Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

Old Mar 31st 2012, 6:46 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing an area.. Where to start?!

Personally, my realistic research would go like this (high level):
  1. Decide why I believe i want to move to Canada
  2. Decide what lifestyle I want out of the move
  3. Decide on the type of weather I would be happy living with year after year
  4. Narrow down options based on above
  5. Visit as many of the places short listed
  6. Reevaluate whether the move is right
  7. If no, repeat points 2 through 5 within the UK
  8. If yes, short list further based on physical research in point 5
  9. Look for work based in or around the areas short listed.
  10. Move where job offer is based
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:05 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
My thoughts are - if I couldn't get a decent job in a place that actually appeals to me and offers a better standard of living or longer term prospects, I wouldn't bother emigrating. The pay-offs need to be pretty alluring to make the upheaval, expense and risk worth while.
+1
Old Mar 31st 2012, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by el_richo
Personally, my realistic research would go like this (high level):
  1. Decide why I believe i want to move to Canada
  2. Decide what lifestyle I want out of the move
  3. Decide on the type of weather I would be happy living with year after year
  4. Narrow down options based on above
  5. Visit as many of the places short listed
  6. Reevaluate whether the move is right
  7. If no, repeat points 2 through 5 within the UK
  8. If yes, short list further based on physical research in point 5
  9. Look for work based in or around the areas short listed.
  10. Move where job offer is based
Good advice. This is something that I had in mind.

As ive said we have chosen to focus on Ontario mainly due to the amount of choice of cities / towns.

This can be looked at as a positive or a tick in the Canada box compared to Scotland. As realistically there is only 2 - maybe 3 main cities to choose from.. = less scope in terms of career movement etc

But again, as there is so many places to choose from its a bit overwhelmig.

My thinking is, IF IF IF we get a PR visa through fed skilled worker route, then we have the whole province / country open to us. (my wife and myself)

I would rather research and choose my top destinations (ones which tick all the boxes and would give us 'the life' we want)
Instead of relying on finding the job first... than hoping the area is suitable and fits into place?

Again the main point of the thread is to work out how to do this process of choosing where to research.
Do I get a map, close my eyes and pick wherever the finger points to ?!

Im sure this dilema has been met by many immigrants

Last edited by alcat2010; Mar 31st 2012 at 8:40 am.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

My thoughts are - if I couldn't get a decent job in a place that actually appeals to me and offers a better standard of living or longer term prospects, I wouldn't bother emigrating. The pay-offs need to be pretty alluring to make the upheaval, expense and risk worth while.
I fully agree. We wont be going anywhere if the jobs are not in place.
Simple as that.

Basically our dilemma is actually getting that job.

Its really (obviously) not that easy when based in the UK.

We have a couple of options, but are in no way reliable or guaranteed
Old Mar 31st 2012, 8:09 am
Beep

Originally Posted by alcat2010

Again the main point of the thread is to work out how to do this process of choosing where to research.
Do I get a map, close my eyes and pick wherever the finger points to ?!

Im sure this dilema has been met by many immigrants
It's quite easy IMO. Something like:

Are you happy with crazy cold winters or do you prefer it milder?

Are you happy with crazy hot and humid summers or do you prefer it milder?

Do bugs in the summer bother you?

Do you want to be near the ocean?

Do you want to be in or near mountains?

Do you want access to a large city?

Do you want easy access to international travel (UK for example)

Do you want skiing through winter?

Do you like regular events like concerts, theatre, sports?

Would you prefer to be closer to New York or California or somewhere in between?

And so on...

Visit, travel round, take time to carefully figure out what you want and don't want. Invest time and money into probably one of the biggest decisions of your life.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by el_richo
It's quite easy IMO. Something like:

Are you happy with crazy cold winters or do you prefer it milder?

----Yep, we like proper seasons.

Are you happy with crazy hot and humid summers or do you prefer it milder?

---Itl be great to actually HAVE a summer! lol

Do bugs in the summer bother you?

---Ever exprienced midges in the west of Scotland?!

Do you want to be near the ocean?

---Not particularly

Do you want to be in or near mountains?

---Near some mountains would b nice, weekend hillwalking etc.
Used to that here in abundance..

Do you want access to a large city?

---Yep. Want to be near a city, but also on outskirts for a nice balance between city opportunities and 'country' access..

Do you want easy access to international travel (UK for example)

---Would be handy but not greatly important. for ourselves and visiting family.

Do you want skiing through winter?

---Nah. But wouldnt sat no..

Do you like regular events like concerts, theatre, sports?

---Doesn't have to be regular. But need to spend our money on something!

Would you prefer to be closer to New York or California or somewhere in between?

---New York..

Visit, travel round, take time to carefully figure out what you want and don't want. Invest time and money into probably one of the biggest decisions of your life.
And then, if we find all this in a place 'on paper'... we wont actuallt know if the general environment is better than here?... I'm thinking it wouldn't be hard!

