Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:17 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
It is Easter for the Orthodox Church today, so that may be a reason too.
Possibly. I'd be surprised though
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:22 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

It's your birthday and your colleagues club together to buy you a birthday cake and they all sign a card

...In contrast to the UK where you buy the cake/s and there's no card
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:28 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
It's your birthday and your colleagues club together to buy you a birthday cake and they all sign a card

...In contrast to the UK where you buy the cake/s and there's no card
Happy Birthday
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rasen78
Happy Birthday
Thanks, twas yesterday
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

awww you had mean work colleagues - I've worked for 4 companies and always got a card (but you do have to buy your own cakes - but works out pretty well cos you then get free cakes for the rest of the year from everyone else - seems a fair trade)

Just read this whole thread and fading fast! But some good stuff. I did notice a hell of a lot of the YKYIA points that were a little negative were very applicable to UK as well so don't sweat it guys (and no, I wont quote examples cos they could have been 50+ pages ago and there were a lot of them!)

And also really noticing that some of the people who don't like Oz too much seem to be suffering 'grass is greener' syndrome, which is obviously ironic as they are often the first to 'tell it how it is' re: Oz
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abi31
awww you had mean work colleagues - I've worked for 4 companies and always got a card (but you do have to buy your own cakes - but works out pretty well cos you then get free cakes for the rest of the year from everyone else - seems a fair trade)

Just read this whole thread and fading fast! But some good stuff. I did notice a hell of a lot of the YKYIA points that were a little negative were very applicable to UK as well so don't sweat it guys (and no, I wont quote examples cos they could have been 50+ pages ago and there were a lot of them!)

And also really noticing that some of the people who don't like Oz too much seem to be suffering 'grass is greener' syndrome, which is obviously ironic as they are often the first to 'tell it how it is' re: Oz
You also need to realise that a lot of these posts are a bit tongue in cheek - this sort of thread is like that, we point out the "typically Aus" things, and we know that some happen in the UK too, but they are more prevalent in Aus.
Of course the grass is greener, it always is, only the reasons change..... and of course one person's view of Aus isn't everyones, as with the UK - I've commented in another current thread on here about totally different birthday experiences in Aus, for instance. The only birthday cards I usually get now are 3 from my family in the UK and one from my best friend. A couple of other expats generally remember too but its a far cry from the pile I used to get at home where my colleagues were also my friends.
My grass is always greener on my trips home, right now its stunningly green, the world is good.....for the next three weeks. I've noticed the prices here have risen, slower than Aus, two countries now much of a muchness.
But I will know I'm back in Aus when I go in the supermarkets and no longer see the joys of BOGOF, 2 for 1, Asda £1 offers .....
Old Apr 20th 2012, 7:00 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

YKYIAW Your nearly teenage Son 'David' evolves into a 'Davo' not a 'Dave'

Jan
Old Apr 21st 2012, 9:11 pm
Banned

Easter eggs are still available for sale at Coles/Woolies/Aldi, etc - a week after Easter.
Two weeks after Easter and they're still there!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

You go to a cafe for a cup of tea, they offer a dazzling selection of teas, then add half a cow full of milk and ruin it all

TD
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Two weeks after Easter and they're still there!
Well what else are they supposed to do if they have them left over?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

...you go to the flagship store of the biggest dept store chain and you still can't buy a pair of short leg trousers unless you have a 117cm waist.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

When the police shoot first and ask questions later.......
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 6:23 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
YKYIAW Your nearly teenage Son 'David' evolves into a 'Davo' not a 'Dave'

Jan
We already call our son Henry "Henno", so he'll fit right in
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 6:27 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
We already call our son Henry "Henno", so he'll fit right in
Wonder what they'll make of Seany
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 6:30 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Wonder what they'll make of Seany
Seano

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.