Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving in Canada

Driving in Canada

Old Dec 4th 2012, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all
Default Driving in Canada

I recently saw the below comment on another forum, can anybody confirm that it is true???

<snip>
Edited version;
Okay, here's my comment, in my own words honest

"In british columbia, 40 kph is regarded as Recklessly Dangerous High Speed so its pretty hard to get overtaken by anything unless you're actually in reverse.

Its not uncommon to find a half empty six lane road with a 50kph speed limit and cars moving at a sedate 48kph. Its like slow motion and can be disturbing when you first experience it.

I think its because its so easy to pass the drivers test they're all scared behind the wheel".

Last edited by Gazman; Dec 4th 2012 at 6:27 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Canada

Really sorry, but due to copyright etc, you can't copy and paste posts from other forums.

Could you maybe just give a general overview of what it said instead?

Thx.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 5:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazman
I recently saw the below comment on another forum, can anybody confirm that it is true???

<snip>
That people drive extremely poorly? Yes, that's true.

That in some provinces people drive on the left and in other provinces on the right? No, not yet.

That all the cars are beige or grey? No, just most of them.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

That in some provinces people drive on the left and in other provinces on the right? No, not yet.

Some cars are brown.

Cars are driven on the left on rural roads when the driver wants to turn left. For some reason the driver front of you moves to the left about 100 yards before the turning. I think this is on the same non-braking principle that's used when you turn right and the car behind you is incapable of braking enough to stay in the right hand lane, they have to move out and sort of overtake you as you turn.

Cars cannot be steered around corners either, all corners must be cut, even if it's a blind corner.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Some cars are brown.

Cars are driven on the left on rural roads when the driver wants to turn left. For some reason the driver front of you moves to the left about 100 yards before the turning. I think this is on the same non-braking principle that's used when you turn right and the car behind you is incapable of braking enough to stay in the right hand lane, they have to move out and sort of overtake you as you turn.

Cars cannot be steered around corners either, all corners must be cut, even if it's a blind corner.
yup thats all true in rural Manitoba ..
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason the driver front of you moves to the left about 100 yards before the turning. I think this is on the same non-braking principle that's used when you turn right and the car behind you is incapable of braking enough to stay in the right hand lane, they have to move out and sort of overtake you as you turn.
This is because canadians are very environmentally concious*, and realise that braking and then accelerating back to cruising speed uses more gas and creates more emissions.

By pulling over to the left for a "country left turn", or when passing you on the left as you turn right it means fewer people have to turn their cruise control off

Likewise cutting corners allows drivers to maintain more of their original speed by hitting the apex of the corner, thereby needing to use less gas to get back up to cruising speed.

Now you know

*This is not necessarily true, but the logic is flawless.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 4th 2012 at 6:37 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

"In british columbia, 40 kph is regarded as Recklessly Dangerous High Speed so its pretty hard to get overtaken by anything unless you're actually in reverse.

Its not uncommon to find a half empty six lane road with a 50kph speed limit and cars moving at a sedate 48kph. Its like slow motion and can be disturbing when you first experience it.

I think its because its so easy to pass the drivers test they're all scared behind the wheel".
Didnt we do a thread last week about this, more or less?
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't driven in BC but given that the population is very old, Asian and/or stoned, it sounds credible.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Are you saying that 'silver-car syndrome' has not immersed itself in Candian society the way it has in UK & Ireland???
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Some cars are brown.

oh dear, what am I letting myself in for?!
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Are you saying that 'silver-car syndrome' has not immersed itself in Candian society the way it has in UK & Ireland???
Grey vs. Silver and Brown vs. Beige are differences too subtle for me in most cases. BMW does offer a brown/green very like the colour of liquid cow shit though, that makes their cars stand out from the Hyundais with the same styling.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

oh dear, what am I letting myself in for?!
Ridiculous insurance premiums and a lot of shouting at other drivers general level of competence and awareness if you are anything like the rest of us....
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Grey vs. Silver and Brown vs. Beige are differences too subtle for me in most cases. BMW does offer a brown/green very like the colour of liquid cow shit though, that makes their cars stand out from the Hyundais with the same styling.
Sounds a lot like my new one. "Brown"* was chosen for preference as I actually own this one, rather than lease, so with long term ownership in mind it matches the road dirt coating it has now (that every car ends up in the winter regardless of original colour) and the rust it will have in a few years time.

*"Metallic Urban Titanium" in marketingspeak

Last edited by iaink; Dec 4th 2012 at 6:45 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:40 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Damn i love silver cars..in fact my car here is silver..in fact its probably a shitty grey/black/brown colour right now
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

loads &loads of white cars,half tons driving in whiteouts wi no rearlights on.!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.