Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

WTF is going on in this country !!!!

Wikiposts

WTF is going on in this country !!!!

Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:58 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF is going on in this country !!!!

Originally Posted by Hutch
Here we go again ... it's all the media's fault - Australia's because they don't report the 'truth' and the UK's because they always make it out to be a crime-ridden hell-hole. Wake me up in a decade when you've come up with a new argument ...

Long time no talk Hutch, how is life?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:01 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by estherg
I agree, but Britain is going down the pan. And what sort of scum kill 11 year old children. Its time the gov got harder on the parents of the low life kid gangs and on Knife & Gun Crimes:curse:. A little like they do at football.
I agree they are scum but they are no less a scum than teenageers bashing and raping 80 year old women .
This is a tragedy for sure but this kind of crap has been going on for years and i can think of the bulger case for starters .
I spend a lot of time in the uk and i dont believe its going down the pan but i suppose i see it from outsiders eyes now and can see the positives about the uk whereas the residents of the uk are focusing on the negatives ie council tax ,murders ,migrants etc and most of the time to be honest i have found the brits to be a pessimistic lot these days .Its about time they started looking around at what they have instead of focussing on things they think exist ie a crime free utopia where everyone works 10 hours a week and earns squillions and spend the rest of the time on the beach or at barbies .

Last edited by king kong; Aug 24th 2007 at 1:03 am.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sammyg
Here, here

i know we'll get the...'everything happens here too you know', 'same s**t different bucket' comments but i've been reading the Courier Mail and Gold coast bulletin for the last few weeks and i sure haven't seen such sick and violent crimes happening there on such a frequent basis!

Someone buy our house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I totally agree with you. It's NOT the same in Oz. When I lived in the UK I couldn't get over the amount of violent crimes that were on the news each week, and that was just for the Sussex area. It's a great shame.

Somebody buy their house!!!!! lol. That made me laugh.

V.

Last edited by Vegemite; Aug 24th 2007 at 1:20 am.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Oh Issie,

I really can't say that Australia is a zillion miles away from incidents like that in the UK.
Some guy here drove his car into a lake with his 3 infant boys in the back, swam out of it and let them drown - just to get back at his wife.
There's shootings on the streets here and terrible fights and robberies all the time. Some ar*ehole broke into a 90 year old's house recently, beat her until she couldn't fight back and then robbed her of two bedside drawers!
Sometimes I feel very unsafe here and yet, back in Glasgow where I'm from, I feel I could freely walk around that city and not be in any fear!
The grass is nowhere near any greener here when it comes to violence in the streets, I'm very sorry to say.

*pearly*
I don't know what it's like in Glasgow but for sure Oz has less of its share of violent crimes than England. I think that's quite obvious just by turning on the television each night. Sometimes the grass IS greener and I know where I'd much prefer to live. It's getting worse in Oz too, like England, but we have a fair way to go before we catch up to the U.K, thats fer sure!

Last edited by Vegemite; Aug 24th 2007 at 1:21 am.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

Originally Posted by king kong
I agree they are scum but they are no less a scum than teenageers bashing and raping 80 year old women .
This is a tragedy for sure but this kind of crap has been going on for years and i can think of the bulger case for starters .
I spend a lot of time in the uk and i dont believe its going down the pan but i suppose i see it from outsiders eyes now and can see the positives about the uk whereas the residents of the uk are focusing on the negatives ie council tax ,murders ,migrants etc and most of the time to be honest i have found the brits to be a pessimistic lot these days .Its about time they started looking around at what they have instead of focussing on things they think exist ie a crime free utopia where everyone works 10 hours a week and earns squillions and spend the rest of the time on the beach or at barbies .
When I say going down the pan, I mean Kids/ Teenagers are so impressed with the US bad boy gangs, its very sad. I am of the late 80/90's and never knew the little pistol wiping girl gangs and gangs of Boys shooting little lads coming back from playing footie.

I have just come back from Oz and know its not perfect, I just wanted to say that its time the Gov and parents of the scum bags that do such crimes
be it 10 year / 19 yrs should get hard on them.

I know that oz still has problems with youth but its nothing like London !!!!!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:32 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite
I don't know what it's like in Glasgow but for sure Oz has less of its share of violent crimes than England. I think that's quite obvious just by turning on the television each night. Sometimes the grass IS greener and I know where I'd much prefer to live. It's getting worse in Oz too, like England, but we have a fair way to go before we catch up to the U.K, thats fer sure!
for sure? perhaps you missed this post:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=35

see also here:

http://www.nationmaster.com/index.php
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:39 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
she left power 15 years ago!

Next you're going to tell me the miners strikes were her problem....

11 years Matt! 11 long painful years of "F**k you, I'm alright Jack". After she was stabbed in the back and booted out, did you think that those years would just simply melt away and we'd be instantly taken back to a 1950's utopia where firm but fair Policemen would give kids a clip 'round the ear and send them home?

The fall-out of those years is still there in Britain. Tony Blair has hardly reversed them has he?

Last edited by Fenton Beasley; Aug 24th 2007 at 2:17 am.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:57 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Current population of Perth is 1.5 million. London is above 7 million (so obviously not comparable). The next largest city is Birmingham, with a mere 1 million (perhaps comparable at a stretch?) but the rest of them aren't even in the same league. Glasgow around 600k; Liverpool & Edinburgh around 500k each; Manchester & Coventry around 400k; Bradford & Cardiff around 300k each; Nottingham around 250k. Examples could be multiplied.
I know this thread is a little serious - talking about murders and all that - and I know I wouldn't usually question your googling skills Vash, but I take considerable exception to you mentioning Manchester in the same sentence as Coventry

GREATER Manchester (which, let's face it, is Manchester) has a population of around 2mil.

