Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I love Australian dried apricots. I can't eat the Turkish ones with the Sulphur Dioxide on them it makes me ill.

I can't find them in the UK and I have heard even Australia seems to be stopping them as well.
Make your own. Peel apricots and put them on a wire rack in a fan forced oven set to 100 for about 2 hours. Check if they're dry as you would like and either dehydrate a couple of hours longer or take them our and keep in an air tight container. I also used to dry pineapple, apples, any kind of fruit really.
Originally Posted by seayork2002
I will admit the main thing I miss is my Long Blacks (coffee I am talking coffee!!!) and I hate Starbucks (sorry if anyone loves) I have never had a good coffee there (in any country I have been too)
I remember about 15 years ago my husband and I driving to Seattle, 3 hours away from our home in Vancouver, to try a Starbucks. We took a sip of our coffee and both said the same thing, "We drove 100 miles for THIS!?!"

Best food I've gotten into is pavlova. I used to make it in Canada, too, but for some reason it tastes much better here. Must be the fan forced ovens and fresh fruit for the topping.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:51 pm
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future
Default Re: Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

sushi and peking duck hand rolls from just opened in Belconnen Sushi Sushi. Salt Bush lamb (sweet), Trunkey Creek organic pork, swordfish, ocean trout, Orange Roughy and Crystal Bay prawns from Fishco Downunder, to much to list really.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 9:52 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emelems
Fresh bread from our bakers.. and the white salty thin stick bread thing in our local cafe.. hmmmmm
Italian grissini?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Best food I've gotten into is pavlova. I used to make it in Canada, too, but for some reason it tastes much better here. Must be the fan forced ovens and fresh fruit for the topping.
Of course it isn't right in Canada - it's not their food!!

What really annoys me about Australians these days is that they don't know the origin of this food.

Nobody has any idea it was named after Anna Pavlova (hence the ballet colours of the thing). Plus everybody mispronounces it 'Pav-Uh-Lova'.

I haven't had Burger Rings since I was in high school. I'll have to try them again. They sold them in our school canteen - in the days before anything remotely tasty was banned. I ate them and didn't become obese. Dumb politicians and their dumb ideas.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Tiger prawns. Yum

A flat white. Yummy

Honey and Soy Chicken Red Rock Deli Chips (or crisps as I still call them). Yummy Yummy
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:22 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
Of course it isn't right in Canada - it's not their food!!

What really annoys me about Australians these days is that they don't know the origin of this food.
I thought Pavlova was generally accepted (except by Aussies!) to be of New Zealand origin though?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:27 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Not so much a food but a herb...Vietnamese mint...so refreshing in salads and a taste sensation I had never experienced before
Old Mar 1st 2009, 1:16 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

the best has to be a bag of FANTALES - Yummm! bet you cant just eat one...
Old Mar 1st 2009, 1:18 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

the Coles bakery flat burger rolls (6pack) are a brill idea and they are nice and chewy too
Old Mar 1st 2009, 1:25 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
the best has to be a bag of FANTALES - Yummm! bet you cant just eat one...
Where I used to work we bought Fantales and Minties by the 5 kilo bag as fillers for client gifts. The majority of them ended up being filler for my gob.

Today I discovered a new favourite food. Balsamic vinegar and sea salt flavoured rice cakes. I ate 3 of them this afternoon and my mouth is all burnt from the vinegar. Yummy.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Where I used to work we bought Fantales and Minties by the 5 kilo bag as fillers for client gifts. The majority of them ended up being filler for my gob.

Today I discovered a new favourite food. Balsamic vinegar and sea salt flavoured rice cakes. I ate 3 of them this afternoon and my mouth is all burnt from the vinegar. Yummy.

Only 3!! You are good.

I don't buy them anymore as once they are open...........ooops!

They burn the skin of the tongue, but they are so moorish.

Last edited by stm1971; Mar 1st 2009 at 1:43 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you like them you might like to try Fantastic Delite Sea Salt & Balsamic Vinegar crackers. Strange texture but the taste make up for it!

You cannot hold me responsible if you open the packet and ...............well you know!
Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

well coffee for a start, i thought coffee was a dirty dishwater served in a greasy spoon or a nice frothy milky one from wimpy, but when i moved to melbourne in 99 and had a latte, my word.

Chicken Parmagiana, with chips and salad, oh baby !!!

Steaks the size of a plate and juicy juicy juicy.

Lovely fresh foccacia's

and my favourite of all, JAPANESE FOOD !!!! everywhere, Sushi, cheap, yummy, healthy and worth its wait in gold.

I but some sushi in tescos last week out of desperation and it was crunchy.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:03 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Twisties are my all time favourite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm
I also miss Fantales, Paddlepop any flavour, Minties, fried Dim Sims, Big M's
The list goes on and on....
J x
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:13 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

having the weather to grow your own veggies and fruit

i mean where abouts in manchester could i have gone down the garden and come back with a couple of passion fruits for breakfast
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:30 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
having the weather to grow your own veggies and fruit

i mean where abouts in manchester could i have gone down the garden and come back with a couple of passion fruits for breakfast

Glad you said garden and not street or you could have ended up with anything!
(From an oldham lass)
J x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.