Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Canada compared to uk

Cost of living in Canada compared to uk

Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:37 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Canada compared to uk

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
Did they also tell you about over time and the 'work till you are close to death' policy?
EA is well known for this.
that's what I hear too.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:41 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
that's what I hear too.
I don't know what they are like to work for but I do know about their products. A few years ago they produced nothing but mediocrity and dullness; whereas recently they have published some very good titles.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...Facing-Trouble

The irony for gamers is that after years of excoriating the company for destroying studios and churning out lackluster, cookie-cutter crap, Riccitiello appeared to "get the message" not long after he took over: He claimed to dislike heavy-handed DRM, promised that the company would make a greater effort to create new and better titles (and then actually delivered on that promise) and even appeared to take an enlightened view toward piracy. Yet it's the unabashedly profit-driven Bobby Kotick at Activision who's riding high these days, while EA continues to flounder.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:53 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
Did they also tell you about over time and the 'work till you are close to death' policy?
EA is well known for this.
I always enjoy your humourous and/or well informed and upbeat postings.

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
that's what I hear too.
Please dont encourage them.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:55 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Which companies did you work for Rich (and what were the titles you worked on)?

Originally Posted by R I C H
The companies I worked for in England had similar - chill out rooms for the over worked code monkeys (most of whom we had to kick out and send home at night), 'duvet days' for the poor souls that wanted the option to stay in bed some mornings, frisbee afternoons, pinball machines etc etc. Any bitching about salary was soon quashed when they were reminded about the cushy work environment they enjoyed.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:10 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In short, any time you had off work could be spent in a resort, end of project and birthday lunches were held in places such as Venice. The combination of benefits and relatively poor pay attracted a young, highly sexually active crowd unconcerned with their futures. I loved it.
I understand that academic life in Vancouver is somewhat like this still, though with better pay
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I understand that academic life in Vancouver is somewhat like this still, though with better pay
My informant on academic life in Vancouver is a student so, for her, yes.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:23 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Which companies did you work for Rich (and what were the titles you worked on)?
I worked for SAS-Digital (no longer in existence) Redzu (ditto), Epinet (ditto), and Freestyle New Media (we shared office space with Codemasters).

Most of my work was as a project manager and strategist. It was client specific work, rather than stuff for the general marketplace. Clients were national/multinational brands that needed web hosted marketing solutions and offline digital assets (DVD/CD Roms etc).

We built bespoke content management solutions, web apps, promotional games, integrated digital marketing strategies etc etc. I work as a marketing director at a university over here.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
It depends what field you are in, and then you have to strategically plan conferences, guest-lectures, sabbaticals if you want them in nice places and at good times of year. Its not all beer and skittles you know.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I worked for SAS-Digital (no longer in existence) Redzu (ditto), Epinet (ditto), and Freestyle New Media (we shared office space with Codemasters).

Most of my work was as a project manager and strategist. It was client specific work, rather than stuff for the general marketplace. Clients were national/multinational brands that needed web hosted marketing solutions and offline digital assets (DVD/CD Roms etc).

We built bespoke content management solutions, web apps, promotional games, integrated digital marketing strategies etc etc. I work as a marketing director at a university over here.
Did you ever work for Sunshine Desserts?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Did you ever work for Sunshine Desserts?
Wonder how he got where he is today?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Wonder how he got where he is today?
I bet he didn't get where he is today by sleeping with sweaty, Caledonian chefs.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I bet he didn't get where he is today by sleeping with sweaty, Caledonian chefs.
Few of us did. Are you the exception?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:15 pm

or having green frogs thrust down his crotch.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:24 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
or having green frogs thrust down his crotch.
....or smelling of Bolivian unicyclist's jockstraps.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Few of us did. Are you the exception?
I didn't get where I am today by being the exception.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.