Please never, EVER, mention aliken it in any way to Coventry again.

Graham
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:16 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: WTF is going on in this country !!!!

Originally Posted by Grayling
No..... they didn't actually.

The question was "Did Aus start selling stab-proof school uniform last week?"

You have linked to a story in which a British company (not Australian) sold stabproof British school uniforms to British parents, and has recently started taking orders from Australian parents.

So the correct answer is "No, Australia did not start selling stab-proof school uniforms last week. Nor has it done so at any time".

Why would you think it is any different?

G
For all the obvious reasons: difference in population; difference in demographics; difference in crime trends.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:19 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by estherg
When I say going down the pan, I mean Kids/ Teenagers are so impressed with the US bad boy gangs, its very sad. I am of the late 80/90's and never knew the little pistol wiping girl gangs and gangs of Boys shooting little lads coming back from playing footie.

I have just come back from Oz and know its not perfect, I just wanted to say that its time the Gov and parents of the scum bags that do such crimes
be it 10 year / 19 yrs should get hard on them.

I know that oz still has problems with youth but its nothing like London !!!!!
i think the fascination for the likes of fiddy and G-unit and alike does breed a certain amount of contempt for society .
I was 16 at the height of the sex pistol era [76 -77 ] and we didint have a lot of time for society either and we where never backwards at coming forwards in a stoush .
London no doubt would have a fair amount of crime after all they were cutting the heads of policemen over 20 years ago ,so to be honest the use of guns and knives probably has always been around and to try and compare london to a anywhere in aussie is a little unreasonable as it s population is so much bigger than any city here .
But however melbourne ,sydney would give the likes of birmingham ,manchester ,glasgow,edinburgh ,liverpooll a run for their money .
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:21 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: WTF is going on in this country !!!!

Originally Posted by northerner
I know this thread is a little serious - talking about murders and all that - and I know I wouldn't usually question your googling skills Vash, but I take considerable exception to you mentioning Manchester in the same sentence as Coventry

GREATER Manchester (which, let's face it, is Manchester) has a population of around 2mil.

Please never, EVER, mention aliken it in any way to Coventry again.

Graham
LOL, you can rest assured that I wasn't likening it to Coventry.

Oh, and please pardon my pedantry, but "Greater Manchester" is the county, not the city. You can't equate the two.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:23 am
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: WTF is going on in this country !!!!

But however melbourne ,sydney would give the likes of birmingham ,manchester ,glasgow,edinburgh ,liverpooll a run for their money .
Agreed.

And with populations up to five times the size of their UK counterparts, it's hardly surprising.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:29 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
No..... they didn't actually.

The question was "Did Aus start selling stab-proof school uniform last week?"

You have linked to a story in which a British company (not Australian) sold stabproof British school uniforms to British parents, and has recently started taking orders from Australian parents.

So the correct answer is "No, Australia did not start selling stab-proof school uniforms last week. Nor has it done so at any time".
But if the question was "are Australian parents so concerned about knife crime that they're buying stabproof school clothing", which is I suspect closer to what the questioner meant, the answer would clearly be YES:

AUSTRALIAN parents desperate to protect children from attacks by thugs have begun ordering stab-proof tops from a British clothing firm.

They proved such a hit with British parents that Australians now inundating the company with orders to line their children's school blazers amid growing fears about knife attacks involving students.

The Essex-based company received about 10 orders for the protective tops from customers in Perth, Melbourne, Sydney and Darwin in one day alone this week.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

i think the fascination for the likes of fiddy and G-unit and alike does breed a certain amount of contempt for society .
I was 16 at the height of the sex pistol era [76 -77 ] and we didint have a lot of time for society either and we where never backwards at coming forwards in a stoush .
London no doubt would have a fair amount of crime after all they were cutting the heads of policemen over 20 years ago ,so to be honest the use of guns and knives probably has always been around and to try and compare london to a anywhere in aussie is a little unreasonable as it s population is so much bigger than any city here .
Agree! but most of the lads growing up never went to over the top fear of the older lot! and what they would do to them !Sorry old school
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:47 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Nice cut and paste - except the core premise of the entire argument you've linked to, is utter bollocks. Those statistics make no reference whatsoever to where the crime occurs - so for the poster to suggest that "You'd have a higher chance of seeing an armed robbery occur in the UK but you're more likely to be a victim of theft / burglary yourself in Aus" is plain wrong.

As you know, all a 'per capita' statistic tells you is how many crimes occur, per head of population. So, for instance, there could have been 15000 assaults in Brisbane and 10 in Bourke - and yet the per capita statistics would merely report that there were 15010 assaults in the country per head of population - if I live in Bourke remind me again how I'm "more likely" to be a victim of assault?

If you drill down the real crime stats (as opposed to Nationmaster's ludicrously broad-brushed nonsense) it quickly becomes apparent that cities in both the UK and Oz suffer badly from all the usual city-related crimes. The same is not true of the towns and villages. I moved from a small rural town in the UK with a population of 5000, to a small rural town in Oz with a population of 5000 and the simple fact of the matter is that I am 'safer' here, than I was in the UK. Did I lose any sleep over that when I lived in the UK? No. Did it affect how I went about my life in the UK? No.

If you're going to use statistics that make no reference to population density or geographic location, then at least mention one that applies to all people, equally and has a far greater bearing on quality of life. Like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.