Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Canada compared to uk

Cost of living in Canada compared to uk

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

michelle101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Canada compared to uk

I just wondered what peoples experiences were of cost of living in Canada compared to the UK in terms of groceries, utilities, insurance, eating out etc.

I know everything seems more expensive at the moment due to the bad exchange rate and my OH works in IT and I think the pay is lower in Canada. We're hoping to move to Vancouver.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:31 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Canada compared to uk

This has been discussed a lot in the past, if you use the search function at the top of the page you should be able to find some threads about it.

To sum up though I think most people find it all to be about the same in Canada as the UK. Some things are more expensive, other things are cheaper, it balances out.

Hope that helps
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

It depends...everyone is different in terms of spending habits...you will never really know until you start living here...Vancouver generally is an expensive place but compared to London UK it is on par on certain things...Yes exchange rate is rubbish at the moment...

MR79
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by michelle101
I just wondered what peoples experiences were of cost of living in Canada compared to the UK in terms of groceries, utilities, insurance, eating out etc.

I know everything seems more expensive at the moment due to the bad exchange rate and my OH works in IT and I think the pay is lower in Canada. We're hoping to move to Vancouver.

Thanks for your help.
BC = bring cash

I'd say on balance its about the same but it depends what you buy and where you get it from. I am currently living in the West Midlands, yetserday I went to sainsburys and completely filled my trolley as its the first time ive been since christmas, so stocked up an a few things, the bill was £130, I reckon it would have been at least $250-275CAD at sobeys in Winnipeg

So with the current exchange canada is a little more expensive. But Eating out is cheaper in canada.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 1:52 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I daresay the exchange rate is making things look a lot more expensive than it has in years. Throw in a real estate market that has not corrected, and its harldy an appealing move to vancouver.

As for wages, you have to compare industry to industry, some are higher some aint.

Here are some everyday costs off the top of my head (dollars):

Pint - 6-7
cinema 10-12
dvd rental 5
restaurant - huge variance here - but an excellent meal can be had for around 20 bucks (no booze of course)
litre of gas - around a buck or so
cable. internet phone - around 150
transit pass - 70
car insurance (average sedan) 1200 bucks (assuming no claims honored)
rent downtown - one bed around 1200 (principal bills included - no council tax)
rental parking spot = 50 bucks a month

I doubt that average Brit would be better off financially by moving here. I suspect, beyond housing costs, it's much the same. Taxes are similar.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 2:26 pm

elouisa presley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by michelle101

Thanks for your help.
same - you're no better off moving here and really carefully think about family you're leaving behind - can't replace that. We're returning to the buzz of the uk after 5 years of unsociable Canadians letting us down plus the 5 months of snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

you seem similiar to another poster on here who was going on about the same thing...cant remember the posters username......
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 2:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elouisa presley
same - you're no better off moving here and really carefully think about family you're leaving behind - can't replace that. We're returning to the buzz of the uk after 5 years of unsociable Canadians letting us down plus the 5 months of snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am intrigued as to why Canadians 'let you down'. What did Canadians promise you that they did not deliver?

Five days of snow in Abbotsford BC. As for family, we see more of them here than we did in the UK

As to whether one is better off, it rather depends what you are looking for. If finances are the motivator, then probably not.

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 22nd 2010 at 2:35 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 2:32 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elouisa presley
I seen about 2 days of snow here, not five months. Didn't you do your research?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

Anybody who comes here to get rich is probably making a mistake. As others have said, costs probably work out about the same overall as living in the UK. Our mortgage is cheaper but our car insurance is ridiculous - here we pay per month what we paid per year in the UK.

When we first thought about emigrating, the exchange rate was better than $2.5 to the pound and our money would have gone soooo much further. If only...
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 3:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grendel
Anybody who comes here to get rich is probably making a mistake.
Yeah, i fight like a ninja.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Anybody who comes here to get rich is probably making a mistake

Never say never.......
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

Originally Posted by el_richo
Yeah, i fight like a ninja.

Who doesn't love ninjas?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't recommend moving to Canada to improve your cost of living. I would recommend moving for a change in lifestyle, to adapt to a North American lifestyle. Those that embrace that lifestyle do well here. Those that resist and pine for a British lifestyle suffer and moan.

Vancouver is a lovely Pacific Rim city that embraces an active, outdoor lifestyle, but it's one of the most expensive cities in North America. Cost of living is more. Real estate is severely overvalued. However, it depends on what you're seeking. If you're willing to pay more money in exchange for a chance to live in an active environment where you can quickly access beaches, mountains, islands, and forests on a whim, fine. But Vancouver is the half way point between London and Hong Kong. It's also a city founded in 1886 so it lacks any sense of European history, or quick and cheap flights to large cities. Move to Vancouver to immerse yourself in a "west coast" lifestyle, but don't move here for cost of living purposes.

Eating out at restaurants, however, is fabulous. Vancouver has one of the better restaurant scenes in Canada and it's really affordable.

Last edited by Lychee; Jan 22nd 2010 at 4:12 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:04 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MR79
you seem similiar to another poster on here who was going on about the same thing...cant remember the posters username......
Originally Posted by dboy
I seen about 2 days of snow here, not five months. Didn't you do your research?
Guys its the lovely Jan the piglet, you remember her surely

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.