Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you regret moving?

View Poll Results: Was moving to Canada the best decision you've made?
Yes
37.42%
No
42.94%
undecided
19.63%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Do you regret moving?

Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:23 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you regret moving?

Originally Posted by Oink
I think the only people who overrate it are Canadians that have never travelled.
And expats from the north of England (though in fairness, this is kind of understandable).
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

oriley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjones
And expats from the north of England (though in fairness, this is kind of understandable).
Hang on there old pal!
In all fairness Canada is an awesome country. Been in Canada 15 years.
Went back to Huddersfield for 2-wk Xmas vacation and loved every minute of it; but was happy to get back on the plane and land in Toronto where it was -14deg but the SUN was out.
I just don't remember the UK having so much rain. The pavements had a green tinge to them (moss); and also the north side of houses, buildings, etc.
Being able to bike/hike over here is bullet-proof. Over the course of weekly hiking throughout the winter, it usually gets cancelled only a couple times; and the same applies for weekly mountain bike rides over the summer/fall; unluck if we cancel more than 3 times.
Compare this to the UK where the rain makes such a mess of outdoor activities.
UK=4 barbecues per summer
Canada = 90 barbecues per summer!!!!!!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

hooksy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I dont regret moving..but if i was given the opportunity to live my last 10 years again..would i have moved to Canada..the answer is no.
This is close to what i feel for the last 5 years of my life
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:11 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjones
Offensive.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

Love living in NS

Would i go back to the UK - NO not out of choice but you never know whats round the corner
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I do not regret moving to Canada. My only regret was not moving earlier.

I did not base my move on just hope, but on lots of careful research, and it has exceeded my expectations.

For the right offer I would move back to the UK (If I could persuade my wife), but probably not permanently.

There are things that I miss about the UK and things I don't like about my part of Canada, but nowhere's perfect.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oriley
Hang on there old pal!
In all fairness Canada is an awesome country. Been in Canada 15 years.
Went back to Huddersfield for 2-wk Xmas vacation and loved every minute of it; but was happy to get back on the plane and land in Toronto where it was -14deg but the SUN was out.
I just don't remember the UK having so much rain. The pavements had a green tinge to them (moss); and also the north side of houses, buildings, etc.
Being able to bike/hike over here is bullet-proof. Over the course of weekly hiking throughout the winter, it usually gets cancelled only a couple times; and the same applies for weekly mountain bike rides over the summer/fall; unluck if we cancel more than 3 times.
Compare this to the UK where the rain makes such a mess of outdoor activities.
UK=4 barbecues per summer
Canada = 90 barbecues per summer!!
!!!!

Brilliant. The bbq scale of the quality of life.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:00 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously considering a move back, living here is slowly killing my husband. Still want to check out ontario but it all depends on the car scene, its crap in alberta.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:41 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Seriously considering a move back, living here is slowly killing my husband. Still want to check out ontario but it all depends on the car scene, its crap in alberta.
What's the car scene? Racing?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:56 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

30-40min drive from Ajax

http://www.canadiantiremotorsportpar...tional-raceway
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:16 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What's the car scene? Racing?
Muscle cars and drag racing, classics, and English classics too, the ease of buying and selling as well, here its an overpriced secret society. There is just so much more in the uk, at least where we were thanbthere is where we are now. We will be checking out the possibilities of ontario before final desicions are made, this is not going to be a quick move by any means. Snow on the ground for 6 monyhs dosent help anything either wgen it comes to cars, for example there is a classic overpriced (thanks tonthe idiots thst watch barrat jackson) auction at the weekend, mwe would have liked to have entered a couple of cars but a they are not ready and b they cant be moved because of the snow.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:35 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't regret moving to Canada. We're very happy here - so far!
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:11 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Muscle cars and drag racing, classics, and English classics too, the ease of buying and selling as well, here its an overpriced secret society. There is just so much more in the uk, at least where we were thanbthere is where we are now. We will be checking out the possibilities of ontario before final desicions are made, this is not going to be a quick move by any means. Snow on the ground for 6 monyhs dosent help anything either wgen it comes to cars, for example there is a classic overpriced (thanks tonthe idiots thst watch barrat jackson) auction at the weekend, mwe would have liked to have entered a couple of cars but a they are not ready and b they cant be moved because of the snow.
No car scene is cock. Even Ajax has a car scene, I've got many pics (on my other phone) of cruises and classic Chevey Ss's and such like. The A&W burger store near my house has a cruise turns up every week end almost from May onwards.
Try Ontario. But, choose wisely or you maybe disappointed yet again.
Attached Thumbnails Do you regret moving?-image.jpg  
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
No car scene is cock. Even Ajax has a car scene, I've got many pics (on my other phone) of cruises and classic Chevey Ss's and such like. The A&W burger store near my house has a cruise turns up every week end almost from May onwards.
Try Ontario. But, choose wisely or you maybe disappointed yet again.
I think all small Ontario towns have some sort of car scene. Shelburne, for example, has parades of Americana while south of Guelph there's a dealer with interesting enough stock (MGs, Alfas, ten to fifteen thousand dollar "classics") that I pull on to their forecourt for a butcher's once a week or so. In retirement places such as Goderich or NOTL, there are any number of old geezers with a TR in bits. I even know of two Morgans in Oakville.

That said, Vancouver Island, especially someplace with a Q, Qualicum Beach, something like that, seems to be the place in Canada judging by the number of interesting cars offered for sale there.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Brilliant. The bbq scale of the quality of life.
But yet you're free to use the cheese scale and any other measurement you can think of as long as it shows Canada in a bad light in comparison to the UK? Hypocritical perhaps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.