Wikiposts

Exchange rate

Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Exchange rate

Originally Posted by steve666
It's not a bore, I watch for your postings with avid anticipation.
We're hoping to exchange sterling for Can $ end of September.

Same here, we're hoping to exchange at the end of September. I do all my calculations at $2.00CND but wouldn't it be nice if it went 2.40

Rosie
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:30 am
Benjy

benjy is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask...those of you that are in the know....what is a reasonable "haircut" that traders shave of the rates. We have to orders in for £200K at 2.15 and another £100K at 2.14...trader reckons that we need rates to be at 2.17 and 2.16 respectively. Seems to me at that they are making a fat wedge out of our cash!! Does this sound reasonable.

Its at 2.14 right now, so hopefully onward and up!!
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

For an amount of that size it is filth, 200 pips out of the market. I can get mine dealt for that size at about 20 pips, but that is because i am actively involved in the market and they make money out of me in other ways.

Try www.schneiderforex.com and ask to speak to Patrick Ronane, tell him Chris Eldred gave you his details and ask him the question outright. At least you are then in a position to play one company against another.

All the best

Chris
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:18 am
Benjy

benjy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Chris,

I am ringing him in the morning,,,see if we can sort a better deal out, What do you think the rates will do this next week??
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:47 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

My two penneth worth - there is nothing happening this week that I am aware of that will have a huge effect on anyworld markets. I suspect imho that we''ll see lows of 2.10 and a high of 2.145 by next weekend.

Its been there or there abouts for ages but I don't think (and i'm sorry to say and please don't take this as any form of financial advice at all) that we'll see above 2.20 this year. And thats based on me being a woman and always right
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:19 am
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
Hi
OH works in banking and he's with Iain Mc on this one.
Rate likely to rise again in the next few weeks. We're due to transfer our cash shortly, so I've got everything crossed that he's right!
Do sympathise with those who moved 12 months ago - when we were over in April 2006 it was a very different story.
I wondered if anybody could tell me if I would have to pay tax on a sum of money transferred from Europe to Canada in order to purchase a house. I have never seen any reference to that only references to exchange rate when bringing money over for one reason or other.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

no if you bring it with you when you land no tax at all....if you bring it later, i think they may be some consequences. Someone might clarify, but i seem to recall if you house has gone up x amount since you landed, then you can be taxed a percentage of the x.

Anyone else care to clarify.

Chris
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:24 am
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Chris.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:31 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I hope a friend of mine who sent me the paragraph below as part of an email won't mind me stealing some of her message but this may help -

We opened an off shore account before we left and have just heard via letter delivered to my Mum that we have income tax to pay on that!!! Bloody British Government!! I mean it was earnings that went into that account, so we have already paid tax on it... just confirms I ain't going back!!! Hey- ho!!

So don't get an offshore account thats for sure!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:06 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

My weekly email that I cannot cancel

CAD - Canada Dollar
Loonie held back by US Dollar
- Interest rates left unchanged
- Canadian employment outperforms the US

After a shaky start that took it down to $2.11 the Pound moved erratically ahead during the second half of the week. A rally on Friday took it up to $2.1450 and it opened this Monday at that level, two cents up on the week.

The Dollar had another uncomfortable week. Its losses were due almost entirely to two bad economic data, each of which cost it an almost instant cent. Having been lulled into a false sense of security by Monday's Labor Day holiday and a softer but adequate services sector PMI on Tuesday the Dollar took its first smack in the teeth on Wednesday from news that Pending Home Sales had fallen by 12 per cent in July. It was the biggest ever monthly drop for the number, which counts the residential properties for which contracts have been exchanged but not completed. The next blow came from Friday's employment report. Non-farm Payrolls had been expected to rise by more than 100,000 in August. When news of a 4,000 fall was accompanied by an 81,000 downward revision to previous months' data the market threw up its hands in horror. Although other areas of the US economy seem to be ticking along quite steadily the bad news from the property sector and the decline in payrolls combined to make investors much more worried about the economy as a whole. The word 'recession' is now being bandied around much more freely and analysts fully expect a cut of at least 25 basis points in the benchmark Federal Funds Rate next week.

Like their colleagues in Canberra, London and Frankfurt the Bank of Canada board took the cautious line and left their key interest rate unchanged last Wednesday. The decision was not a surprise. The biggest disappointment for the Loonie was that decent Canadian employment figures were overshadowed by bad numbers down south. Investors' perception of Canada as a subset of the US economy meant that bad news for the States and the Greenback automatically became bad news for Canada and the Loonie.

Sterling had a week of mixed fortunes. There was little doubt that the Bank of England would leave its target interest rate unchanged at 4.75 per cent. The surprise came when the Old Lady issued a press statement to explain the decision. When the MPC leaves rates unchanged it does not normally issue a statement. It has done so on only two previous occasions; when it was worried about emerging markets in 1998 and when it was worried about undue Sterling strength six months later. Investors therefore inferred that the Bank must be worried now. Sterling has also suffered as a result of the whispering campaign that blames the Bank for not doing enough to help during the continuing liquidity crisis that has seen three month interest rates rise by one percentage point. The official line from Threadneedle Street is that its provision of day-to-day cash fulfils its obligation; for any longer maturity it is up to the market to set its own price. Some of the banks do not see it that way and look to the Bank of England to do more to help.

So what to do?
The Canadian Dollar and the British Pound both bring with them the (increasingly vague) prospect of higher interest rates before the end of the year. This ought to make for a level playing field and should lead to relative stability in the exchange rate. Because of the close relationship between the two North American Dollars the risk for Sterling could be to the upside.
Even so, buyers of the Canadian Dollar should adopt a neutral stance, buying half of their currency forward.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cneldred
For an amount of that size it is filth, 200 pips out of the market. I can get mine dealt for that size at about 20 pips, but that is because i am actively involved in the market and they make money out of me in other ways.

Try www.schneiderforex.com and ask to speak to Patrick Ronane, tell him Chris Eldred gave you his details and ask him the question outright. At least you are then in a position to play one company against another.

All the best

Chris
Chris - do you mind if I use your name as well?

Emily
Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

no problem.

Chris
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
My weekly email that I cannot cancel

You'll still be getting these in 5 years time

Kind of you to share, though
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:48 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Right off to bed - one last check on the rate so I can sleep soundly .............
2.1171 its dropped a lot over the last day or so. Oh well its still better than some recent rates. Will sleep well!

Night night!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 6:38 am
Sawdust making harpy

Look what blinking foot ans mouth has done

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.