Last edited by alcat2010; Mar 31st 2012 at 10:20 am.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 11:42 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Its not so long ago that we did this and I recall having the whole where to start scenario. I think we googled Canada and got a website that explained each province in a very top level way - a paragraph each and it was mostly based on the climate there.
So, from that we started to look at Nova Scotia and Kelowna region. Google images showed a dryer more mediteranean look in Kelowna and the more Maritime view of NS.

Having a very romantic view and wanting proximity to the Florida Keys for stage 2 of our master plan, we went for NS. We did a bit of research on Kelowna but the house prices on mls kind of put paid to that idea.

We decided to try to pick a place that we would feel happy in and do our recce based on that, as Canada is of course enormous and you could recce trip your way around it for years.

We were lucky I guess in our choice as it DOES tick our boxes, we are in a place that we like, we do have jobs, I have been able to land a job better than one I ever had before that allows me to travel too.

We came to NS for a city with some history, for some quaintness, for location, for a laid back life away from the ratrace, for us we managed to get that. Its really not all plain sailing at all, but on the whole its all good.

Anyway, thats how we found our spot.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Jobs mate jobs. How are both of you going to get work? It's been all said before.
Are RN's not currently off the fed worker's list? It can also take months to get registered with College of Ontario. My wife is struggling to even get casual district work lined up for when we return and she worked in Toronto for 7 years previously. Police clearance is becoming a headache too.

You've read all the warnings about your line of work.

Employment has to be your top priority right now. Not about cold/hot or views. Focus is required. How are we going to earn/provide?
Old Mar 31st 2012, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Simple as that.

I would say there actually an advantage to targeting work while based in the UK. At least you can decide where's the best area to relocate to.

I bet many people on this site, emigrated prior to the internet era. No Expats forum or Google street views, web cams or job searches. These days, searching for employment from the UK is little different from over in Canada.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
I would say there actually an advantage to targeting work while based in the UK. At least you can decide where's the best area to relocate to.

I bet many people on this site, emigrated prior to the internet era. No Expats forum or Google street views, web cams or job searches. These days, searching for employment from the UK is little different from over in Canada.
Aye fair point, but jumping on a bus to sit tests / interviews with an employer is a little different than a 7 hour flight! Plus it may need to be done several times if unsuccessful or the entry procedures aren't condensed into one visit... big expense.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Aye fair point, but jumping on a bus to sit tests / interviews with an employer is a little different than a 7 hour flight! Plus it may need to be done several times if unsuccessful or the entry procedures aren't condensed into one visit... big expense.
Maybe that's the whole problem. You're going round in circles. There's nothing there for you to grab on to, something to give you direction.

I wish I could help you in some way.

We put our house up for sale yesterday and now I'm officially bricking it!
Old Mar 31st 2012, 1:36 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Simple as that.

Of course a job is necessary, but my opinion is that going somewhere just because there's a job available doesn't necessarily justify emigrating. Choose somewhere you really want to live (scenery, climate, amenities etc). Why move to a location that pays bills but meets no other expectation? You have that in the UK. If where you really want to move to can't offer work, I wouldn't emigrate - the process for me was about improving a situation, not making compromises. You could do that with far less cost in your own country.

The dilemma is getting a job somewhere worth spending thousands of pounds to move to, not just the job in itself.

Last edited by R I C H; Mar 31st 2012 at 1:40 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jobs mate jobs. How are both of you going to get work? It's been all said before.
Are RN's not currently off the fed worker's list? It can also take months to get registered with College of Ontario. My wife is struggling to even get casual district work lined up for when we return and she worked in Toronto for 7 years previously. Police clearance is becoming a headache too.

You've read all the warnings about your line of work.

Employment has to be your top priority right now. Not about cold/hot or views. Focus is required. How are we going to earn/provide?

As far as im aware, nurses have only reached their cap for 2011. New list in July obviously, but havent heard any news on them being off the list?

My focus initially will always be on good jobs. But no point in having a great job if its in an area thats no better than clydebank/ Glasgow!

You're from sunny Scotland mate, you've posted before the negatives about this place that we would like to live without, you've also lived in Toronto.
It's a question that is varied to personal opinions.. but is it really better? The general condition of the areas, the 'standard' and mentality of the people ( its hard to explain what I mean with that...)
Old Mar 31st 2012, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maybe that's the whole problem. You're going round in circles. There's nothing there for you to grab on to, something to give you direction.

F##kin bingo! There isn't anything to focus on.

Canada obviously arent needing qualified skilled nurses as much as we think!
Old Mar 31st 2012, 2:48 pm
Beep

Of course a job is necessary, but my opinion is that going somewhere just because there's a job available doesn't necessarily justify emigrating. Choose somewhere you really want to live (scenery, climate, amenities etc). Why move to a location that pays bills but meets no other expectation? You have that in the UK. If where you really want to move to can't offer work, I wouldn't emigrate - the process for me was about improving a situation, not making compromises. You could do that with far less cost in your own country.

The dilemma is getting a job somewhere worth spending thousands of pounds to move to, not just the job in itself.
+ 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.