Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

Old Apr 5th 2012, 5:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Are you turning Tory on us?
I went to a grammar school. It worked out very well for me and my brothers. As far as "opportunities for kids*" goes I'd rank it up there. *If they are smart enough to get in.

Selection based on merit, not available funds. That's not very Tory I dont think?
Old Apr 5th 2012, 5:25 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Depends, what kind of 'life and opportunities' you are after for your kids tbh, and also what kind of salary you'd have (I've no idea what a nurse or firefighter earns). If you're looking to stay away from the more expensive areas such as Surrey etc, then how about somewhere like Norfolk/Suffolk, Yorkshire or Worcestershire? They are more rural though, so not sure if that's what you're after, but generally free of the crime/yobs/etc that you seem to want to escape. And I've got to say, imo a hell of a lot nicer than Barrie which I believe is where you were looking at in Canada!

I grew up in Norfolk/Suffolk, still have family there and visit regularly. It's very nice in parts and the beer is a lot better than Canada.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 5:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
When were grammar schools anything else? Why did non-Torys do away with them? I thought current thinking is that all forms of selection is bad. "We are all in this together" etc.
I think actually it was originally handwringing liberal types trying to offer gifted poor kids opportunities for a better future to be honest. All the Tory kids were already sent off to private schools anyway

Political ideology certainly played a part in the destruction of the system, but lets face it, it was never perfect to start with. Im amazed its still survived on the Wirral and a few other outposts to honest.

I think where is went wrong though wasnt in how the grammar schools operated ,it was the scrapheaping of those that didnt pass the 11+ in some god awful secondary modern schools.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 3:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcat2010

And there is next to no nursing jobs. The nurses who are in jobs are overworked, underpaid and treated like sh#t
Sorry, wandered away from this thread. I think it pertinent to say that I have a daughter who's a nurse. She worked in Canada and then emigrated to the UK. She reports that working conditions aren't much different and from a distance that seems to be true. She still has lots of time off but now goes to the Canaries, Italy and Turkey instead of Honduras, Cuba and the US.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 11:20 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
Sorry, wandered away from this thread. I think it pertinent to say that I have a daughter who's a nurse. She worked in Canada and then emigrated to the UK. She reports that working conditions aren't much different and from a distance that seems to be true. She still has lots of time off but now goes to the Canaries, Italy and Turkey instead of Honduras, Cuba and the US.
But now on only half the pay!
Old Apr 6th 2012, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Depends, what kind of 'life and opportunities' you are after for your kids tbh..
In the short term. I am after an area / country that is more family friendly. Where the simple things in life such as the local park isnt a tired, rundown hole.
It would be nice to have a summer to be able to enjoy basic days out like this..

In the long term.
I am looking for an area / country that has more opportunities for my kids than the UK.
Canada is (quite obviously) a huge country. This would give my kids (and us) the opportunity to spread their wings.
Id like them to escape the chavvy / binge drinking culture that exists in nearly every city / town in the UK. (Yeah yeah I know Canada has alchohol blah blah )

The UK is (ive said it before) a overcrowded cesspit. Which by the time my daughters are 15 / 20years of age, is only going to be MUCH worse, due to the open door policy. ( for unskilled eastern Europeans / freeloaders... but thats another argument I suppose!)

Last edited by alcat2010; Apr 6th 2012 at 12:15 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Sats72 is an unknown quantity at this point

( for unskilled eastern Europeans / freeloaders... but thats another argument I suppose!)
Do you not see the irony in this. Here you are waffling on about immigrating to Canada for a better this, that and the other. Yet one of your reasons for escaping, is to get away from immigrants that are just seeking the same things you do.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 2:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is (quite obviously) a huge country. This would give my kids (and us) the opportunity to spread their wings.
Literally, yes, the size of the country allows them to become fatter than they ever could in the UK. Big trucks help with that too, more flesh can go in an F150 than in a Smart car.

