Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you regret moving?

View Poll Results: Was moving to Canada the best decision you've made?
Yes
37.42%
No
42.94%
undecided
19.63%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Do you regret moving?

Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you regret moving?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Is there anybody who, ultimately, doesn't have a choice? I suppose if you have renounced your British citizenship. I choose to stay here.
Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Chances are unless I win the lottery I would not move back.
Jonboy you are right we all have the choice to move back but as FL mentioned there are things that would change our choices, such as winning the lottery.

Perhaps a better question would be that if external factors didn't exist like money or family where would you choose to live?

For me I'm like FL if I one the lottery I would move back but it doesn't stop there I have obligations to my foster kids as well as my SIL and my niece. So winning the lottery today still wouldn't be enough to make me move where as if I won the lottery in 5 years time I could take my foster kids with me as they will no longer be bound to their social workers.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 4:06 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emjaca85
For those who have moved to Canada permanently, do you regret it at all or found that it was harder to settle then you expected?

Is Canada all you hoped it would be? If you had a choice would you go back to the UK?

I'm going over on a WHV for a year or two. And if i like it I shall probably try and stay. But the grass isnt always greener is it?
Well I'm not technically here "permanently" yet but my PR application should hopefully conclude in the next few months and my plan is to stay here.

I'd visited Canada previously as a child and as an adult. I have extended family here and met my wife here too so I'm not "off the plane on my own". I was also here on an IEC visa in 2010 and then back in the UK for about 9 months in between getting my 2nd IEC visa so I've been able to compare as a "half in-half out" for that period.

I'm very happy here. I enjoy cold weather and snow (genuinely) and I love ice hockey. I think those are two big benefits as they are both big parts of Canadian life. If you're not inclined to like winter and "winter sports" I would imagine it would be annoying when every Saturday night the TV seems to be filled with hockey. I also have a good job here that pays more than I ever earned back home and the economy as a whole appears to be a bit better here.

Just like back home the people are, in the main, pleasant.
The cost of living here varies depending on the item/service but again, once it's all said and done, works out about the same. You save on gas but pay more on car insurance. Food items tend to cost more but fast food seems cheaper. Cell phones and internet are more expensive in Canada but the trend seems to be towards lowering prices so it should work out pretty even shortly. Health coverage doesn't seem to be as "good" but you don't seem to pay as much in tax to fund it either. Basically, for me personally, it ends up as much of a muchness for the costs/prices of things.

I always "have the choice" to go back to the UK but I don't plan to. My wife is here and we're pretty settled. As mentioned, for the past few years I've been back and forth so we've had time to get our plans in order. Of course I miss my family and friends back home and you miss "local food" and things like BBC/iplayer but that's unavoidable and people should be aware of it in advance.

Overall I think Canada is a better bet. The whole EU seems to be in a death spiral and that will end up hurting everyone there. Canada seems to have more control over it's own destiny despite being heavily tied to the US.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 4:31 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

It's not as easy and yes and no, there are many factors and hindsight is a wonderful thing. We do think we should have tried elsewhere in the UK, before moving halfway around the world, hence we are thinking we should move elsewhere in Canada before we move halfway around the world, only this time we are going to take our time making the decision and choices. Had we not moved here, we wouldn't know
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Big Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud of

Would we have emigrated to Canada....yes.

Nova Scotia.....er..no.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:06 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Do I regret moving - no.

Best decision I ever made - yup
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:23 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

I don't regret stopping in the UK/Europe until I was 50 and I don't regret moving here on retirement.............I have treated it as an adventure and therefore my hopes and expectations are probably lower than most younger families who need decent jobs etc

I listened to what Robert Frost had to advise.

http://zenpencils.com/comic/60-rober...oad-not-taken/

Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emjaca85
For those who have moved to Canada permanently, do you regret it at all or found that it was harder to settle then you expected?

Is Canada all you hoped it would be? If you had a choice would you go back to the UK?

I'm going over on a WHV for a year or two. And if i like it I shall probably try and stay. But the grass isnt always greener is it?
It wouldn't describe it as the best decision I've made, but after 18 months here, I think it was a good decision. I didn't have a problem with life in the UK, but we felt ready for a bit of an adventure, and living over here has met that requirement.

With respect to the grass, whether it's greener or not, it's not the same grass you left. People and places move on when you're not there. And I like Calgary's brown winter grass when it's covered by fresh snow.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

These are 2 different questions:
- Do you regret moving?
- Was moving to Canada the best decision you've made?

I would answer NO to both. I don't regret moving to Canada but it was certainly not the best decision I've ever made even though it was a good one.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:09 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

it would never qualify as being the best decision i have ever made but it would definitely be in the frame for the most interesting decision i ever made
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
No.
I had no expectations. I wouldnt go back the the UK as things are now but never say never.

The grass is just a different shade of green (or brown if you are in Calgary!)

Best decision? No, that was having kids, but its turned out OK for me.
Same here.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:28 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have a choice as it was my parents that immigrated and I was part of the package.

Would they ever move back - hell no

Would I - hell yes, its just a matter of when
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:38 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

No, moving to Canada was not the best decision I have made.

Having 2 boys would be first and learning to fly second.

Moving to Canada was just a decision at the time that appears to have worked out fine n dandy for us. Would I go back to live in the UK.? I haven't done so just yet.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

still don't want to stay, so I suppose it wasn't the best move I've ever made !
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

emjaca85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your responses - insightful and interesting.

I know i messed the poll question up... I meant was moving to Canada the right decision as opposed to staying in the UK...

Last edited by emjaca85; Mar 5th 2013 at 7:01 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 7:23 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
It's early days for me (8 months)

As for the vote, like others have said, I wouldn't categorize it a 'best ever decision' because there are more important things but I'm optimistic that one day I will look back and say it was one of my smarter moves, particularly if my children can build the lives I hope they will.
Early days for me too, and I think this sums my feelings up. However, if I were coming for a two year stint I would be ecstatic and enjoying every bit of the adventure of it, and would be loving every second. Hope you enjoy yours, best of luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.