Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

Old Mar 31st 2012, 2:49 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

My focus initially will always be on good jobs. But no point in having a great job if its in an area thats no better than clydebank/ Glasgow!

I really can't think of any part of the GTA that isn't better than Clydebank/Glasgow.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 3:00 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcat2010
And then, if we find all this in a place 'on paper'... we wont actuallt know if the general environment is better than here?... I'm thinking it wouldn't be hard!
You didn't have to answer each point, they were thoughts on what you need to ask yourselves.

Analysis paralysis and having no real life clue as to why you want to move to Canada is your main problem.

The problem is, you'll never know whether is better or not until you live there (wherever you choose).

Is living with beautiful scenery and a larger house worth "losing" family or friends?

Are you ok to have little midges replaced with ****ing horrible biting black flies taking chunks out of your family during the summer, or having to stay out of the garden for mozzies.

Are you willing to gamble $10k's of your hard earned cash, and quit your good secure jobs, to see whether the reality of living in Canada is no better that what you can get in the UK, just different?

As for areas to live, your answers earlier narrows it down considerably. Now just Narrow them down further via interweb research then jump on a plane and get to as many places as possible for a few weeks or so.

Think of your return on investment over the rest of your life.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

As far as im aware, nurses have only reached their cap for 2011. New list in July obviously, but havent heard any news on them being off the list?

My focus initially will always be on good jobs. But no point in having a great job if its in an area thats no better than clydebank/ Glasgow!

You're from sunny Scotland mate, you've posted before the negatives about this place that we would like to live without, you've also lived in Toronto.
It's a question that is varied to personal opinions.. but is it really better? The general condition of the areas, the 'standard' and mentality of the people ( its hard to explain what I mean with that...)
I don't know anywhere in Ontario that can be likened to Clydebank. Same goes for Cumbernauld. Thing is though, have you lived anywhere else for some time? After a while, the novelty wears off and the things that matter a lot suddenly become really important. As El Richo said before, for many, Canada is not better - just different. Others will tell you different though, I've met many expats who have no regrets at all. Proud to be originally from Scotland or England but equally affectionate of Canada. It's all about personal experience and opinions.

Don't underestimate the draw of family. When you are far away from a family member who is ill, it can be very upsetting. Or, even to miss a wedding or a special birthday can set you off on a downer.

Diversity is a strange one too. In particular, Toronto is described as being diverse but the truth is that Toronto wants to be diverse but many of it's dweller's don't. Different nationalities have clumped together to call that part their own.

In my opinion, the work ethic is far stronger too than what you will be used to and it does take a while to normalise within it. I would also say that for people who are driven to succeed, there are more opportunities there. Benefits are not handed out anywhere near as easily as the UK either. For the most part, in order to be entitled to a benefit, you will have to be earning and the benefit will be rewarded to you in the form of a tax credit.

Using my experience within Ontario, I would say it's a much better place to raise kids than the west of Scotland. Many people on here have, quite rightly, posted that it shouldn't be all about "for the sake of our kids" but I believe there's a greater opportunity for children to develop and flourish there. I'm aware that there's a drug problem in Canada too but there's nowhere near the same underage drinking problem as we have in Scotland.

There may be undesirable places to live in Ontario, but nothing like the crumbling post war and ex local authority housing schemes rotting all over the Central belt of Scotland. I laugh out loud when expat members call Brampton or Barrie undesirable places to live. I guess it's all about what you have experienced.

I can fully understand why you want to move to Canada. I'm not sure how you're going to achieve it though, or should I say do it without having regrets later. That could be the tough part for a couple who have very good jobs already.

I'm going through the process of returning right now. If you have any questions, fire away.

Tony.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

F##kin bingo! There isn't anything to focus on.
Maybe if it was right for you, there would be.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 3:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Maybe if it was right for you, there would be.
+1
Old Mar 31st 2012, 4:06 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, alcat, if you are looking for some way to know which is the right place while still in the UK, you are not going to find it.

Go somewhere you can get a job initially and then think about it.

Many Expats come to Canada to one area because of their first job and then move elsewhere when they have had time to establish themselves, reflect on their desires and look around calmly.

