Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, off we go, ....
A quiet morning in Rexdale then? Tell it like it or isn't, I always say.

I'm flexible.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I think the main thing people are missing or don't take into account when thinking about emigrating is most Canadians don't want you here. You aren't going to charm them and you certainly aren't going to wow them with your 'cute accent'. Unless you get an amazingly high paying job, the life of an immigrant is not very pleasant.
Pretty much sums it up!
Old Apr 1st 2012, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Well, off we go, 121 people were murdered in Rexdale this morning, including a paddy wagon load of tourists from the DTES, they were visiting due to the oxycontin shortage out west. 120 were shot while 2 were stabbed and 1 beaten to death with a rolling pin (note that in 2 cases people were killed multiple times). Meanwhile, in Glasgow, of the 100 people killed before lunch, 85 were glassed until gushing, while 5 were stabbed. And we can find the statistics for the previous week and we can dispute the comparison on the basis of one country only counting people who are deader than is required to be dead in the other country and we can say that it's nicer to be shot than glassed but death is more likely in a gun crazy country like Canada while life ruining injuries are more likely in the land of the Glasgae kiss.

But, there's no ****ing point. Below a certain level it doesn't matter than it's marginally worse to live in a Brazilian slum than an Indian one, it's all hell and no one can choose to move from one to the other. People who live in the worst bits of anywhere are not likely to be able to move to Canada so they're never going to find out that life in Rexdale or at Dundas and Sherbourne is equally shit as the life they left. We're not them, obviously we're not them, we're able to write things and put them on the internet, so the "I can see worse things on the wrong side of my tracks than you can across yours" argument is just a inverted version of "my kid's in a more honorery honor program than yours".
That was super. Anyway, I have lived in Glasgow and Toronto so I'm able to make some comparisons. If the op was looking for comparisons of Liverpool, Birmingham or London with Guelph, Calgary or Vancouver, I wouldn't comment as I haven't spent any real time in any of them.

Brazilian and Indian slums! Your'e making me laugh again.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Well, off we go, 121 people were murdered in Rexdale this morning, including a paddy wagon load of tourists from the DTES, they were visiting due to the oxycontin shortage out west. 120 were shot while 2 were stabbed and 1 beaten to death with a rolling pin (note that in 2 cases people were killed multiple times). Meanwhile, in Glasgow, of the 100 people killed before lunch, 85 were glassed until gushing, while 5 were stabbed. And we can find the statistics for the previous week and we can dispute the comparison on the basis of one country only counting people who are deader than is required to be dead in the other country and we can say that it's nicer to be shot than glassed but death is more likely in a gun crazy country like Canada while life ruining injuries are more likely in the land of the Glasgae kiss.

But, there's no ****ing point. Below a certain level it doesn't matter than it's marginally worse to live in a Brazilian slum than an Indian one, it's all hell and no one can choose to move from one to the other. People who live in the worst bits of anywhere are not likely to be able to move to Canada so they're never going to find out that life in Rexdale or at Dundas and Sherbourne is equally shit as the life they left. We're not them, obviously we're not them, we're able to write things and put them on the internet, so the "I can see worse things on the wrong side of my tracks than you can across yours" argument is just a inverted version of "my kid's in a more honorery honor program than yours".

I get your point, in that its useless for people to start a 'tit for tat' contest saying "my area is worse than your area"

But my wife and I cant get out of our heads that the driving force behind our attempts at immigration is because there IS alot more tired / rundown areas in Glasgow and most Scottish town/cities... than in Canada..

Its easier to avoid (I sound snobby I know ) these areas and problems in Canada is it not??

Scotland is a tiny assed country with alot of deep rooted social problems, and an aggressive mentality that is ingrained in the psyche...

The 'aggressiveness' is not only the dafties in the pubs thinking there hardnuts, its not only the cheeky wee b#stards in the street thinking theyre wannabe gangsters, its also taught and copied by young kids playing football in the street..

Basically what im trying to say is it is easier to avoid (I sound snobby I know ) these areas in Canada is it not???
Old Apr 5th 2012, 8:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcat2010
I get your point, in that its useless for people to start a 'tit for tat' contest saying "my area is worse than your area"

But my wife and I cant get out of our heads that the driving force behind our attempts at immigration is because there IS alot more tired / rundown areas in Glasgow and most Scottish town/cities... than in Canada..

