Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Canada compared to uk

Cost of living in Canada compared to uk

Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:45 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Canada compared to uk

It certainly is (and always was) a volatile industry... were you in the Leamington Spa office with Codemasters?

Originally Posted by R I C H
I worked for SAS-Digital (no longer in existence) Redzu (ditto), Epinet (ditto), and Freestyle New Media (we shared office space with Codemasters).
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:33 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
It certainly is (and always was) a volatile industry... were you in the Leamington Spa office with Codemasters?
Yes, on the outskirts of Leamington.

Volatile's the right word - not knowing if the next pay cheque was going to arrive or not, endless meetings with venture capitalists, due diligence being carried out every quarter by some suitor or another, insecurity about whether there'd be enough work for everyone.... made for a stressful workplace. I'm not unhappy to be out of it.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I always enjoy your humourous and/or well informed and upbeat postings.
What would you know. I have been working in the games industry for over 10 years. What do you know about EA? Please share your knowledge with us.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
that's what I hear too.
Some of my former colleagues came from there. They always said that they'd never work for an EA studio ever again. Once you start moaning about overtime, they get tough on you saying that you aren't pulling your weight within the team. Their mentality is that you need them more than they need you and that you can easily be replaced.
Some non-EA companies are like this too back in England.

Last edited by SambaDeAmigo; Jan 27th 2010 at 1:16 am.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:41 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
What would you know. I have been working in the games industry for over 10 years. What do you know about EA? Please share your knowledge with us.
What do I know?

1) I expressed an opinion
2) I appear to have hit a nerve
3) You appear to have a massive chip on your shoulder
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:10 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Their mentality is that you need them more than they need you and that you can easily be replaced.
Well, they are probably right.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:25 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Yes, on the outskirts of Leamington.

Volatile's the right word - not knowing if the next pay cheque was going to arrive or not, endless meetings with venture capitalists, due diligence being carried out every quarter by some suitor or another, insecurity about whether there'd be enough work for everyone.... made for a stressful workplace. I'm not unhappy to be out of it.
I've heard similar stories to that many times, it was another reason why I was so put off to be honest and EA in particular are known for taking in new talent and then completely exploiting their skills and spirit over the course of a few years before they burn out their current staff and move on to the next set of poor inexpectant saps.

I think there is a blog online somewhere written by a few wives/girlfriends/ex's of games devs in the US in Canada and they don't paint a particularly nice picture.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:27 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
No they're not.

Assassin's Creed II, for example, has sold in the millions and who has received the largest bonus and promotion at Ubisoft Montreal? Not the poor fools who stayed in the office night after night to complete it on target but Jade Raymond for showing up at a few trade shows and being drooled over by sad games journalists.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Not at all. Many games companies are loyal to their employees and treat them right. Where I'm working now, 90% of the division were headhunted

Last edited by SambaDeAmigo; Jan 27th 2010 at 10:04 am.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:04 am
Sidecar Falcon

Not at all. Many games companies are loyal to their employees and treat them right. Where I'm working now, 90% of the division were headhunted
I've heard that 2K, Rockstar, Rare and Valve can all be fairly enjoyable to work for, I suppose with the added comfort, improved working conditions and less pressure usually comes a reduction in pay though.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:24 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
No they're not.

Assassin's Creed II, for example, has sold in the millions and who has received the largest bonus and promotion at Ubisoft Montreal? Not the poor fools who stayed in the office night after night to complete it on target but Jade Raymond for showing up at a few trade shows and being drooled over by sad games journalists.
Either way, even though i'm highly regarded within the organisation i work for, i'm under no illusion that the company cannot survive without me. I, and the vast majority of employees the world over, can be replaced and forgotten in a very short space of time with little or no lasting impact to the company. A company generally has no loyalty to its employees and to think otherwise would be naive.

Plus Jade Raymond is quite fit so deserves more bonus than the fat sweaty code monkeys she controls.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

I've heard that 2K, Rockstar, Rare and Valve can all be fairly enjoyable to work for, I suppose with the added comfort, improved working conditions and less pressure usually comes a reduction in pay though.
Not all Rockstar studios treat you the same. For e.g. R* San Diego is a having some issues on employee treatment at the moment. But in general, the ones in the UK treat employees well - free pop, nice bonuses, weekly pub outings during work hours, free goodies every week and free time off. Couldn't complain.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:29 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by el_richo
Either way, even though i'm highly regarded within the organisation i work for, i'm under no illusion that the company cannot survive without me. I, and the vast majority of employees the world over, can be replaced and forgotten in a very short space of time with little or no lasting impact to the company. A company generally has no loyalty to its employees and to think otherwise would be naive.

Plus Jade Raymond is quite fit so deserves more bonus than the fat sweaty code monkeys she controls.
Really, you think? I've never really found her that attractive, she had a huge mole on her face the last time that I saw her.

With regards to how quickly people can be replaced, I think that very often depends on how well things are documented internally. Those companies who don't carry well documented procedures and protocols are usually those who also struggle to carry on when their existing staff jump ship and one of those who believes that the code monkeys are usually the most important people to a business like that, it's just that some businesses are good at recruiting bastard managers who's main priority is to convince said code monkeys otherwise.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:29 am
Sidecar Falcon

Not all Rockstar studios treat you the same. For e.g. R* San Diego is a having some issues on employee treatment at the moment. But in general, the ones in the UK treat employees well - free pop, nice bonuses, weekly pub outings during work hours, free goodies every week and free time off. Couldn't complain.
Do you work for R* North then?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:32 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Really, you think? I've never really found her that attractive
Looks alright to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.