Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice
Default Re: Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

oh man, forgot how much I love those, yummy
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:33 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

All of these fruits can be got in the uk (except for maybe bowen mangoes) but they weren't really part of my diet back there...

bowen mangoes
passion fruit
cherries
blueberries
custard apples
longan (small lychees basically)

Also discovered the following treats:

big prawns, (not those tiny little shrimps that came like frozen peas in a bag in UK)
moreton bay bugs
mudcrabs with XO sauce or salt and pepper
coral trout
flathead

and some chinese items I never used to have:
pork belly (yum)
home-made bbq pork
steamed duck/quails
salty eggs
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:07 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Burger rings! yuk! disgusting!

Foods I love here are as follows:

Fresh bread from our bakers.. and the white salty thin stick bread thing in our local cafe.. hmmmmm

The beef from our local butchers is to die for..

Fruit & Veg on a massive scale.. tho OH and I now go up to Noosa Farm Markets each Sunday morning and get our 5 a day supplies for the entire week.. cheap, mostly organic and tastes gorg.. plus lasts all week

Mangoes... they were $1.57 each from our local veggie shop here.. bought one.. didnt have a clue what to do with it tho.. has a whacking great stone in the middle that didnt seem to want to budge and by the time i had hacked it with a knife, it was all juice and stone, no flesh

Other stuff: Rocky Road bars.. mmmmmmmmmmmm

Choc in general is pretty dire..

Em x

PS Jatz !!! How could I forget Jatz... mmm oh.. and Arnolds Ginger Nuts..

Last edited by emelems; Jan 14th 2009 at 3:08 am. Reason: Forgot the biccies!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Cherry ripe
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:07 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Burger rings! yuk! disgusting!
had a pack about an hour ago...mmm.

Originally Posted by emelems
Mangoes... they were $1.57 each from our local veggie shop here.. bought one.. didnt have a clue what to do with it tho.. has a whacking great stone in the middle that didnt seem to want to budge and by the time i had hacked it with a knife, it was all juice and stone, no flesh
http://homecooking.about.com/od/howt...s/cutmango.htm

there is also a "step 8" where you take the seed and suck the juices from all the leftover bits of mango
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

what are burger rings????
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Cherry ripe
Spot on! and Cherry Ripe Double Dipped

Em x
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by markallwood
had a pack about an hour ago...mmm.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/howt...s/cutmango.htm

there is also a "step 8" where you take the seed and suck the juices from all the leftover bits of mango
Well thank you very much! I was attempting to deal with like you would an avocado!

Much easier... just slice off the juicy bit, criss cross and then use paring knife to lift out flesh... excellent!

Ta

Em x

Last edited by emelems; Jan 14th 2009 at 4:31 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:56 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
what are burger rings????
they are crisps, puffy corn rings. And they taste like real beefburgers...its uncanny!!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

that sounds like my kinda thing. I have a secret fetish for disgusting snacks. I used to lurve pickled onion monster munch
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:09 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Cheds
Blue Costello cheese
Charcol chicken
Grilled Whiting/ red snapper from the chippie (And I don't give a rats where its bloody from)
Violet Crumble
Chicken salt
Lemon salt
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Oh you shouldn't have reminded me...I miss chicken salt now! And I am sorry but the cooked chickens you get in Morrisons etc here are not the same as the Charcoal chickens in Australia

But I also love Yerros which is different to Kebabs. Not sure why but I think they are anyway.

Originally Posted by hevs
Cheds
Blue Costello cheese
Charcol chicken
Grilled Whiting/ red snapper from the chippie (And I don't give a rats where its bloody from)
Violet Crumble
Chicken salt
Lemon salt
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:54 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seayork2002
Oh you shouldn't have reminded me...I miss chicken salt now! And I am sorry but the cooked chickens you get in Morrisons etc here are not the same as the Charcoal chickens in Australia

But I also love Yerros which is different to Kebabs. Not sure why but I think they are anyway.
Anyone tried yabbies? Apparently the lake here is full of them. Must get myself a couple of traps.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

They are good with garlic

Originally Posted by Burbage
Anyone tried yabbies? Apparently the lake here is full of them. Must get myself a couple of traps.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

kids carer will become famous soon enoughkids carer will become famous soon enough

They look similar to a biscuit we have here by griffins called sensations, they are quite good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.