Its easier to avoid (I sound snobby I know ) these areas and problems in Canada is it not??

Scotland is a tiny assed country with alot of deep rooted social problems, and an aggressive mentality that is ingrained in the psyche...

The 'aggressiveness' is not only the dafties in the pubs thinking there hardnuts, its not only the cheeky wee b#stards in the street thinking theyre wannabe gangsters, its also taught and copied by young kids playing football in the street..

Basically what im trying to say is it is easier to avoid (I sound snobby I know ) these areas in Canada is it not???
So, out of interest, why not move away from Glasgow but to a nicer part of the UK? Is that an option, or is it Canada or staying put?
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So, out of interest, why not move away from Glasgow but to a nicer part of the UK? Is that an option, or is it Canada or staying put?
I appreciate what you're getting at. But in my opinion, and feel free to disagree of course.. is that the UK as a whole is a bit of a pit.. yep I said it.

It's a tiny island, which is overcrowded. Not helped by our governments attitude to opening the floodgates with the rules of being part of the EU..

And there is next to no nursing jobs. The nurses who are in jobs are overworked, underpaid and treated like sh#t

Again my main point is, its harder to avoid the 'holes' in the UK than it is in canada... correct me if I'm wrong on that point...
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Again my main point is, its harder to avoid the 'holes' in the UK than it is in canada... correct me if I'm wrong on that point...
No, I do agree with that. I think that if you have enough money to live in a nice part of the UK then it's an amazing country to be in (and far from a 'pit' in those parts) but there are definitely some awful parts too.

But I was just wondering about whether you'd looked at other areas of the UK which would save spending so much on an international move that you don't seem 100% sure about? But if nursing isn't a good career in the UK (I've no idea on that), then it may well be worth it.

Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:08 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

I appreciate what you're getting at. But in my opinion, and feel free to disagree of course.. is that the UK as a whole is a bit of a pit.. yep I said it.

It's a tiny island, which is overcrowded. Not helped by our governments attitude to opening the floodgates with the rules of being part of the EU..

And there is next to no nursing jobs. The nurses who are in jobs are overworked, underpaid and treated like sh#t

I agree, but don't expect many to...
Knock the UK and it is a open door to abuse on this forum.
It won't be utopia in Canada, it will be different, not a lot, but different.
Apparently, they have crime in Canada.

Anyway, how is your application proceeding, getting near ready to submit? Have you redone the police checks?fletch
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, I do agree with that. I think that if you have enough money to live in a nice part of the UK then it's an amazing country to be in (and far from a 'pit' in those parts) but there are definitely some awful parts too.

But I was just wondering about whether you'd looked at other areas of the UK which would save spending so much on an international move that you don't seem 100% sure about? But if nursing isn't a good career in the UK (I've no idea on that), then it may well be worth it.

Yes the UK has good points. If I squint real hard and think of them, then as iv said before we could have a stable enough standard of living here.

Of course it has affluent areas, but again in my opinion... very scarce. And realistically, for most moderatley paid people / families, unaccessable.

The wages of a firefighter and a nurse (with 2 kids) its very unlikely they wages are going to get them living in an area that isnt spitting distance to a council 'scheme' thats full of eegits!

Where in the UK would you suggest? I'l be completely honest, im not too well travelled in england..
Been to London a few times.. no thanks.
Been to Leicester a few times... nah no thanks
Swindon.... nope
Bournemouth... ....
Blackpool?...

never been to wales..
Northen Ireland?

Im genuinely intrigued where you feel would be on a par with canada. That would give us and our kids the life and opportunities we think are available.

If im delusional (im sure most will think I am )
then please show me the light!...

Last edited by alcat2010; Apr 5th 2012 at 2:00 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fletcher m
I agree, but don't expect many to...
Knock the UK and it is a open door to abuse on this forum.
It won't be utopia in Canada, it will be different, not a lot, but different.
Apparently, they have crime in Canada.

Anyway, how is your application proceeding, getting near ready to submit? Have you redone the police checks?fletch
Aye well, Im a big boy I can take a bit of ribbing.
Im in the mood today anyway!!

