Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

Originally Posted by krestsaf
Thanks to Grayling for hijacking the post and creating a debate on the fishing industry of Australia. :curse:

you are too kind
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:50 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

Originally Posted by krestsaf
Thanks to Grayling for hijacking the post and creating a debate on the fishing industry of Australia. :curse:

Quite impressive how people take time to query whether the fish at Sydney markets are from Sydney waters? or do you ask for a written guarantee receipt with each prawn?

I prefer to sit on the harbour with my jaffa cakes!
Red Emperor
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Red Emperor
At least it is a proper WILD fish
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:57 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Must be the transport costs to Brisbane then

I prefer the Kensington pride.....those are the ones we buy.

G
Most older mango trees are Kensington Pride [Bowen] The newer variety are the Calypso ones with a smaller seed, just as tasty but a smaller mango [easier to package]
Get yourself out of town to some of the roadside retailers they average $10 bucks a box around here with about 10-12 per box. Try before you buy though as they often pass Turpentine Mangoes off as Bowen
Exotic fruit is something else we've come to enjoy a lot more of here. Living rural we don't pay the big bucks that you guys in the city do either. There's usually someone bringing excess fruit into the local club for folks to take home. I don't remember the last time we bought Lemons
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Most older mango trees are Kensington Pride [Bowen] The newer variety are the Calypso ones with a smaller seed, just as tasty but a smaller mango [easier to package]
Get yourself out of town to some of the roadside retailers they average $10 bucks a box around here with about 10-12 per box. Try before you buy though as they often pass Turpentine Mangoes off as Bowen
Exotic fruit is something else we've come to enjoy a lot more of here. Living rural we don't pay the big bucks that you guys in the city do either. There's usually someone bringing excess fruit into the local club for folks to take home. I don't remember the last time we bought Lemons
Don't start me on lemons - every other house has a lemon tree here and they fruit like you wouldn't believe.
Not us though, we have to pay $6.99 a kilo!!!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:04 am
Bitter and twisted

We have done that in the past.

Unfortunately, as there are only the two of us. it often goes off before we have time to get through it.

Hence we tend to buy smaller quantities now.

BTW I am after a tinny for the river and lakes but not sure what size I can handle (launch/retrieve) on my own....any suggestions?

G
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:07 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Don't start me on lemons - every other house has a lemon tree here and they fruit like you wouldn't believe.
Bloody hell I did get a shock the other day as Deb needed some Limes for a curry, they were astronomical per Kilo. I bought her one & some lime juice in a plastic bottle

G go something about 3.5m up to 20 hp you'll be fine on your own. I launch & retrieve my 5.5 on my own but it's bloody hard work, not something I relish
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Send the 10 year old out on his bike to grab some over hanging ones

If you can find a 10 year old that is.

Personally my favourite food discovery here, is the more or less Authentic real pizzas from the Original la Porchettas down in Rathdown st Carlton..... Just up the road from my kids primary school. They seem different to the other La Porchetta brands.

Also the real doner kebabs we get here in Coburg, with the home made bread etc.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 13th 2009 at 11:11 am.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:11 am
Bitter and twisted

G go something about 3.5m up to 20 hp you'll be fine on your own. I launch & retrieve my 5.5 on my own but it's bloody hard work, not something I relish

Thanks.....I need to go to a ramp and watch other old buggers at it to get an idea....I had a boat around that size in mind.

As for lemons and limes.....we have several trees but can't get at them for all the weeds that have sprung up

G
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Miss little tins of flavoured tuna out in Australia, could have lived off those.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:16 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

interesting that some seafood such as prawns is probably imported from exactly the same place as it is imported into the UK from ie. Thailand and Pakistan.

Not if you find a good fishmonger - the one I go to only uses Australian and New Zealand products
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

I have an addiction to Farmers union iced coffee...why dont you find iced coffee in the UK I will never know.

Sushi, yes its in the UK but its everywhere here and cheap to eat.

Morton bay bugs...yummy

Smoked Oysters....yes the cheap kind in the tin, love em.

The good old Tim tam slam (could you do this with penguins?)

Fresh smoothies.

Flake & Barra.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
Bring your credit card.....mangoes are about $4-5 each at the moment! The bloody things are supposed to be in season as well.
99 cents each, here at our local fruit and veg store, but a lot higher in Woolworths.

I can't stand them though, but my wife and daughter have them almost every day.

Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kids carer
Thats how I imagined what a jaffa cake might look like or maybe its a chocolate orange cake of some sort but now I am curious to know what an *english* jaffa cake really looks like
Small biscuit sized
:

Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:34 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

At least it is a proper WILD fish
the one i caught was livid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.