Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else the Black Sheep?

Is anyone else the Black Sheep?

Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:18 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else the Black Sheep?

For those of you that are being told:
'I hope you hate it',
'You'll be back in a year',
'It's not going to work'. etc etc

Well we got some of that - mainly from hubbies workmates - It makes you more determined to make it work and stick with it so you can go ner ner ner ner ner at them!

One of said workmates has since been out to visit - you should have seen his jaw drop!

Most of our family has been supportive - my 82 year old Grandad has been amazing - we've really done the right thing, wishes he could/did move and he's really pleased for us. FIL on the other hand is refusing to come out, even though MIL has come, apparently he still thinks we'll be back begging for somewhere to say
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone,well i have had my problems with the other half{girlfriend}i had a job offer with Edge 3 years ago,at that time i was living in Watford,Steph said "move to the Isle Of Wight and we will look at Canada",so i moved to the Isle Of Blinking Wight instead of Canada.When i had the interview with Edge Steph wouldnt go to Canada as i would be away for a number of days,so after doing another Recce i got in touch with westcan,Interviewed and offered a job on their petrol Tankers.{Edge found out about this interview and cancelled my LMO}.I would be home every day,no nights out,was Steph Happy? NO!!,She still wont go.I want to go to OZ She says,OK i said,We had an interview,Yes we can get in on the 457 Visa,placement in Bunbury WA.We will go next year she says,the 457 visa is scrapped/taken away.My Mother is saying "Phil she wont leave do it yourself".I am going on my own to Canada,house almost sold,it is so unbearable living under the same roof,i know i am doing the correct thing,my gain,Stephs loss.I now have my LMO for Edge,again.I will be going hopefully in 4-6 weeks,my mother is so chuffed.{that doesnt mean she hates me}I am fortunate,my Mum says this country{UK} has had it. Never forget,if it doesnt work out you can always come back.Its better to fail by trying,than by failing and not trying!!So what have i lost;3 years by trying to convince my girlfriend,i cant get those 3 years back,not only that,one day these gates may close for truckers in canada from abroad.Good Luck to each and everyone of you black sheeps.Good thread karla.Phil.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:33 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

My family said, "Oh good, cheap holidays!"

I am still not sure if I should be pleased with the reaction or not.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I just cannot understand the mentality of some of these "so called" friends and families. Doing every thing possible to obstruct, there own offsprings wishes and futures.Dashing there hopes,with childish comments. With friends and family like these who needs enemies. Do they have no respect for you??? You are commiting no crime !!! Don't love em and leave em......just leave em
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Karla, hope everything works out the way you want it and that you and your "immediate" family are soon happy and settled in Canada. It's the family who live under your roof who matter and who you need to consider. The rest of them, let them get on with it.

At least you've told your families you're going. Me, I've still not said a word. Had our medicals middle of this month and if/when we get the go ahead then I'll face the parents I'm an only child and I have intentionally not said anything to either of them because I know as soon as I do world war III will break out. At least if we're accepted and I know we're definitely going the ear bashings will be worth it. Had I told them when we first applied I'd have spent the last 3 years being led down the eternal emotional guilt path. I also know that once we've moved every little ache, pain, illness, and problem they encounter during their lifetimes will subsequently be related to us emigrating.

Lynne
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:12 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
For those of you that are being told:
'I hope you hate it',
'You'll be back in a year',
'It's not going to work'. etc etc

Well we got some of that - mainly from hubbies workmates - It makes you more determined to make it work and stick with it so you can go ner ner ner ner ner at them!

One of said workmates has since been out to visit - you should have seen his jaw drop!

Most of our family has been supportive - my 82 year old Grandad has been amazing - we've really done the right thing, wishes he could/did move and he's really pleased for us. FIL on the other hand is refusing to come out, even though MIL has come, apparently he still thinks we'll be back begging for somewhere to say

My Mum was amazing, totally supportive.
Inlaws not so much. Insisted I was forcing my OH to move away, like he has no mind of his own.
Other family and "friends" - gave us six months and we'd be crawling back.
Been here 33 years now.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

I feel for you karla, we've been talking about Canada for a couple of years and we're going for it, just waiting for LMO.

We've had the strangest of re-actions from people, initially saying we wouldn't do it, then, so when are you thinking of going to so why is it taking so long This was not meant in a kind or friendly way, these same people said we wouldn't last 6 months as a couple, we've been married 10 years most didn't talk to us for 2 years because we said stuff you and went to Jamaica to get wed.

I have 8 brothers and a younger (blue eyed) sister who I don't see for months on end, they've all tried to get to me through my mum:curse: but luckily she's 100% behind us and can't wait to visit, even though she's only recently had a pacemaker fitted.

follow your dreams Karla if it doesn't work so what, just think of the life experience you've given your kids

As my Dad used to say you can't keep everyone happy all of the time.

Rosie
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

shasa is an unknown quantity at this point

karla,

Keep your chin up, and follow your dream. Nothing stranger than famillies!!!

