Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving in Canada

Driving in Canada

Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Canada

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
The posters on this thread just provide evidence as to why liquor/beer distribution is Government controlled in most of this country. God only knows what rubbish they would write if it was not.
Surely you don't think these clowns are sober?
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

cedarsguardian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shard
In BC at a 4-way intersection it is mandatory for all drivers approaching the intersection to give way to other drivers at or approaching the intersection. It is recommended that this state of indecision should last at least two minutes until all vehicles are ready to proceed in unison. Under no circumstances should any vehicle be deemed to have priority.
How about a mini roundabout in the UK

The number of times you get deadlocked!!! .... I just love it... I simply drive off while other drivers are still debating who should be the first to drive off

I recall that the rule of mini roundabout is that you must give way to whomever is on the roundabout, however reality is you end up waiting until all cars approaching from the right to clear before proceeding....

Cutting corners is another issue in the UK,

I now approach junctions with lights on and as far to the right as possible to scare other drivers turning right and cutting their corner so they learn a lesson not to do it again.. I think my local area has considerably improved since I adopted this tactic...
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
There was survey on this last year:

Silver/grey 22.3%
Black 14.1%
Blue 13.6%
Red 11.6%
White 6.9%
Green: 6%
Gold: 3.8%
Orange: 0.4%
Other: 11%

http://www.ctvnews.ca/silver-grey-mo...study-1.688805
I don't think that can be right. Looking out of the window I can see more beige cars than any other colour and yet there's no beige on your list. I don't think Nissans, for example, come in any colours except grey and beige.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:25 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cedarsguardian
How about a mini roundabout in the UK

The number of times you get deadlocked!!! .... I just love it... I simply drive off while other drivers are still debating who should be the first to drive off

I recall that the rule of mini roundabout is that you must give way to whomever is on the roundabout, however reality is you end up waiting until all cars approaching from the right to clear before proceeding....
That is a very good point, and I used to be one of the flummoxed drivers at mini-roundabouts, until I was reminded that I simply need to give way to the right (as per a normal roundabout). As you say, most drivers are in debate mode at mini's so you can just drive straight off with everyone else admiring your decisiveness.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
If YOU WANT HELP ON THE TRUCKING FORUM STOP TRASHING BMW DRIVERS ,YES I KNOW I'M SHOUTING
...Oh dear...is it fine-day-fog-light-syndrome or silver-car-syndrome? ... statistically if you drive a Bmer you're likely to have at least one......
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Oink
Take the bus or a taxi that way you can have a few pints on the way home from work and not worry about crashing.
unless that is your taxi driver is Canadian, it seems,
Old Dec 5th 2012, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Denhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to all

and don't forget that when merging onto a motorway (which you must perform badly and without consideration for anyone around you), you MUST MUST MUST, get yourself into the middle lane IMMEDIATELY and stay there for the entire journey.
On nearing your destination and needing to leave the middle lane to exit the motorway (or if you happen to spot a Tim Hortons; it's illegal not to have a cup of this stuff in your car at all times), you must then - without indicating of course - just swerve across those lanes to come off.
Wacky Races has nothing on this place.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 12:58 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Denhamgirl
and don't forget that when merging onto a motorway (which you must perform badly and without consideration for anyone around you), you MUST MUST MUST, get yourself into the middle lane IMMEDIATELY and stay there for the entire journey.
On nearing your destination and needing to leave the middle lane to exit the motorway (or if you happen to spot a Tim Hortons; it's illegal not to have a cup of this stuff in your car at all times), you must then - without indicating of course - just swerve across those lanes to come off.
so true.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:34 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the reason that silver, grey and white car 'colours' are so popular here is for invisibility purposes.

I mean, really, who in their right mind would buy a car that is the same colour as the road in bad weather conditions then not switch the lights on? There's a lot of them and they all 'hide' in this manner. They must be shy, or something.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:46 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Denhamgirl
I love the ones that drive to end of the merge lane at 50kph with their turn signal on and come to a complete stop waiting for someone to let them in.

Always wanted to stop and ask them what could they possibly be thinking and how did you ever get a drivers license.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Always wanted to stop and ask them what could they possibly be thinking and how did you ever get a drivers license.
Probably swapped it from overseas, its a nation of immigrants after all.

Thats why I get tired of the carping about "Canadian" drivers. I wonder how many were born and raised in Canada and learned to drive here.

Maybe its a small town thing but I dont mind driving here for the most part. On the highways around the large cities there are certainly some nutters in too much of a hurry.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Probably swapped it from overseas, its a nation of immigrants after all.

Thats why I get tired of the carping about "Canadian" drivers. I wonder how many were born and raised in Canada and learned to drive here.

Maybe its a small town thing but I dont mind driving here for the most part. On the highways around the large cities there are certainly some nutters in too much of a hurry.
Apart from the fact that's its boring as hell, with boring roads and boring scenery and the radio is shit, I tend to agree with you.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 4:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My school run is surprisingly hilly and twisty, with a few good straights and sweeping turns. The scenery is nice enough too. We dont usually have the radio on.

I shudder to think how Im going to get the kids to obey the speed limits and stop at stop signs though when its time for them to learn to drive... I could go for the tried and tested "Do as I say, not as I do, if you want to pass your test" argument?
Old Dec 5th 2012, 4:26 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Apart from the fact that's its boring as hell, with boring roads and boring scenery and the radio is shit, I tend to agree with you.
Come to BC and I'll show you some decent roads to rip on. As for the radio, that's why you have an iPod so you can pick your driving tunes.

Originally Posted by iaink
I shudder to think how Im going to get the kids to obey the speed limits and stop at stop signs though when its time for them to learn to drive... I could go for the tried and tested "Do as I say, not as I do, if you want to pass your test" argument?
I resemble that comment. I taught my kids and they passed their tests fine and now drive like a "normal" person.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:25 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Just spent the last three weeks driving around South Van Island. Nothing boring about that, generally good roads and nice scenery. Anyone who says roads are straight and boring are clearly living in the wrong part of Canada IMHO. On the Island drivers are generally courteous and don't tailgate like they do in Europe. When signalling to try and change lanes I've often seen cars give way to other drivers rather than simply pretend they are not there and close the gap!

When we are out and about in restaurants, bars, shops etc you hear many different 'non Canadian' accents. It stands to reason that many of the drivers on the roads are of non Canadian descent. So, we're not talking about just Canadian driving standards here are we?

I see bozo's in the UK sit in the Centre lane of a motorway and not exceed 70 even though the slow lane is clear.. maybe they are Canadian too?
As for the standard of driving in Portugal, indicators are only for the annual vehicle road test. Tailgating is rife, speeding is rife, overtaking on blind bends is rife .... just thank your lucky stars you are driving in Canada!!

Driving in BC - Vancouver Island.. is fine by me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.