Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving in Canada

Driving in Canada

Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Canada

Originally Posted by james.mc

When we are out and about in restaurants, bars, shops etc you hear many different 'non Canadian' accents. It stands to reason that many of the drivers on the roads are of non Canadian descent. So, we're not talking about just Canadian driving standards here are we?
I don't get this point which keeps coming up. As a new country, all those people are "Canadians" (Canadian accent or not) and their driving standard is Canadian. It is like saying someone living in London that has a foreign accent (1 out of 5?) is not a Londoner ?!?!

As for the courteous drivers of BC, after the spirited drivers of Portugal, let's see how many months it will take until you request a full frontal lobotomy for driving purposes.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Denhamgirl
and don't forget that when merging onto a motorway (which you must perform badly and without consideration for anyone around you), you MUST MUST MUST, get yourself into the middle lane IMMEDIATELY and stay there for the entire journey.
On nearing your destination and needing to leave the middle lane to exit the motorway (or if you happen to spot a Tim Hortons; it's illegal not to have a cup of this stuff in your car at all times), you must then - without indicating of course - just swerve across those lanes to come off.
Wacky Races has nothing on this place.
oh my goodness!, and there was me thinking I'd be getting away from this kind of driving by leaving Ireland and heading to Canada
When I first came to Ireland in 98 there was no such thing as an MOT for cars, only half the population bothered with insurance, most people got their driving license by saying three 'hail Marys'...and if you got caught speeding it didn't matter because EVERYONE in Ireland has a relative in the guards (police) that can get them off with it

Things changed drastically in the 00ties and as motorways began to appear, this 'hog-the-middle-lane' syndrome became rife!...as did the 'silver-car-syndrome' and the 'fine-weather-fog-light-syndrome'...(which basically involves driving around showing off your fog lights on a sunny day but then turning them off when it's really insanely foggy!.

Over the years penalty points came in along with more stringent enforcement of road traffic laws and it's been amazing to see how the overall standard of driving has improved so much in the space of ten years.

I'm alarmed though to discover through this thread that Canadian drivers seem to be at the poor level the Irish were over 10 years ago.
Just another thought though...perhaps it's just that us BEs have adopted a better standard of driving because our driving test was harder and the police in the UK are very unforgiving...??????....
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazman
oh my goodness!...
Just another thought though...perhaps it's just that us BEs have adopted a better standard of driving because our driving test was harder and the police in the UK are very unforgiving...??????....
Nlo, it is because every single Briton is inherently a better driver than every single Canadian.

FACT.

Last edited by JonboyE; Dec 6th 2012 at 3:59 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:46 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Nlo, it is because every single Briton is a inherently a better driver than every single Canadian.

FACT.
Jacques and Gilles Villeneuve might respectfully disagree
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:58 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Nlo, it is because every single Briton is a inherently a better driver than every single Canadian.

FACT.
So when you get your PR, are you not a Canadian?

What if have kids born in Canada and you teach them to drive?

Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:03 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Just spent the last three weeks driving around South Van Island. Nothing boring about that, generally good roads and nice scenery. Anyone who says roads are straight and boring are clearly living in the wrong part of Canada IMHO.
You're heading to Sooke, right. If you like that windy road from Vic to Sooke and have a tendancy to exceed the speed limit, be careful on the double lane section as it's notorious for speed traps.

Awesome section of road to "drive" in the TR6 when no one else is around.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It is an interesting question and deserves more research. How long does it take a Brit to lose their world leading driving skills once they move to Canada? A month? A year?

At first thought it must be a gradual change. I don't remember waking up one morning and thinking that I had finally assimilated so I don't need to use blinkers or mirrors again.

On second thoughts, and seeing the number of ******* idiots trying to drive out of the airport a couple of hours after a BA plane lands, it might be almost instantaneous.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:05 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Around here there are so many oldies that it's hard to differentiate between the crap drivers and the living dead. I was watching a seriously old biddy in Walmart the other day struggling to put a bag of onions onto the checkout conveyor belt whilst still holding onto her wheely walking frame thing. I was actually curious enough about how she was going to get her shopping home that I slowed down my own shopping to watch the outcome. Sure enough, after much faffing and a change of oxygen cylinder, she managed to get out to the car park. She then proceeded, with the aid of Santa's (Walmart's) Helpers, to get her shopping and self into an ENORMOUS SUV! She couldn't turn her head to see if there was anything behind her before lurching out of her parking space and kangarooing off towards the highway.

Thank God I was going the other way!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:14 pm
Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
into an ENORMOUS SUV!
Haha - there's a reason they drive big ass SUV's - it help when they run into things
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Around here there are so many oldies that it's hard to differentiate between the crap drivers and the living dead. I was watching a seriously old biddy in Walmart the other day struggling to put a bag of onions onto the checkout conveyor belt whilst still holding onto her wheely walking frame thing. I was actually curious enough about how she was going to get her shopping home that I slowed down my own shopping to watch the outcome. Sure enough, after much faffing and a change of oxygen cylinder, she managed to get out to the car park. She then proceeded, with the aid of Santa's (Walmart's) Helpers, to get her shopping and self into an ENORMOUS SUV! She couldn't turn her head to see if there was anything behind her before lurching out of her parking space and kangarooing off towards the highway.

Thank God I was going the other way!
...oh my goodness!, we shouldn't laugh should we, but,.... I can see now that when I eventually arrive in Canada I'm going to have to pick up my old texting habit that I employed when I was getting used to living Ireland... I used to send text messages to friends with the heading "Amusement Of The Day"... if I could retrieve enough of those old texts, I could actually publish a book about the oddities of life in a new culture,..

Last edited by Gazman; Dec 6th 2012 at 7:47 pm. Reason: up
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:11 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
You're heading to Sooke, right. If you like that windy road from Vic to Sooke and have a tendancy to exceed the speed limit, be careful on the double lane section as it's notorious for speed traps.

Awesome section of road to "drive" in the TR6 when no one else is around.
Yep... East Sooke to be precise.

I know the bit of road you are on about. I'll be in an F350 .... or our Jeep.
Later a motorbike will join the wheeled stable.

I can see why it might be a blast in your TR6

Thanks for tip on speed Camera's.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:15 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
....It is like saying someone living in London that has a foreign accent (1 out of 5?) is not a Londoner ?!?!
You might be right there
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:37 pm
Up Your Kilt

Thanks for tip on speed Camera's.
No speed camera's in BC anymore just ghost cars waiting for you around the corner.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:11 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It is an interesting question and deserves more research. How long does it take a Brit to lose their world leading driving skills once they move to Canada? A month? A year?

At first thought it must be a gradual change. I don't remember waking up one morning and thinking that I had finally assimilated so I don't need to use blinkers or mirrors again.

On second thoughts, and seeing the number of ******* idiots trying to drive out of the airport a couple of hours after a BA plane lands, it might be almost instantaneous.
You know you've assimilated when you think the local driving skills are ok.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:29 am
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by bats
You know you've assimilated when you think the local driving skills are ok.
It looks like I am a lost cause.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.