Sharon
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

You're braver than me in that you've told your parents the truth.

We've just got PNP after being here on one-year work visas.

My mother thinks that we are staying for "just another year", and I think it will be that way ("just another year") for a few years to come.

That said, they have just had the whole house re-wired and renovated, new car and some rather nice holidays, so I think they are spending my inhertitance!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:07 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

For us we noticed that it really effected friends and other people around us who we thought had really good marriages and happy lives.

Lots of people confided they would be gone like a shot but the other half won't - then you notice the other half avoiding you like the palgue.....

Then we had friends who got really emotional about "what have I ever done with my life????" - so that was pretty strange when you thought they were happy!

Anyway maybe my lot put the dis in disfunctional - I don't know...

Me and the kids have just been for a pic nic and afternoon at the lake that's a 10min drive down the road - bloody lovely!

Mrs M x
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2royalgreenjackets
Hi everyone,well i have had my problems with the other half{girlfriend}i had a job offer with Edge 3 years ago,at that time i was living in Watford,Steph said "move to the Isle Of Wight and we will look at Canada",so i moved to the Isle Of Blinking Wight instead of Canada.When i had the interview with Edge Steph wouldnt go to Canada as i would be away for a number of days,so after doing another Recce i got in touch with westcan,Interviewed and offered a job on their petrol Tankers.{Edge found out about this interview and cancelled my LMO}.I would be home every day,no nights out,was Steph Happy? NO!!,She still wont go.I want to go to OZ She says,OK i said,We had an interview,Yes we can get in on the 457 Visa,placement in Bunbury WA.We will go next year she says,the 457 visa is scrapped/taken away.My Mother is saying "Phil she wont leave do it yourself".I am going on my own to Canada,house almost sold,it is so unbearable living under the same roof,i know i am doing the correct thing,my gain,Stephs loss.I now have my LMO for Edge,again.I will be going hopefully in 4-6 weeks,my mother is so chuffed.{that doesnt mean she hates me}I am fortunate,my Mum says this country{UK} has had it. Never forget,if it doesnt work out you can always come back.Its better to fail by trying,than by failing and not trying!!So what have i lost;3 years by trying to convince my girlfriend,i cant get those 3 years back,not only that,one day these gates may close for truckers in canada from abroad.Good Luck to each and everyone of you black sheeps.Good thread karla.Phil.
If going to Canada is more important than your relationship, you are probably with the wrong girl. You are doing the right thing, go and make a new life
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:32 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Karla, I found emigration extremely liberating for me, the non-favourite kid of the family. It meant the end of struggling to impress and falling short in comparison. Now they have an invitation to visit and can come (or not) as they please.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by veengraham
you are not being selfish going!
your family should be supportive and making it easy for you

funny how moving makes you realise who are the persons who really love and care for you
the one who(with tears in their eyes ) whish you all the best and hope it will work out for you regardless of their own feeling of loss and sadness

while others will stand in your way and make you feel miserable about something you should be happy to achieve

so ignore the one who are making it hard for you',you have got your own familly and are doing all you can to keep it happy .
go for it and all the best
vee
Well said Vee.

How childish of your family to behave like this. Without realising it themselves, they must be making it easier for you to just walk away leave them and all their pettiness behind, i know it would me.

We were really lucky in that we had the upmost support from all our family and friends, which made it easy to come to Canada but hard to leave everyone behind at the same time, if that makes sense.

Jo xx
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:23 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

You are doing what is right for you and your own family Karla. The others are grown up, have made their own lives and can live them how they choose.

They cannot dictate to you, and this is probably what is pissing them off! They also feel jealous on some levels too, I expect, that you are able to follow your heart. They may well feel that you are rejecting them personally, I suppose, and abandoning them, but really at their ages, they are big enough and I daresay ugly enough to take care of themselves!

I was 45 when we came here, and my OH 55. I feel that we have done a WONDERFUL thing for our family. My parents are heartbroken to "lose" us, but everytime we speak they say how pleased they are for us at the same time. They have visited .... both in their 80's and won't be well enough to come again.... and they can see what a wonderful life we have here and how good it has been for the kids.

Both our boys (14 and 19 when we arrived) say it was the best thing we ever could have done, and why didn't we come YEARS ago!

I think you really have to be firm with your family. Reassure them that you are doing it for the future of your kids, and you don't love them any the less because you have decided to go start a wonderful new life. Point out what you are moving to and why, then state quite clearly that it is not an easy decision to make but you will NOT change your minds and cancel your plans, so they will just have to deal with it.

If they persist in their antagonism point out that they are driving you further away than ever, and it is not fair of them, and if it carries on they will lose you!!

Finally good luck! Keep your eyes on the road ahead and don't let their silliness sidetrack you!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you just love posts like this. It reassures everyone that they are doing the right thing. Doesn't matter who is putting up the obstacles, just makes you know you've got to go for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.