Application is plodding along. We just had our 2nd baby (wee girl) so was sidetracked a little ha.

police checks are just about to be sent. To OZ and uk
Old Apr 5th 2012, 2:03 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the UK has good points. If I squint real hard and think of them, then as iv said before we could have a stable enough standard of living here.

Of course it has affluent areas, but again in my opinion... very scarce. And realistically, for most moderatley paid people / families, unaccessable.

The wages of a firefighter and a nurse (with 2 kids) its very unlikely they wages are going to get them living in an area that isnt spitting distance to a council 'scheme' thats full of eegits!

Where in the UK would you suggest? I'l be completely honest, im not too well travelled in engurland..
Been to London a few times.. no thanks.
Been to Leicester a few times... nah no thanks
Swindon.... nope
Bournemouth... ....
Blackpool?...

never been to wales..
Northen Ireland?

Im genuinely intrigued where you feel would be on a par with canada. That would give us and our kids the life and opportunities we think are available.

If im delusional (im sure most will think I am )
then please show me the light!...
CAnt say I waded through the thread to check out what it is you think you are looking for.

If as you say you havent travelled much in the UK then maybe you should go explore other parts before you dismiss it. If nothing else its a lot easier and convenient to do. Nursing and Firefighting are at least pretty universally required skills.

If I were to return to the UK then I would probably head back to either Norfolk (Relatively low cost, Less Rushed, Higher Quality of life) or Cheshire/ Wirral (Quality of life AND selective grammar schools), but thats just me. Where my one brother lives in Surrey is very nice, but its costly. My other brother in Fife has it pretty nice as far as I can see. But if what you really want is to ski after work in the winter, then the UK is going to present some problems.

There a lot to be said for the idea of assessing exactly what it is you want in life and putting a good effort into finding it more locally.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 5th 2012 at 2:13 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 2:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Depends, what kind of 'life and opportunities' you are after for your kids tbh, and also what kind of salary you'd have (I've no idea what a nurse or firefighter earns). If you're looking to stay away from the more expensive areas such as Surrey etc, then how about somewhere like Norfolk/Suffolk, Yorkshire or Worcestershire? They are more rural though, so not sure if that's what you're after, but generally free of the crime/yobs/etc that you seem to want to escape. And I've got to say, imo a hell of a lot nicer than Barrie which I believe is where you were looking at in Canada!

JMO though, and without knowing you and your family it's v hard to say. But as Iaink has wisely suggested, it may be worth looking a bit further afield in the UK to see if you can get the lifestyle you're after without spending so much money and moving so far away from friends/family/everything that is familiar.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 5th 2012 at 2:10 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 2:44 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Aye well, Im a big boy I can take a bit of ribbing.
Im in the mood today anyway!!

Application is plodding along. We just had our 2nd baby (wee girl) so was sidetracked a little ha.

police checks are just about to be sent. To OZ and uk
Congratulations. Chuffed for you all. I hope al partys are well.fletch
Old Apr 5th 2012, 2:46 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I know you're not heading this way but in Vancouver, check out Hallway Nursing to read about many places being overcrowded with nurses being overworked and treated like shit.

I have a few nurse friends who complain about work constantly

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-contract.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/You...925/story.html

In my opinion, you need to forget about why you're running away from the UK and stop taking onboard the media spin. You need to concentrate on what you want out of Canada and make sure it matches reality. Invest time and money visiting each place. Visit hospitals for your wife to talk with other nurses.

Think of this. Millions of people living happily in both countrys can't all be wrong.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
CAnt say I waded through the thread to check out what it is you think you are looking for.

If as you say you havent travelled much in the UK then maybe you should go explore other parts before you dismiss it. If nothing else its a lot easier and convenient to do. Nursing and Firefighting are at least pretty universally required skills.

If I were to return to the UK then I would probably head back to either Norfolk (Relatively low cost, Less Rushed, Higher Quality of life) or Cheshire/ Wirral (Quality of life AND selective grammar schools), but thats just me. Where my one brother lives in Surrey is very nice, but its costly. My other brother in Fife has it pretty nice as far as I can see. But if what you really want is to ski after work in the winter, then the UK is going to present some problems.

There a lot to be said for the idea of assessing exactly what it is you want in life and putting a good effort into finding it more locally.
Are you turning Tory on us?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.