Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Canada compared to uk

Cost of living in Canada compared to uk

Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Canada compared to uk

Originally Posted by R I C H
+1 Here's one example of my experience that illustrates your point:

In the 90's I worked for a Govt. agency in the UK as a marketing manager. We employed IBM to maintain our website. IBM's contract supplied us with 4 staff, located at our site, plus external contractors. It cost over 1 million pounds p/yr to maintain the site in terms of infrastructure and staffing.

I wrote an RFP to look at alternative ways of resourcing and redeveloping the site. IBM lost the contract and I spent a third of the previous years budget implementing a content management system that all relevant agency staff could access to maintain their area of responsibility online. Apart from the reduced overhead, we gained additional office space that the IBM team used to occupy and more immediate publishing ability, rather than a lengthy process of submission and approval by IBM.

To suggest this is dumbing down is fatuous - it''s implementation of IT to assist processes and reduce cost, not to de-skill IT staff.
You didn't necassarily do a bad thing, big businesses like IBM, Fujitsu and Compaq thrive off those sorts of contracts and they then milk them for whatever they can get.

In their own way, I have found that those companies do actually drive the wage level down as well. Both Fujitsu and Atos operate not too far away from here and I know that I would much rather work directly for the government than I would for either of them and often the government could manage these things far better themselves if they employed the right staff which obviously, in your case, they did.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 26th 2010 at 4:50 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:48 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michelle101
I just wondered what peoples experiences were of cost of living in Canada compared to the UK in terms of groceries, utilities, insurance, eating out etc.

I know everything seems more expensive at the moment due to the bad exchange rate and my OH works in IT and I think the pay is lower in Canada. We're hoping to move to Vancouver.

Thanks for your help.
It evens out, some things are expensive some are cheaper.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:56 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't know anything much about games development. I do know that the industry is quite big in Vancouver and my comment was in that context.
I had a tour last week of EA Games in Burnaby - holy shit!! They have free cafeterias, that even serve beer (for free), 2 cinemas, an indoor basketball court, soccer pitch, volley ball (with sand imported from southern california of course). I'm surprised they get any work done.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by johnh009
This is what probably shapes people's opinions on this forum. I have always said that Canada can be the greatest place in the World if you get a government job, but, at the moment and the foreseeable future, those of us in the engineering/manufacturing sector in Ontario are seeing a completly different picture.
Of course. Perceptions of a place are influenced by much more tangible things than just a view of the mountains.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:02 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I had a tour last week of EA Games in Burnaby - holy shit!! They have free cafeterias, that even serve beer (for free), 2 cinemas, an indoor basketball court, soccer pitch, volley ball (with sand imported from southern california of course). I'm surprised they get any work done.
The companies I worked for in England had similar - chill out rooms for the over worked code monkeys (most of whom we had to kick out and send home at night), 'duvet days' for the poor souls that wanted the option to stay in bed some mornings, frisbee afternoons, pinball machines etc etc. Any bitching about salary was soon quashed when they were reminded about the cushy work environment they enjoyed.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Manchester doesn't pay too badly but retains a fairly reasonable cost of living, although I am deeply opposed to the level of council tax in this city since Manchester City Council are at best incompetent and at worst, extremely corrupt.
Beyond owning property, I don't find Vancouver that much more expensive than Manchester, other than beer and cheese of course,
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:07 pm

The companies I worked for in England had similar - chill out rooms for the over worked code monkeys (most of whom we had to kick out and send home at night), 'duvet days' for the poor souls that wanted the option to stay in bed some mornings, frisbee afternoons, pinball machines etc etc. Any bitching about salary was soon quashed when they were reminded about the cushy work environment they enjoyed.
we've got a gym and a microwave and a coffee machine......
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The places I've seen in the US with such facilities provide them because they don't expect the staff to leave the premises during the whole decade span of their careers.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are taking this a little too far. I wouldn't work in an environment that had low salaries justified by the existence of pinball machines or other ultimately worthless benefits - it's always about the money.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:14 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The places I've seen in the US with such facilities provide them because they don't expect the staff to leave the premises during the whole decade span of their careers.
And if you have more than one of the free beers - shock horror, probably get wheeled off to AA without pay....
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:23 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are taking this a little too far. I wouldn't work in an environment that had low salaries justified by the existence of pinball machines or other ultimately worthless benefits - it's always about the money.
I didn't say their salaries were low, or compensated for by such fripperies. They were paid market rates, but enjoyed fringe benefits far beyond what the majority of businesses would normally consider necessary, because they worked in 'IT'.

There was a prevalence of those sorts of quirky benefits being provided for a number of years, as businesses tried to out-do their competitors and attract the best staff, at a time when that industry (games development) was experiencing strong growth.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:28 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say their salaries were low, or compensated for by such fripperies. They were paid market rates, but enjoyed fringe benefits far beyond what the majority of businesses would normally consider necessary, because they worked in 'IT'.

There was a prevalence of those sorts of quirky benefits being provided for a number of years, as businesses tried to out-do their competitors and attract the best staff, at a time when that industry (games development) was experiencing strong growth.
The days of the dot com's were pretty much the same.

The developers that I know that earn the cash are those that understand the wider business they are in, for instance a developer with a financial or mathematics background can earn well above the average market rate in London say. I'm not sure what specific skills would put you at an advantage in Vancouver as other than gaming I don't really know what types development go on here (my feeling is that it's a bit of everything).
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

I know, its amazing. Our pal works there and showed us round. They apparently used to have dorms to encourage the staff to sleep there too!!!
I kept expecting some dude to be wandering about the corridors in his underpants scratching his giblets!
If you go in the summer, there are BBQ's out in the patio area, as well.
lns
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I did work in such an environment, a holiday company. In short, any time you had off work could be spent in a resort, end of project and birthday lunches were held in places such as Venice. The combination of benefits and relatively poor pay attracted a young, highly sexually active crowd unconcerned with their futures. I loved it.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Did they also tell you about over time and the 'work till you are close to death' policy?
EA is well known for this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.