Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

WTF is going on in this country !!!!

WTF is going on in this country !!!!

Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:50 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF is going on in this country !!!!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
LOL, you can rest assured that I wasn't likening it to Coventry.

Oh, and please pardon my pedantry, but "Greater Manchester" is the county, not the city. You can't equate the two.
Then the 'city' of London most certainly doesn't have 7mil people.

And again, can I reiterate, please never mention Manchester in the same breath as Coventry

Graham
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elfman
Yep, fer sure!

Estherg is right, it's nothing like London.
When I lived in London I was repeatedly approached for buying drugs, the bus I got on my way back to my flat was held up at gun point, the driver slammed the door and sat there shaking, with the alarm going off. That was just in one day.
Theres a new murder every night on the news. Hey, I wish it wasn't like that but its true. I just can't imagine that happening back in north Queensland somehow, let alone throughout most of Q, etc.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

But if the question was "are Australian parents so concerned about knife crime that they're buying stabproof school clothing", which is I suspect closer to what the questioner meant, the answer would clearly be YES:

AUSTRALIAN parents desperate to protect children from attacks by thugs have begun ordering stab-proof tops from a British clothing firm.

They proved such a hit with British parents that Australians now inundating the company with orders to line their children's school blazers amid growing fears about knife attacks involving students.

The Essex-based company received about 10 orders for the protective tops from customers in Perth, Melbourne, Sydney and Darwin in one day alone this week.
Wow! Really? That's one person out of 130 000 in the NT alone, at least 2 people out of 3 million from Sydney, 3 impressive people out of 2.5 million in Melbourne, etc, and all this just in one day? I'm sure it's just a load of fear mongering anyway, in both Oz and the UK.

Last edited by Vegemite; Aug 24th 2007 at 4:36 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Yes.....they did actually:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23109,00.html

Why would you think it is any different?

G

I asked the question!!!

and it seems your facts are wrong!

Last edited by sammyg; Aug 24th 2007 at 3:07 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:07 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Nice cut and paste - except the core premise of the entire argument you've linked to, is utter bollocks. Those statistics make no reference whatsoever to where the crime occurs - so for the poster to suggest that "You'd have a higher chance of seeing an armed robbery occur in the UK but you're more likely to be a victim of theft / burglary yourself in Aus" is plain wrong.

As you know, all a 'per capita' statistic tells you is how many crimes occur, per head of population. So, for instance, there could have been 15000 assaults in Brisbane and 10 in Bourke - and yet the per capita statistics would merely report that there were 15010 assaults in the country per head of population - if I live in Bourke remind me again how I'm "more likely" to be a victim of assault?

If you drill down the real crime stats (as opposed to Nationmaster's ludicrously broad-brushed nonsense) it quickly becomes apparent that cities in both the UK and Oz suffer badly from all the usual city-related crimes. The same is not true of the towns and villages. I moved from a small rural town in the UK with a population of 5000, to a small rural town in Oz with a population of 5000 and the simple fact of the matter is that I am 'safer' here, than I was in the UK. Did I lose any sleep over that when I lived in the UK? No. Did it affect how I went about my life in the UK? No.

If you're going to use statistics that make no reference to population density or geographic location, then at least mention one that applies to all people, equally and has a far greater bearing on quality of life. Like this.
What's the comparative tax burden got to do with this?
Nationmaster is bollocks/nonsense? Methinks you do protest too much.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:14 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite
When I lived in London I was repeatedly approached for buying drugs, the bus I got on my way back to my flat was held up at gun point, the driver slammed the door and sat there shaking, with the alarm going off.
and when I lived for three and a half years in London (within walking distance of Brixton) I never saw anything of the sort, but that's not to say it never happened.
You can't judge stuff like crime rates/personal safety purely on anecdotal evidence and personal experience.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:21 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

What's the comparative tax burden got to do with this?
Nationmaster is bollocks/nonsense? Methinks you do protest too much.
Yes, Nationmaster is bollocks. Only statistics that affect everyone equally are of any use - and even then, not much.

