Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you regret moving?

View Poll Results: Was moving to Canada the best decision you've made?
Yes
37.42%
No
42.94%
undecided
19.63%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Do you regret moving?

Old Mar 5th 2013, 7:32 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you regret moving?

Originally Posted by emjaca85
Thank you for your responses - insightful and interesting.

I know i messed the poll question up... I meant was moving to Canada the right decision as opposed to staying in the UK...
Ohh Yes then.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 7:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your responses - insightful and interesting.

I know i messed the poll question up... I meant was moving to Canada the right decision as opposed to staying in the UK...
Staying in the UK would probably have worked out OK, but I left in 1977, not to Canada, but to the US, then to Canada, then to Germany and then back to Canada, then to France (soon permanently) and have never regretted any of those decisions.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 5th 2013 at 7:40 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

emjaca85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MillieF
Early days for me too, and I think this sums my feelings up. However, if I were coming for a two year stint I would be ecstatic and enjoying every bit of the adventure of it, and would be loving every second. Hope you enjoy yours, best of luck
That's exactly what I intend to do!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Mircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura about

That's exactly what I intend to do!
I've not been here for long a not a resident yet but I am looking to be one when I can be sponsored later on this year.

I to be honest never had Canada in my head and was in Australia on a WHV which was the best time of my life. It happened to be where and when I came across my Canadian man and he is the reason I am now in Canada. I have enjoyed Canada so far and feel life is all good here.

My advice is enjoy the IEC as you never know where you will end up and there is no grass is greener than anywhere else in my opinion. The UK will always be my home however I'm sure Canada will be on par with that one day.

So coming here was more the biggest decision of my life and I wouldn't change whats happened for the world.

Good luck with your IEC application

Last edited by Mircha; Mar 5th 2013 at 10:22 pm. Reason: Spelling mistake!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

For those who have moved to Canada permanently, do you regret it at all or found that it was harder to settle then you expected?
No regrets - only maybe that we didn't do it sooner. Easier to settle in than we imagined but we have been lucky in terms of jobs / friends etc.

Is Canada all you hoped it would be? If you had a choice would you go back to the UK?
It has been much more than we had hoped. We have seen and experienced much more than we ever thought possible when doing our research way back when.

I'm going over on a WHV for a year or two. And if i like it I shall probably try and stay. But the grass isnt always greener is it?
In our experience the grass is much greener but I realise that not everyone feels this way.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 11:55 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

No.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

craig25 is an unknown quantity at this point

I regret not making the move last july.I got offered a job but turned it down.I am now looking to go in the next 2 months as my pr will end.Only downfall is i will have to stay for 2 years to live my 2 out of 5 for pr status.I am sure it will fly by though.I love canada but i also like the uk to due to family etc.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of

Moving wasn't the best decision we made but glad gave it a try or wouldn't have known.
It wasn't easy to settle but we did some research into jobs prior so I was able to get employed after 3mnths (done 2 courses to get the job I wanted one year later)
Our first winter put us off as we always visited in the summer!
Did like the fact in close proximity to newyork/buffalo for shopping, it is cleaner with a lot of freah open space & the houses are much bigger but ideally I would love to live there for 3 seasons only (not winters) but thinking to move back to UK in near future
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops confusion! Read the subject - 'do you regret moving?' thought no and voted no...then read the actual question 'was it the best decision you've made?'...so really meant yes!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:21 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Do I regret moving here? Absolutely not. Met my other half here and have a pretty good life.

Is it the best decision I've made in my whole life ever? No, that was taking my Masters degree, which opened up a multitude of opportunities, including moving here that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

Is it the worst decision I've ever made. Not by a long chalk.

Would I do it all again, knowing what I know now. Hard to say, given that I've no idea how my life would have turned out if I'd stayed in Blighty.

Horses for courses, make the best of it and all that...
Old Mar 6th 2013, 8:19 pm
win'peger

nitin.g is on a distinguished road

Too early for me to comment...but

Do you regret moving : nah
Was moving to Canada the best decision you've made : Well i can only know answer to this question after 8-10 years if i can create a good future for family here.

Moving to Canada had been a Good decision for sure.... but was it the "best" - weelll may be.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 12:45 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HSJones
Oops confusion! Read the subject - 'do you regret moving?' thought no and voted no...then read the actual question 'was it the best decision you've made?'...so really meant yes!
I did exactly the same thing, as I had, obviously wrongly, assumed the poll would be worded in the same manner as the thread title, but it seems they are the opposite of each other!

Nearly 10 years in, no, I do not regret moving here. It was a fairly quick decision, pretty sure it was discussed in Jan / Feb, and I was actually here in early April (both 2003). At the time I was single and lived at home with my parents, and they fully supported my move. The company I worked for wanted to open an office in North America, the US was simply not interested in allowing us to work there, Canada was more than happy, and Toronto was a good location, primarily being close to one of our largest clients.

There was also a bit of a safety net as it was a small company and we were told that if we did not like it here, we could go back to the UK to the same job without any problems at all, so I think that helped ease things too.

I do miss my friends and family, but email, Skype, and occasional visits, both visiting the UK and friends and family coming over here, means there isn't too much contact lost.

I've married a Canadian, had PR and am now a Citizen, and I'm here for the long haul. There would have to be a very dramatic change in circumstances for me to return to the UK on a permanent basis.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

daiske is an unknown quantity at this point

I´ve only been here 8 months. I don't regret it, but I think Canada is overrated.
I don't think we'll stay here for a long time.

Last edited by daiske; Mar 7th 2013 at 1:06 am.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Broadway is an unknown quantity at this point

Never for one second have I thought I might like to return to the UK. I have been in Canada since 1982.....31 years in May.....and LOVE IT here. Occasionally head back to NW England to visit relatives, but SOOO glad to get back on the plane to come HOME! Don't miss the UK at all.

Things are really tough in the UK from what I can see, hear and read. I bet the Canadian Embassy in London gets thousands of calls re emigrating to the greatest country in the world.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:06 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daiske
I´ve only been here 8 months. I don't regret it, but I think Canada is overrated.
I don't think we'll stay here for a long time.
I think the only people who overrate it are Canadians that have never travelled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.