I think at the end of the day, some people are just not equipped to leave what is familiar and reassuring. Especially if you can't resolve the friends/family thing. Everything else really comes to pass - tv, radio 1, etc.

Attitude is big factor in adapting but it's also as much to do with why you left. If you were coxed into leaving a happy life for believed riches and a bigger house, you may feel cheated.

I never had a plan to leave the UK. Took a 6 month contract out of Miami intending to go back to the UK when done. Then the usual boy meet girl came into play. That 6 month contract has now turned into 20 years! I never really miss the place anymore, other than my dear old mum of course.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 5:18 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy

a) Looking for sympathy
c) a Low level Troll
It doesn't take a genius to work out that a) and b) obviously apply. As for c), I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I'm fairly convinced that she's genuine.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by onepixel
Hi Jan,

Some people are more sensitive than others so some replies might sound harsh as if they don't understand. I think I replied to a homesickness thread when I first joined this forum. I came over almost 20 years ago. I am 44 now. I felt ill at first because of that homesick feeling. I have been torn ever since about being away from my family who are all back in England.

My mum died almost two years ago and it was just awful. I understand your feelings about your mum completely. I've read some of the replies but not all so forgive me if I ask you things that you have alreay explained. Does your mum have other children there with her or are you the only one? Do you have lots of family that live near her? It comforted me to tell myself that my mum had my two sisters and my stepfather there who loved her. She missed me terribly but it is very cheap to call the UK from Canada.

I convinced my family back in England to buy webcams for their computers and we see each other often via them. We can talk for free on the computer also. This all helps.

Christmas time has always been the hardest for me. I just find it is not the same here but I dont' have children so have never made my own traditions really. One thing I am looking forward to this year is the fact I have a program on my computer that allows me to watch live TV from the UK so I am looking forward to all the silly British comedies etc.

I go home about once every two years and enjoy it but like to return to my home in Canada. I find it very different back there now. I also miss the countryside etc. I think if I had the money I would buy a 2nd house in Cornwall and live there and miss the Canadian winters lol

It really does get better with time. You have to give it time to settle and meet people who will add joy to your life. I believe things happen for a reason. I am convinced I am here to win the new MAX lottery lololol

I live just down the highway from you in Bowmanville. I would love to meet up with a few people near me to start up a little circle of friends were we could do bonfire night, pancake day etc etc.

Sometimes just posting on a message board to strangers helps just because you are letting your feelings out. Ignore the grumpy ones that don't get it. Good for them that they are not feeling this way. It does not mean you are feeling sorry for yourself. It just means you need to express yourself rather than keeping it bottled up.

I used to send my mum cards each month with little handwritten letters in. She loved it and I felt great knowing I had made her feel happy and loved even though I was so far away. My two sisters came to see me a month ago and they brought them all back to me. My mum had saved them all and after she passed away my sisters collected them and brought them over.

Oh yes, knowing where all the great shops are that sell British chocolate is good too I know them all if you want to know lol
What a truly lovely reply. Thank you for taking the time to read about my feelings. It was extremely upsetting to read about your mother's passing, and I can only begin to imagine what it must have been like for you 2 years ago.
We were hoping to sponsor my Mum and stepdad out here but he has been quite ill with his heart and it probably won't fare well on the point-system. We shall wait and see. I'm the eternal optimist though.
I have a brother who is married with 2 teenagers, but I always thought I would be the one caring for my Mum in her old age.
I constantly phone her and send her photos of us all but a webcam sounds like a great idea. Ian (hubby) could maybe buy us one for Christmas.
How touching of your Mum to have kept all your correspondence and again how touching and tear-making for your sisters to bring them to you after your Mum passed away. I am so so sorry for your sad loss. I really do hope things get better for me as I feel so guilty. Ian keeps saying that my Mum's lived her life her way and now it's my turn, but I am just a silly emotional person. Love to meet you and chat.Jan
PS my daughter's birthday's on Bonfire night so we always celebrate that. She thought that all of GB celebrated with her by letting off the fireworks! hahaha.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oink
Why didn't you stay?
Old Nov 14th 2009, 7:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Why didn't you stay?
I had a job. Anyway it was the of October, I had ready skived off a month and half from work, so it was time to put in an appearance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.