Metaphorially, not so much. Suppose you move to a small town in Ontario, Barrie say, there's no public transport to speak of, so they're stuck at home or limited to the facilities within walking distance, until you buy them cars. The same may be true in Scotland but, south of England vs. small town Ontario, there's no comparison, there's massively more opportunity, educational, recreational and in terms of employment, in England.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 2:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by fletcher m
But now on only half the pay!
I'll ask but I don't have that impression. Take home pay in Canada depended on the availability of overtime as much as the published pay scales, I suppose that's much the same.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sats72
Do you not see the irony in this. Here you are waffling on about immigrating to Canada for a better this, that and the other. Yet one of your reasons for escaping, is to get away from immigrants that are just seeking the same things you do.

The last time I looked Canada hasn't got an open door policy where my wife and I are planning to exploit... to claim their benefits ?..

We would be emigrating through a skilled worker route. Filling a required gap in the workforce.. Contributing to the economy.

I don't mind a diverse society at all, just before you decide to suggest something else... I do however mind a country in which I raise my children in, awash with people who have migrated here, with next to no entry requirements.

This debate of course could go on and on. And its a political argument best saved for another time.

My basic point is I feel the UK is in a bit of dire straits, many rundown areas, low job opportunities, terrible border/ immigration rules etc. My non-educated and naieve opinion is Canada 'is better'...

"Waffle" over

Last edited by alcat2010; Apr 6th 2012 at 2:37 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The last time I looked Canada hasn't got an open door policy where my wife and I are planning to exploit... to claim their benefits ?..

We would be emigrating through a skilled worker route. Filling a required gap in the workforce.. Contributing to the economy.

I don't mind a diverse society at all, just before you decide to suggest something else... I do however mind a country in which I raise my children in, awash with people who have migrated here, with next to no entry requirements.

This debate of course could go on and on. And its a political argument best saved for another time.

My basic point is I feel the UK is in a bit of dire straits, many rundown areas, low job opportunities, terrible border/ immigration rules etc. My non-educated and naieve opinion is Canada 'is better'...

"Waffle" over
More than 50% of the population of Toronto was born outside Canada. The UK doesn't have immigration at anything like that level. Really, if you don't like immigrants, you don't want to go to Canada.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Errr yes we do its called claiming refugee status
True after several years of appeals and if found not to be credible then they can be removed but in that time frame they have given birth to many children so they use them for H & C grounds to stay and in some cases its granted as we believe in the rights of children and whats best for them.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 4:45 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

In the short term. I am after an area / country that is more family friendly. Where the simple things in life such as the local park isnt a tired, rundown hole.
It would be nice to have a summer to be able to enjoy basic days out like this..

In the long term.
I am looking for an area / country that has more opportunities for my kids than the UK.
Id like them to escape the chavvy / binge drinking culture that exists in nearly every city / town in the UK. (Yeah yeah I know Canada has alchohol blah blah )

The UK is (ive said it before) a overcrowded cesspit. Which by the time my daughters are 15 / 20years of age, is only going to be MUCH worse, due to the open door policy. ( for unskilled eastern Europeans / freeloaders... but thats another argument I suppose!)

"Waffle" over
I truly do wish you lots of luck with your decisions. I strongly believe that your thought process could easily lead to disappointment but sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees.

Just make sure you don't spend too much time dwelling on things that will probably not impact you and your family at all because you'll never get that back. As I said previously, millions of happy and content people in both countries can't all be wrong.

You've made your mind up and now begins the self affirmation period where all is bad where you are and Canada is salvation. I think that's human nature to a point so is understandable. Just make sure expectations are realistic, which at the moment I think are a little off.

Good luck
Old Apr 6th 2012, 7:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is (ive said it before) a overcrowded cesspit.
You've said yourself that you haven't travelled much in the UK. Certainly the UK you describe is not one I recognise - but then I live in a lovely area, with no 'yobs', no crime that I've ever encountered (the only time I've ever been a victim of crime was in Canada), and delightful parks! I also live in a rural location, which is definitely not overcrowded (unless you count by pheasants, deer or guinea fowl) and our local village has a great community spirit, so that probably helps.

My point being that you seem to be trying to escape the part of the UK that you are currently in, but you could do so easier and cheaper by moving within the UK. Move because you love Canada and want to live in that country, not because of the perceived negatives of the one you're leaving behind - imo that's a recipe for disappointment.

Good luck with it all.