Wikiposts

Exchange rate

Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:56 pm
philandhev

Location: Vancouver Island, arrived August 2007 from Derbyshire
philandhev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchange rate

Originally Posted by geedee
The last time I transferred (10 k GBP for a car.... couldn't lease ) I compared rates on the spot with HSBC and Custom House... Custom House won by nearly 2 cents. I did a "swift" transfer to CH's Barclays account in London (cost 20 quid), in the next morning (because I booked too late), instructed CH over the phone, money was in my Canadian HSBC account in less than 1 hour.

Not bragging (nothing to do with me), just offering "alternatives".
Here is a good one for you. Like a lot of other Brits over here I have a sterling account in my HSBC bank over here in BC. I transferred this sterling from First Direct in the UK which was quick and cheap. A couple of weeks ago I decided I needed to exchange GBP 10k in to CAD. When I checked the rates I discovered that had I transferred this amount from FD in the UK rather than between accounts held over here in Canada I would have got a full 1.5 cents per GBP more than what HSBC oferred me over here. So for larger amounts it is cheaper for me to send my money back to the UK and then transfer it back over here into CAD rather than doing an inter-account transfer over here - its ridiculous but worth noting.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Give CH a direct debit authority and they will take the money out of the account and deposit in Canadian for no charge.
Thanks for the tip. They didn't mention that.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:16 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philandhev
Here is a good one for you. Like a lot of other Brits over here I have a sterling account in my HSBC bank over here in BC. I transferred this sterling from First Direct in the UK which was quick and cheap. A couple of weeks ago I decided I needed to exchange GBP 10k in to CAD. When I checked the rates I discovered that had I transferred this amount from FD in the UK rather than between accounts held over here in Canada I would have got a full 1.5 cents per GBP more than what HSBC oferred me over here. So for larger amounts it is cheaper for me to send my money back to the UK and then transfer it back over here into CAD rather than doing an inter-account transfer over here - its ridiculous but worth noting.
You can however transfer you GBP from the HSBC account to Custom House and they do the exchange and likely a better rate.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
You can however transfer you GBP from the HSBC account to Custom House and they do the exchange and likely a better rate.
Definitely at a better rate!! 2 cents in my experience.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:56 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just used Custom House to transfer GBP40k. They took 1 cent off the spot rate - don't think it was a great deal, but not bad either.
Wasn't impressed with our trader though, he was a bit clueless and talked me into aiming a little too high. Ended up splitting the trade in 2 and aimed for 2.00 and 2.03 (ie spot of 2.01 & 2.04). Never quite got high enough to fill the second order, so ended up changing 2nd order at 2.0 as well (after watching rate dive to 1.96 ).

Anyway, all done now - big relief to have enough Ca$ to complete on house this week... and no more looking at the fx rate
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Anyway, all done now - big relief to have enough Ca$ to complete on house this week... and no more looking at the fx rate
I bet you still check it just as often.....just to see if you got a good deal
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:23 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
I've just used Custom House to transfer GBP40k. They took 1 cent off the spot rate - don't think it was a great deal, but not bad either.
Wasn't impressed with our trader though, he was a bit clueless and talked me into aiming a little too high. Ended up splitting the trade in 2 and aimed for 2.00 and 2.03 (ie spot of 2.01 & 2.04). Never quite got high enough to fill the second order, so ended up changing 2nd order at 2.0 as well (after watching rate dive to 1.96 ).

They work fine for us, we use them frequently. FX houses are not investment advisor's, what bid you put in is your choice. Never had them make recommendations, they indicate just tell you past performance and may let you know if there is anything coming up that may affect the rate.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
I know I have been - and am quite pleased so far!

With regards to the currency markets how does one get oneself unaddicted to checking the rate???

Zoe M. x
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Come on...be serious.That would be like getting yourself un-addicted to BE
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:10 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
arrghh - yes, guilty as charged! I still get daily emails from HiFX and I'm subscribed to this thread.....
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

OK campers.... any thoughts as to which way it's going to go? It's hovered around 2.0 for ages, with bad news coming from both countries! Are we locked here for a while or does anyone foresee a swing one way or the other?

I will have to change a large amount (for me, anyway) soon for a deposit on a house.... I have a 2 week window. Any help appreciated!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

I suspect the US has manipulated the markets for one of two reasons. Either so that the new President is in a mess he/she can't escape from, of so that once the new President is in post there will be seen to be a dramatic upturn in their, and worldwide economies, and everything in the garden will be rosy again.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
I suspect the US has manipulated the markets for one of two reasons. Either so that the new President is in a mess he/she can't escape from, of so that once the new President is in post there will be seen to be a dramatic upturn in their, and worldwide economies, and everything in the garden will be rosy again.

He was asking where the currency is going to go in the next two weeks....
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
Err, you mean the current president is in a mess?

I'm sure the republicans won't be fixing things for the democrats!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Loki117
He was asking where the currency is going to go in the next two weeks....
Down or up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.