Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it cold in Canada?

Is it cold in Canada?

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:37 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it cold in Canada?

Originally Posted by Arielle
I have heard it is?

Ari
No, it's like Cuba.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

"They have to pay for health care, their son has to wait two years before he can be enroled in a state school. In the meantime they have to pay for private nursery care."

What a load of bunk! Mind you perhaps their son is 2 years old, in which case he would have to wait about two years before he can be enrolled in a state school. I guess they must go to school when they are 2 in England!!

I think its a good idea they do go back - just think how smart their kid will be by the time he is 5 if he has been going to school since he was 2.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:46 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purley
"They have to pay for health care, their son has to wait two years before he can be enroled in a state school. In the meantime they have to pay for private nursery care."

What a load of bunk! Mind you perhaps their son is 2 years old, in which case he would have to wait about two years before he can be enrolled in a state school. I guess they must go to school when they are 2 in England!!

I think its a good idea they do go back - just think how smart their kid will be by the time he is 5 if he has been going to school since he was 2.
Yeah I didn't get that one either Purl.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
They did some research on the net and had info from a couple of people who had taken up job offers. They thought they were ready for the move, but now regret the decision big time.

They have to pay for health care, their son has to wait two years before he can be enroled in a state school. In the meantime they have to pay for private nursery care. this was all free in the UK. they are also sick to the belly of the limited choice there is in the supermarket and the lack of an underground train service where they are. They had all of this at their convenience in London. They are now earning less, feel as though they are starting from scratch again, and now feel they have made a backwards move in life. They can't wait to get back and won't even consider another area of canada now. The cold is just too much for them !!! The only good thing to come out of this for them is to realise how much they really had going for them in the UK. They are going to move from the inner city to a quiet suburb when they get back.

I suppose Canada it is not for everyone.
Clearly they did very little research if they hadn't realised how cold it would be, that there would be no underground service where they would be living, that their wages would be less, etc, etc. Sounds as though they were thoroughly unprepared and are now unfortunately paying the price for that naivety. I can't believe they moved to a country with a young child without even researching healthcare and education!!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 3:15 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tangram
Yeah I didn't get that one either Purl.
Me neither.

I'm going to assume they moved to Edmonton so if the husband is working I find it unusual the employer wouldn't be paying the health care premiums (a moot point as of January 1st the Province has eliminated them)

Edmonton does have some part of it's LRT underground.

How old is said child?

What's wrong with paying for your own daycare?

I wonder what it is they're looking for in the Supermarkets? Most people from the UK seem to do just fine with the choices available.

In today's information age I find it amazing that some people can do something like emigrate with so little planning or foresight.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 3:23 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard it is?
What is your definition of cold?

Do you have some place specific in mind?

Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, Halifax, Calgary, Edmonton, Yellowknife, Vancouver, Regina?
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard it is?
Yes, it's very cold in the summer and extremely cold in the winter. I love it!

Canada has 4 seasons, nearly winter, winter, still winter, and not winter yet!

They did some research on the net and had info from a couple of people who had taken up job offers. They thought they were ready for the move, but now regret the decision big time.

They have to pay for health care, their son has to wait two years before he can be enroled in a state school. In the meantime they have to pay for private nursery care. this was all free in the UK. they are also sick to the belly of the limited choice there is in the supermarket and the lack of an underground train service where they are. They had all of this at their convenience in London. They are now earning less, feel as though they are starting from scratch again, and now feel they have made a backwards move in life. They can't wait to get back and won't even consider another area of canada now. The cold is just too much for them !!! The only good thing to come out of this for them is to realise how much they really had going for them in the UK. They are going to move from the inner city to a quiet suburb when they get back.
What research did they do on the net, as there are plenty of places where you can find information on Education, healthcare, transportation and weather. Stupidity is a lifestyle choice, not a medical condition.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Clearly they did very little research if they hadn't realised how cold it would be, that there would be no underground service where they would be living, that their wages would be less, etc, etc. Sounds as though they were thoroughly unprepared and are now unfortunately paying the price for that naivety. I can't believe they moved to a country with a young child without even researching healthcare and education!!
I do pity the child being dragged around just because their parents are naive or want to see the world.

There was another post before Christmas of a guy who's lived in 5 different countries in the last 5 years? who wants to emigrate from NZ with 2 small children.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578010

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 3rd 2009 at 3:29 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Yes, it's very cold in the summer and extremely cold in the winter. I love it!

Canada has 4 seasons, nearly winter, winter, still winter, and not winter yet!

What research did they do on the net, as there are plenty of places where you can find information on Education, healthcare, transportation and weather. Stupidity is a lifestyle choice, not a medical condition.

I do pity the child being dragged around just because their parents are naive or want to see the world.

There was another post before Christmas of a guy who's lived in 5 different countries in the last 5 years? who wants to emigrate from NZ with 2 small children.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...r /> t=578010
How did i miss that one thanks CH
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I guess they are implying that they get nursery vouchers for 3 and 4 year olds in UK, whereas they have to pay for nursery here?

I don't understand why some people don't work this all out beforehand....................
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard it is?
Wind-chill temperature is -48C at the moment; I think -53C was the lowest we got last winter. Was going to go out and shovel some snow but it's supposed to get up to -38C this afternoon so I'll probably wait a bit.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

rodeo star is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard it is?

Ari
Is this a joke?
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:21 pm

Rainey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Is it cold in Canada?

I suppose Canada it is not for everyone.
FFS what on earth........healthcare and childcare is not free in the UK.....what are they on........what the hell does NI pay for as regards to healthcare. Childcare is free if you are on certain benefits but only a proportion of it, and only if you are on min wage which being in London i find hard to believe. Before you slate me for this.......i am a cockney......thanks!!!! I could go on all day but i can't be bovvered.........best they do go back if that's how they feel. Canada is a fab country if a little cold but then they do hold the WINTER olympics here so that should have told them something.........
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:46 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

To the posts by pgtips:- LMAO.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

to put it in perspective. it was minus 24C or so here yesterday.. i debated on whether to put my gloves on or not.. decided not in the end.. but i did put a fleece on... about the same amount of clothing i would wear at +5 to +10c in the UK..

skiing at -15c the other day i got so hot i had to take my ski jacket off..

id take minus 40 and dry and sunny here any day over 0c and raining in the UK..
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
id take minus 40 and dry and sunny here any day over 0c and raining in the UK..
Seconded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.