There is no way to ensure you will be in the perfect place right at the outset.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 4:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
There may be undesirable places to live in Ontario, but nothing like the crumbling post war and ex local authority housing schemes rotting all over the Central belt of Scotland. I laugh out loud when expat members call Brampton or Barrie undesirable places to live. I guess it's all about what you have experienced.
I think it fair to say that Brampton and Barrie are undesirable places to live. I accept that Scotland may be worse, indeed I understand from the posts on this thread that Scotland looks like Rexdale, which is certainly worse. It's a wonder anyone's alive to emigrate from Scotland.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 4:13 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think it fair to say that Brampton and Barrie are undesirable places to live. I accept that Scotland may be worse, indeed I understand from the posts on this thread that Scotland looks like Rexdale, which is certainly worse. It's a wonder anyone's alive to emigrate from Scotland.
haha
Old Mar 31st 2012, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Rexdale is not as bad as some areas of Glasgow. Scotland is a beautiful country. The parts where no-one lives.

I've read all the posts about Brampton and Barrie. I've been there and I even stayed in a hotel for a week on Queen Street East. It's not wonderful but again, for me, not that bad. However, your argument of how undesirable they are deemed, is backed up by house values there.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 4:41 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

As someone pointed out recently, you can't eat scenery.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 5:14 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

I will tell you how we came to the decision of VI, hoping that this will give to a place to start.

We knew we wanted the rockies, yes, they are a massive obsticle if you wish to travel, but we wanted the mountains AB or BC?

We looked at employment ops in both Provs and both looked promising, therefore we applied for registration with CARNA and CRNBC. Assessments done, CARNA required a little more education in some areas, therefore, like water finds the easiest route, we decided on BC.

Massive prov, where in BC? Work everywhere, freezing north, mild warm south, South chosen- no brainer.

How much does a nice house with access to the sea cost? Vancouver - too much, Victoria pretty expensive, just outside victoria, fairly reasonable. Fairly reasonable chosen if we can find work?

Checked with VIHA, loads of jobs in Victoria and in other places too if Vic doesn't trip our switches. Are/is there uni's nearby for the kids? yes, is there employment ops for me and the kids as they get older, yes! Just outside Vic will do then.

Recce to see the island in some detail this summer (Sept), another quick look around vancouver, just to be sure....

If it does not work out, bugger! We will just accept that it is not to be. Move house, buy that new car i have been promising myself and have been putting on hold for a year so far, and, to hell with Canada.

We dreamt, we tried, perhaps we will fail, you only live once. New house and a new car is not so bad if it turns to SH!!.

before some smart arse says the rockies are not on VI, we can see them if we want to, they will be close enough. fletch
Old Mar 31st 2012, 5:54 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by fletcher m

before some smart arse says the rockies are not on VI, we can see them if we want to, they will be close enough. fletch
You do realize the distance, right? It would be quicker to fly from the UK to Calgary if you wanted to drive out to see the Rockies
Old Mar 31st 2012, 6:08 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by helcat12
Honestly, alcat, if you are looking for some way to know which is the right place while still in the UK, you are not going to find it.

Go somewhere you can get a job initially and then think about it.

Many Expats come to Canada to one area because of their first job and then move elsewhere when they have had time to establish themselves, reflect on their desires and look around calmly.

There is no way to ensure you will be in the perfect place right at the outset.
But that's just moving to canada for no reason and the expense and upheaval of a family with kids in tow could be a huge risk.

I personally don't see the point in going through the financial hit, emotional strain, and huge risks, without a clear vision that includes a better or equally enjoyable standard of living. Especially with a family.

Crap analogy but; if you were desperate to marry a blonde Yorkshireman would you just marry the first one you met on the first date so you can calmly look for a more suitable husband at your leisure, even though your current hubby is a bit shit and makes you unhappy?

Or would you gain a clear vision and understanding of what attributes you want, what you want out of the marriage, then invest time and money finding what appears to be right, going out on dates to learn more seeing if it's the right fit for you, etc etc etc.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo

Crap analogy but; if you were desperate to marry a blonde Yorkshireman would you just marry the first one you met on the first date so you can calmly look for a more suitable husband at your leisure, even though your current hubby is a bit shit and makes you unhappy?
How much does he earn?
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:19 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by el_richo
But that's just moving to canada for no reason and the expense and upheaval of a family with kids in tow could be a huge risk.

I personally don't see the point in going through the financial hit, emotional strain, and huge risks, without a clear vision that includes a better or equally enjoyable standard of living. Especially with a family.

Or would you gain a clear vision and understanding of what attributes you want, what you want out of the marriage, then invest time and money finding what appears to be right, going out on dates to learn more seeing if it's the right fit for you, etc etc etc.
How about a blond canadian woman, that would tick all the boxes....hold on for a year and Bingo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.