And the day I need lecturing on crime levels from someone who willingly chose to live in the USA ...

You can't judge stuff like crime rates/personal safety purely on anecdotal evidence and personal experience.
But it's okay to look at some meaningless per-capita statistic on crime levels are draw any kind of useful inference is it? Of course people are going to base things on personal experience. What's the alternative - pore over a table of statistics to decide if it's safe to nip down the shops for a pint of milk?

Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bushman has a brilliant futureBushman has a brilliant futureBushman has a brilliant futureBushman has a brilliant futureBushman has a brilliant futureBushman has a brilliant futureBushman has a brilliant future

I work with the general public and I can't begin to say how miserable and rude people have become. People have simply forgot how to smile and be nice to each other. Self, self, self thats all people are interested in, oh and money. Where's the "fair go mate" gone. My partner and I are off to Oz early next year, at least the sun shines there.

Bushman.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ahem..speaking of this very topic here, and quoting from it, "the grass is not greener in Australia", look what I stumbled upon in another thread. It's the world's most liveable cities report for 2007...

Also an article about this report, from The Economist, the same people who assessed the cities, entitled:

"Liveability. Where the grass is greener
Aug 22nd 2007"

NOW, how's that for a laugh? What a co-incidental title!

Here's what they said:

"With low crime, little threat from instability or terrorism and a highly developed transport and communications infrastructure, Canada and Australia are home to the most liveable destinations in the world. Four of the ten most liveable cities surveyed by the Economist Intelligence Unit are in Australia.

While liveability considers factors of recreational and cultural activity, the "big city buzz" can hamper the scores of some cities, although not to the extent that a city will present significant challenges. Global centres such as New York, Tokyo, London, Hong Kong and Paris may find themselves let down precisely because of their size and attractiveness. Traffic congestion and higher crime rates associated with large urban centres have, to some extent, offset the obvious cultural gains of living in such locations."

See the WORLDS MOST LIVEABLE CITIES thread for 2007. Where is London on the list? Hm, Hm?

Ok, the debate is officially over. We rest our case.

Last edited by Vegemite; Aug 24th 2007 at 4:34 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 4:13 pm
Banned

MICKY DANDAN will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley

11 years Matt! 11 long painful years of "F**k you, I'm alright Jack". After she was stabbed in the back and booted out, did you think that those years would just simply melt away and we'd be instantly taken back to a 1950's utopia where firm but fair Policemen would give kids a clip 'round the ear and send them home?

The fall-out of those years is still there in Britain. Tony Blair has hardly reversed them has he?
how was it painfull, the iron lady was the best pm we ever had, better than the jelly fish know as tony blair
Old Aug 24th 2007, 4:22 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley

11 years Matt! 11 long painful years of "F**k you, I'm alright Jack". After she was stabbed in the back and booted out, did you think that those years would just simply melt away and we'd be instantly taken back to a 1950's utopia where firm but fair Policemen would give kids a clip 'round the ear and send them home?

The fall-out of those years is still there in Britain. Tony Blair has hardly reversed them has he?
She retired in '92, how can it be 11 years?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 4:24 pm
Banned

MICKY DANDAN will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
She retired in '92, how can it be 11 years?
he forgot about mr major
Old Aug 24th 2007, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

and when I lived for three and a half years in London (within walking distance of Brixton) I never saw anything of the sort, but that's not to say it never happened.
I lived in Brixton actually. That's where the bus got held up. See the world's most liveable cities report for any clarification that my personal experience wasn't just my own personal experience.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 4:34 pm
A lion in your lap

Originally Posted by Hutch
Nationmaster is bollocks.
So can we expect you to instruct them where they can find better and more accurate sources of data than the UN, the OECD, and the CIA?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE

But it's okay to look at some meaningless per-capita statistic on crime levels are draw any kind of useful inference is it? Of course people are going to base things on personal experience. What's the alternative - pore over a table of statistics to decide if it's safe to nip down the shops for a pint of milk?

[/QUOTE]

haha, good point. Your personal experience does count for something surely?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.