Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:23 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of
Default Re: Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

Originally Posted by el_richo
You do realize the distance, right? It would be quicker to fly from the UK to Calgary if you wanted to drive out to see the Rockies
Like I said about some smart arse, and there he is...
AB is not on the itinerary.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:30 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

But that's just moving to canada for no reason and the expense and upheaval of a family with kids in tow could be a huge risk.

I personally don't see the point in going through the financial hit, emotional strain, and huge risks, without a clear vision that includes a better or equally enjoyable standard of living. Especially with a family.

Crap analogy but; if you were desperate to marry a blonde Yorkshireman would you just marry the first one you met on the first date so you can calmly look for a more suitable husband at your leisure, even though your current hubby is a bit shit and makes you unhappy?

Or would you gain a clear vision and understanding of what attributes you want, what you want out of the marriage, then invest time and money finding what appears to be right, going out on dates to learn more seeing if it's the right fit for you, etc etc etc.
Funnily enough, I am married to a blonde Yorkshireman and he is the first one of those that I met!
Luckily, I didn't have anything to compare him to and we have been happily married for over 17 years.

on topic -
It isn't moving to Canada for no reason.

We identified what we wanted in terms of lifestyle and then researched if Canada could give us that, as you describe.

We realised through our research that many areas might have the potential to fulfil our criteria but also that there was no real way to find out from the UK which one of the short-list was the best job opportunity or the best location to live for us.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
No-one can know what will happen on the job front particularly and what may look like a great opportunity may turn out to be a duffer.

We did not expect to fulfil all our criteria immediately upon arriving so we chose what looked like the best option at the time and were willing to use that as a stepping stone to greater things if it didn't turn out to be the place of our dreams.

I think that some of the disasters we see on here are directly caused by immigrants who want it all and want it right away.

Things take time when you immigrate and whatever isn't right when you get here you can fix as long as you have the essential elements in place that you identified through research.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think the main thing people are missing or don't take into account when thinking about emigrating is most Canadians don't want you here. You aren't going to charm them and you certainly aren't going to wow them with your 'cute accent'. Unless you get an amazingly high paying job, the life of an immigrant is not very pleasant.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oink
I think the main thing people are missing or don't take into account when thinking about emigrating is most Canadians don't want you here. You aren't going to charm them and you certainly aren't going to wow them with your 'cute accent'. Unless you get an amazingly high paying job, the life of an immigrant is not very pleasant.
Very unpleasant ,been there done that and honestly it has sucked
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:40 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
How much does he earn?
He's a truck driver so is on the poverty line
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:42 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

I am the truck driver, OP is a fireman, keep with the program.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:42 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Like I said about some smart arse, and there he is...
AB is not on the itinerary.
Then you have a hell of a long drive to see them in BC

Just be happy with the coastal mountains. You'll probably not see much difference
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear. How big is his prick?
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:43 pm
Banned

Then you have a hell of a long drive to see them in BC

Just be happy with the coastal mountains. You'll probably not see much difference
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:44 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by fletcher m
I am the truck driver, OP is a fireman, keep with the program.
I know
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:45 pm
Beep

Oh dear. How big is his prick?
Not big enough to see it past his belly
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not big enough to see it past his belly
In these reduced circumstances your crap analogy was even crappier than crap.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:56 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by helcat12
Funnily enough, I am married to a blonde Yorkshireman and he is the first one of those that I met!
Luckily, I didn't have anything to compare him to and we have been happily married for over 17 years.

on topic -
It isn't moving to Canada for no reason.

We identified what we wanted in terms of lifestyle and then researched if Canada could give us that, as you describe.

We realised through our research that many areas might have the potential to fulfil our criteria but also that there was no real way to find out from the UK which one of the short-list was the best job opportunity or the best location to live for us.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
No-one can know what will happen on the job front particularly and what may look like a great opportunity may turn out to be a duffer.

We did not expect to fulfil all our criteria immediately upon arriving so we chose what looked like the best option at the time and were willing to use that as a stepping stone to greater things if it didn't turn out to be the place of our dreams.

I think that some of the disasters we see on here are directly caused by immigrants who want it all and want it right away.

Things take time when you immigrate and whatever isn't right when you get here you can fix as long as you have the essential elements in place that you identified through research.
You don't have a family and was in the position to have your hubby try before you buy as it were. Very different in my opinion.

I just don't see the point in potentially moving somewhere that may lead to another move and more research and job hunting after a short while. You may as well invest your time and money as smartly as possible and be as realistic as possible. Know exactly what you need to make the move a success, then add all the wants into it. Clearly understand the deal breakers and know When to walk away.

Don't just move to Canada for the sake of moving to Canada. Especially when indecision has more weight than decision.

All my opinion of course.

Maybe, for example, the OP would arrive in Barrie following a job and love the place. Who knows

They'll only know for sure after they move
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:57 pm
Beep

In these reduced circumstances your crap analogy was even crappier than crap.
+1
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Rexdale is not as bad as some areas of Glasgow.
Well, off we go, 121 people were murdered in Rexdale this morning, including a paddy wagon load of tourists from the DTES, they were visiting due to the oxycontin shortage out west. 120 were shot while 2 were stabbed and 1 beaten to death with a rolling pin (note that in 2 cases people were killed multiple times). Meanwhile, in Glasgow, of the 100 people killed before lunch, 85 were glassed until gushing, while 5 were stabbed. And we can find the statistics for the previous week and we can dispute the comparison on the basis of one country only counting people who are deader than is required to be dead in the other country and we can say that it's nicer to be shot than glassed but death is more likely in a gun crazy country like Canada while life ruining injuries are more likely in the land of the Glasgae kiss.

But, there's no ****ing point. Below a certain level it doesn't matter than it's marginally worse to live in a Brazilian slum than an Indian one, it's all hell and no one can choose to move from one to the other. People who live in the worst bits of anywhere are not likely to be able to move to Canada so they're never going to find out that life in Rexdale or at Dundas and Sherbourne is equally shit as the life they left. We're not them, obviously we're not them, we're able to write things and put them on the internet, so the "I can see worse things on the wrong side of my tracks than you can across yours" argument is just a inverted version of "my kid's in a more honorery honor program than yours".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.