Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do you regret moving?

View Poll Results: Was moving to Canada the best decision you've made?
Yes
37.42%
No
42.94%
undecided
19.63%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Do you regret moving?

Old Apr 26th 2013, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you regret moving?

Originally Posted by hooksy
This is close to what i feel for the last 5 years of my life
Isn't that a form of regret though?
Old Apr 27th 2013, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

jkgoulds will become famous soon enoughjkgoulds will become famous soon enough

Im 22 and been here 2 years and im in the process of moving back to the UK - i have a great paying job here but its the lifestyle and the 'way of life' i dont like.. I can't say i regret it because if i hadn't of done it then I would always be wondering but I know now its not for me and your right, its not what you think it will be, its not all i hoped for, the big canadian dream is not what i expected and the grass isnt always greener! definatly not here in calgary anyway! all i know is i can't wait to be back on home turf
Old Apr 27th 2013, 6:38 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jkgoulds
Im 22 and been here 2 years and im in the process of moving back to the UK - i have a great paying job here but its the lifestyle and the 'way of life' i dont like.. I can't say i regret it because if i hadn't of done it then I would always be wondering but I know now its not for me and your right, its not what you think it will be, its not all i hoped for, the big canadian dream is not what i expected and the grass isnt always greener! definatly not here in calgary anyway! all i know is i can't wait to be back on home turf
What aspects of the lifestyle did you find different from your expectation?
Old Apr 27th 2013, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

honestly,,, everything. its so hard to adapt, the first few months are fine because everything is so new and exciting but then you have to tell yourself this is it, this is life now and when it settles in its kind of upsetting and its a struggle of everyday life
Old Apr 27th 2013, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ak9
To all those who live in Canada now - how would you rate the work/life balance? and things like holiday allowance over all??
main reason we're going back! canadians live to well work, its all work work work and very little enjoy life - apart from the people who have retired....

10 days unpaid holiday allowence a YEAR from 28 days PAID is a big thing, especially because you have to plan your holiday carefully because everything is so wide spread and apart, majority of your holiday would be travelling to the destination!
Old Apr 27th 2013, 6:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

honestly,,, everything. its so hard to adapt, the first few months are fine because everything is so new and exciting but then you have to tell yourself this is it, this is life now and when it settles in its kind of upsetting and its a struggle of everyday life
If you like travel, being based in Britain is better (especially if you lack decent holidays in Canada).
Old Apr 27th 2013, 6:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

main reason we're going back! canadians live to well work, its all work work work and very little enjoy life - apart from the people who have retired....

10 days unpaid holiday allowence a YEAR
from 28 days PAID is a big thing, especially because you have to plan your holiday carefully because everything is so wide spread and apart, majority of your holiday would be travelling to the destination!
You should have a word with Labour Standards.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 6:57 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

What was so hard?, meeting and making friends?, lifestyle?
Old Apr 27th 2013, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ak9
To all those who live in Canada now - how would you rate the work/life balance? and things like holiday allowance over all??
Originally Posted by Mikeypm
What was so hard?, meeting and making friends?, lifestyle?

back in the uk i had a wide variety of social activies/social life and plenty of true friends and aquentances, always was busy and bumping into people so on and so forth here after 2 years i have made no friends! only people through work and thats not something to live for ! alot of british people ive spoke to struggled to find friends , you cant just nip to the pub and have a game of pool because well the pub isnt in walking distance!
Old Apr 27th 2013, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shard
If you like travel, being based in Britain is better (especially if you lack decent holidays in Canada).
exactly, so close to europe for starters! can just jump on the chunnel or drive an hour and your in a new town/city with things to see and do here, you have to plan all the time in advance and driving somewhere decent, or flying, takes up the majority of the journey
Old Apr 27th 2013, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

I have two months holiday which is unpaid. I am a teacher and my salary is paid over ten months.Of course I have to save to cover those two months, nevertheless I am on a much better salary here as compared to the UK. However, I find it much more expensive here so the money just doesn't last. Do I have any regrets moving here? No, because my son has settled in well and I am settling in. I still have difficulties with certain aspects of the way of life here on the west coast, but all in all I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ruby
Old Apr 27th 2013, 7:41 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by RubyRose
I have two months holiday which is unpaid. I am a teacher and my salary is paid over ten months.Of course I have to save to cover those two months, nevertheless I am on a much better salary here as compared to the UK. However, I find it much more expensive here so the money just doesn't last. Do I have any regrets moving here? No, because my son has settled in well and I am settling in. I still have difficulties with certain aspects of the way of life here on the west coast, but all in all I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ruby
How do you find the standard of schooling (as a teacher and as a parent) between BC and where you were in Britain?
Old Apr 27th 2013, 7:46 pm
Yo

back in the uk i had a wide variety of social activies/social life and plenty of true friends and aquentances, always was busy and bumping into people so on and so forth here after 2 years i have made no friends! only people through work and thats not something to live for ! alot of british people ive spoke to struggled to find friends , you cant just nip to the pub and have a game of pool because well the pub isnt in walking distance!
One thing to remember is that your friends in Britain were accumulated over a lifetime, whereas in somewhere new it usually takes a couple of years before you START to find real friends. Lack of pubs in Calgary in not ideal, Vancouver is a bit better with walkable pubs and cafes.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 4:04 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

10 days unpaid holiday allowence a YEAR from 28 days PAID is a big thing, especially because you have to plan your holiday carefully because everything is so wide spread and apart, majority of your holiday would be travelling to the destination!
Originally Posted by JonboyE
You should have a word with Labour Standards.
Yes, definately have a word with labour standards, the minimum paid holiday is 10 days.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Yes, definately have a word with labour standards, the minimum paid holiday is 10 days.
We get 4% of every 2 weeks pay put into the 'holiday wage' which only works out to like $15 a day of each of those ten daya off... it all legal, the company has the choice to do it that way...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.